• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

It  states that it goes by high school locations, I get that these states produce a lot of pro talent. That’s true in football as well. But does that mean that southern colleges are better? 

It means they have more access to better talent. More talent tends to lead to better teams. So yes, I would say if you took the top 10 college baseball teams in Florida and put them up against the top 10 college baseball teams in New York, we're not even having this conversation.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

40 minutes ago, JTrue said:

It means they have more access to better talent. More talent tends to lead to better teams. So yes, I would say if you took the top 10 college baseball teams in Florida and put them up against the top 10 college baseball teams in New York, we're not even having this conversation.

Still a lot of pitfalls. 

Recruits are allowed to leave the state for college. 

How many of those pro players played college baseball ie, the ratio for Florida could be different than New England. 

Probably less people recruiting in those states so those athletes are more likely to stay home

There’s still over 500 pro players coming from New England, including the best. Do you need over 1000 pro players  in your state to have good programs? You can only have 35 on your roster. What’s the threshold?  

What about the guys who one reason or another just don’t go pro?

I get that there is more talent grown in The south but I can’t say that just automatically means the the northern schools can’t put together good programs. Or that it’s unacceptable for a northern team to sweep us  because we are from the south. 

And New York, no. It’s a basketball state when it comes to college. But UConn can beat any team in Florida and Connecticut only has 148 pro players. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

On 2/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, brybull1970 said:

Sounds like there are two schools of thought here:

1. The program is trending down, but be patient he may turn things around in Year 3 like CWT, and firing him now doesn't change the immediate trajectory of the program unless we have someone we can plug in that is an obvious upgrade

2. The program is trending down and in the words of Jeremy Foley, "What should be done eventually, must be done immediately."

Regardless, we now have another high profile program that is trending in the wrong direction. This is clearly another black mark under Mark Harlan at USF - during his tenure from March 2014 to July 2018 he hired Charlie Strong, Orlando Antigua, Brian Gregory and Billy Mohl. 

Gregory is a clear upgrade over Antigua, but the other 3 have managed to leave (or currently have) their respective programs in worse shape than they entered them.

10 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I didn't say Gregory was a black mark on the program - if anything I said the opposite. I didn't conveniently leave out Kingston, but thanks for adding him. Even, so Harlan had a pretty ****** track record here when it came to entrusting programs with the right people.

Yes you did

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I was referring to Mohl as another black mark, and collectively shared every one I thought he had hired for context. Then I immediately called out as Gregory being the lone exception in the group I listed by saying "Gregory is a clear upgrade over Antigua, but the other 3 have managed to leave (or currently have) their respective programs in worse shape than they entered them."

So if you get from that, that I am saying Gregory is another black eye on Harlan then you are a moron.

You said it.  Own it and if you misstated then correct.  Calling me names doesn't change what is in black and white,  Your inability to express yourself isn't my problem and also not surprising ......

Edited by chapelbull
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Get over yourself - I've clarified it twice. If you want to twist what I am saying then go troll someone else.

lol

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,855
  • Days Won:  67

36 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

lol

I hope TBP is more fun when we actually are good at a sport, I have yet to experience this and if not then not sure what the hell any of us are doing.  We bicker like a bunch of old woman. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Did you know that northeastern made the tournament the last time we did as an at large from worse conference? Marist was a tounmanet team as recently as 2017. These aren’t the equivalents of FCS football teams they are decent teams that can beat you. It happens in college baseball all the time. We didn’t lose the series the Marist. Last season we beat UF in a mid week 6-1 and failed to make AAC tourney, point being, mid weeks are crap shoots. And idk how familiar you are with Florida but it rains...... a lot. And causes a awful lot many missed days. And you can fight me on that but as someone who has to deal with that on this sport it does. Some entire summers get washed away. So it’s not that weather doesn’t play a role but everyone deals with different types and D1 one programs have ways to deal with it. 

This is correct. 

How is the advantage that big? No program on Florida is playing baseball 12 months out of the year. None. This isn’t the 50’s teams and players can do this thing called travel and use these things called indoor facilities. Which teams in Florida also do because because it’s gets so **** hot here. 

I know this may be hard for some to understand but hitting in a indoor facility and hitting on a field. Really not that much different in player development. 

it’s pretty **** cold in Tennessee, how is Vanderbilt the premier college baseball team in country. Why isn’t it Texas, USC or UF? 

how did the greatest player to play this game be born and raised in New Jersey of the weather stunted development that much? 

so in conclusion I’ll say this louder for the people in back. BEING FROM FLORIDA DOES NOT MAKE US AUTOMATICALLY BETTER THAN ANYONE. 

Can't let this pass.  Willie Mays was born in Alabama, not NJ.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Love the say hey kid as much as the next guy, but Trout > Mays.  😉

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

14 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Love the say hey kid as much as the next guy, but Trout > Mays.  😉

Please... Babe Ruth won 94 games as a pitcher AND has better offensive stats than either. And gave them both a 4 year head start.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JTrue said:

Please... Babe Ruth won 94 games as a pitcher AND has better offensive stats than either. And gave them both a 4 year head start.

I know who I’m picking  in a hotdog eating contest 

Edited by BrassBulls12