• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

realistic expectations

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

15 minutes ago, michibull said:

I didn’t watch the game yesterday; but if our QB is not selling out for first downs, he does not have the toughness or attitude to lead this team. That would be a reflection of not only the player but the coaching staff as well (which is maybe an indication of why our defense is soft as well). I cannot see a situation where Grothe, BJ or QF would not put their head down to get it done. We have never been the most talented teams, we have not had the best coaches, but with QB’s like Grothe, BJ and QF, and “go get ‘em” coaches like CJL and CWT, they had a fight and edge to them that won games we shouldn’t have. You don’t see that at all with USF football teams of late; there is no killer instinct, it is a sterile, bland, passionless type of playing style. That’s why no one cares about them and why we are losing the few fans we have. 

We used to have teams that had some dog in them.  Maybe not as talented but they fought hard and were gritty.  Now we have less talent to go along with less dog.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

25 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Assuming youre not trolling.

10, 7, 4....what comes next? They were trending down and it was obvious that Chuck wasn't doing anything. We should have just let him finish his contract or quit.

I'm not sure what puc does can be called trolling, it's more sophisticated than that ........ and I like your moxie in starting this thread. Your 10,7,4 notation is brilliant. CCS was on pace for a 1 win season ...

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Many of you think after going 1-8 think we should be beating the better teams in our conference after a coaching change and covid.

Why do you think this and what is your expectation for this year? 7 wins?

I think this is a fair question. We’ve been told that Florida is the most fertile recruiting state with large amounts of talented football players and that our recruiting is getting better, CJS is a young up and coming offensive coach and that the players have bought into his plan. We’ve been told that the culture is changing in a huge, great way. We’ve been told that it can’t get any worse. Therefore, it’s natural for us to get our hopes and expectations up. 

As for my expectations; I expect the University (academics and athletics) that I love, support and stand by, put the same amount of passion into being the best it can possibly be. I have not seen that from them, therefore I am upset and fed up with it. I see this team being a 1 win team (FCS only because there is no passion from the players or coaches). I see us being a 1 win team next year and the year after, because until I see fire and emotions from the coaching staff, Nothing on the field will change. 

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,521
  • Days Won:  3

9 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Many of you think after going 1-8 think we should be beating the better teams in our conference after a coaching change and covid.

Why do you think this and what is your expectation for this year? 7 wins?

1. Hope

2. We had time to establish our offensive/defensive schemes during the off-season

3. New recruits

I never expected to have more than 4 wins, but we barely look competitive, and the only times we have is when the other teams let their foot off of the gas.

My expectation is slowly becoming 2-10 on the season. Mangham is a bright spot, Timmy is playing well, Jimmy Horn and Xavier Weaver are both talented. That’s about it though.

Brinkman has been not good this year. Multiple dropped passes, missed blocks on the edge. Hopefully we find a TE in the off-season.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,521
  • Days Won:  3

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm not sure what puc does can be called trolling, it's more sophisticated than that ........ and I like your moxie in starting this thread. Your 10,7,4 notation is brilliant. CCS was on pace for a 1 win season ...

In hindsight, I think we should have let him finish out the contract. We have thrown away so much money on firing coaches.

I wonder how much of the coaching problems is from the University saying grades and culture come first, athletic success comes later?

4 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

We have two weeks to prepare for a home game against a 1-4 Tulsa team that lost to UC Davis. If we don't get a W there, 1-11 is not out of the question. I'm guessing we do beat Tulsa though, and end up with around 4 wins on the season. Every game will be an adventure though...

I think Tulsa is favored to win per ESPN.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  772

43 minutes ago, michibull said:

I didn’t watch the game yesterday; but if our QB is not selling out for first downs, he does not have the toughness or attitude to lead this team. That would be a reflection of not only the player but the coaching staff as well (which is maybe an indication of why our defense is soft as well). I cannot see a situation where Grothe, BJ or QF would not put their head down to get it done. We have never been the most talented teams, we have not had the best coaches, but with QB’s like Grothe, BJ and QF, and “go get ‘em” coaches like CJL and CWT, they had a fight and edge to them that won games we shouldn’t have. You don’t see that at all with USF football teams of late; there is no killer instinct, it is a sterile, bland, passionless type of playing style. That’s why no one cares about them and why we are losing the few fans we have. 

We also had killer instinct on defense. You can’t forget the talent we had on both sides of the ball. When you have people stand up around you, it makes life a little easier to play and not make mistakes. He’s not the only player and doesn’t play defense. 

• Content Count:  772

22 minutes ago, michibull said:

I think this is a fair question. We’ve been told that Florida is the most fertile recruiting state with large amounts of talented football players and that our recruiting is getting better, CJS is a young up and coming offensive coach and that the players have bought into his plan. We’ve been told that the culture is changing in a huge, great way. We’ve been told that it can’t get any worse. Therefore, it’s natural for us to get our hopes and expectations up. 

As for my expectations; I expect the University (academics and athletics) that I love, support and stand by, put the same amount of passion into being the best it can possibly be. I have not seen that from them, therefore I am upset and fed up with it. I see this team being a 1 win team (FCS only because there is no passion from the players or coaches). I see us being a 1 win team next year and the year after, because until I see fire and emotions from the coaching staff, Nothing on the field will change. 

Which Florida school looks amazing right now?  All Florida schools seem to have taken a massive hit.

Edited by CycleBull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

38 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

We used to have teams that had some dog in them.  Maybe not as talented but they fought hard and were gritty.  Now we have less talent to go along with less dog.

dead funny dog GIFWe still have some dog in us but unfortunately we are a different breed nowadays.

• Haha 3

• Content Count:  142
  • Days Won:  0

Aside from the FAMU game, this season is going the way it honestly should (I feel we should have beaten FAMU a little more than we did).  

The schedule has been absolutely brutal.  Four losses against three teams in the top 25 and the fourth team likely to be ranked this coming week.  Of course, 45-0 is inexcusable, but its tough to say there hasnt been clear (albeit minimal) progress from game to game in some facets, namely the TRUE FRESHMAN Quarterback.  Offensively, we are at the point where we are executing the easy and medium difficulty plays at a more consistent level.  The next obvious step is to begin exploiting the opposing team's mistakes, which again, will start happening, and I think it will be within the next game or so.  Timmy is going to settle down as he gains more experience and hit those deep throws to our wide open receivers.  Once that starts happening, it will be 2015 all over again.  

Defensively, I mean what exactly can we do when we are down to literally nobody in the secondary?  I know it's an excuse, but it is also a fact.  Nobody needed a bye week more than this team right now.  We also knew that the Dline was going to be a problem before the season even started, so nothing should really be a surprise there.

For me, the season starts against Tulsa.  Aside from Cincinnati, we play against teams that should give this team an opportunity to blossom.  I have seen progress, but I want to see more.  I honestly feel this team is close to having that 2015 Syracuse game, and it may be as soon as 10/16.

• Upvote 4

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

Many claim Taggart was a good coach, the best since Leavitt.

Taggart coached a few years at Western Ky before coming to one of his dream jobs near where he grew up.

He had his problem with what offense to use, etc.  Many “consultants” helped him get on the right track eventually.  He was a great recruiter.

Taggart’s progression and record:

95D3007A-0B07-4C9A-94D6-25B2D9F2B923.jpeg

Scott is a rookie head coach

Last year’s development and practice was significantly curtailed due to the China virus and reactions to it.

In our first five games we have played four teams that are Top 25 or will soon be (SMU).

And only Scott followed a completely lazy grifter, the disinterested Charlie Strong.

I’m all about the winning, but to pull this wreck out of a almost consistent 12 year free fall at this point in time doesn’t make sense. 

No one knows at this point how this ends, but I think we’d all take in a little perspective about the damage done to this program and bake that into our expectations.

• Like 1