• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men’s hoops additions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

24 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

ETSU, UNC-W, just seems like we are simply trying to fill out a roster and are asking anyone that is interested.  This next season will be interesting or more than likely it won’t.

Next season will be very interesting - new players, coach on the hot seat, etc. Will it be successful or not is a different story and look forward to seeing how this plays out.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

ETSU, UNC-W, just seems like we are simply trying to fill out a roster and are asking anyone that is interested.  

You thought we would have a bunch of guys from Duke or UNC coming in?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,851
  • Days Won:  67

20 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

You thought we would have a bunch of guys from Duke or UNC coming in?

No, Duke didn’t even make the tournament and UNC shouldn’t have, we dodged a bullet avoiding those schools.  

• Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,095
  • Days Won:  56

3 hours ago, Friscobull said:

ETSU, UNC-W, just seems like we are simply trying to fill out a roster and are asking anyone that is interested.  This next season will be interesting or more than likely it won’t.

I don’t think that’s the case. If you look closer at these guys, there is a definite trend. All of them have proven to be much more dependable shooters than the guys we lost. It feels like there’s going to be a shift in the offense, whether it’s BG’s call or Michael Kelly’s. Could it be similar to the change in philosophy we saw with Taggart and Q? Time will tell. The ETSU transfer originally signed with Maryland and was a 4-star out of high school. The George Mason transfer - Greene - was one of the top players in the Colonial. Boggs is a situational guy, but he shot 43% from 3-pt range at UNCW. We’ve never had a guy do that. DJ Patrick had a ton of offers, including one from our conference brothers in Tulsa.  If we can sign Terry Roberts, who will announce Friday - I believe - and add a decent big guy like McCreary (South Carolina) or Matos (New Mexico) or a long shot like Walker (Tennessee), I don’t see this as a team that’s overmatched in the AAC.

I’ve always called for us to sign more basketball players and fewer “athletes.” I like the guys with fundamentals and good athleticism. A dunk may make the highlight reel look good, but two free throws count just as much. The guys being brought in look fundamentally solid. Just look at the shooting percentages.

At this point, the only guy we miss is Durr.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Dave Glaser said:

I don’t think that’s the case. If you look closer at these guys, there is a definite trend. All of them have proven to be much more dependable shooters than the guys we lost. It feels like there’s going to be a shift in the offense, whether it’s BG’s call or Michael Kelly’s. Could it be similar to the change in philosophy we saw with Taggart and Q? Time will tell. The ETSU transfer originally signed with Maryland and was a 4-star out of high school. The George Mason transfer - Greene - was one of the top players in the Colonial. Boggs is a situational guy, but he shot 43% from 3-pt range at UNCW. We’ve never had a guy do that. DJ Patrick had a ton of offers, including one from our conference brothers in Tulsa.  If we can sign Terry Roberts, who will announce Friday - I believe - and add a decent big guy like McCreary (South Carolina) or Matos (New Mexico) or a long shot like Walker (Tennessee), I don’t see this as a team that’s overmatched in the AAC.

I’ve always called for us to sign more basketball players and fewer “athletes.” I like the guys with fundamentals and good athleticism. A dunk may make the highlight reel look good, but two free throws count just as much. The guys being brought in look fundamentally solid. Just look at the shooting percentages.

Thanks Dave, you make me feel better with all that has gone on. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

13 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

Oh, I get it.  So in a radical departure from our prior philosophy you are saying we want to try to score more points next season.

The Jerk - It's a Profit Deal! 1970s The Jerk, Movie Quotes, Humor, Steve Martin, Profit Deal GIF

"Ahhhhh.  It's a profit deal"

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

15 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

Oh, I get it.  So in a radical departure from our prior philosophy you are saying we want to try to score more points next season.

The Jerk - It's a Profit Deal! 1970s The Jerk, Movie Quotes, Humor, Steve Martin, Profit Deal GIF

"Ahhhhh.  It's a profit deal"

If you think about it, your offensive strategy post makes a lot of sense since.... the team with the most points gets to be the winner.....Africkinmazing...! Why haven't we ever pursued that line of thinking in the past?? think of all the games we could have won..Wow!! I'm excited...

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

14 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

As much as I hope you are right about these guys, I just worry it would be like getting a 2,000 yard rusher from Miriam Morris CC and expecting he runs for that many yards vs FL, NC St, Cinci, etc.  Different level of defense. Again, I hope to God you are right.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

24 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

As much as I hope you are right about these guys, I just worry it would be like getting a 2,000 yard rusher from Miriam Morris CC and expecting he runs for that many yards vs FL, NC St, Cinci, etc.  Different level of defense. Again, I hope to God you are right.  

The way I look at, the guys we had were in reality not very good... maybe good for USF but not college basketball in general. Replacing them at this point is more than a risk worth taking. 

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The way I look at, the guys we had were in reality not very good... maybe good for USF but not college basketball in general. Replacing them at this point is more than a risk worth taking. 

I'm with you.  I just hope we can score 75 points a game. Don't care if we give up 80. Tired of watching the yawners that are MBB.