• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deep thoughts on USF Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Free throw shooting is actually what helped this team get to 24 wins. We shot 5% higher during the post season run last year , and needed every bit of the 33 made free throws to beat Stonry Brook in OT in the first round of the CBI. It also helps to play the first four games at home.

To infer there is no correlation is foolish.

Even in the Stony Brook game USF only made 68.8 percent of their free throws. Fortunately they had almost 50 attempts. There was one game in the CBI that they were 6-6 for 100% which bumped up the average. The rest of the CBI games were at or below the regular season average iirc.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

On 2/22/2020 at 8:08 AM, cophbulls said:

I though about making this some kind of Jack handy thing like, before you criticize the Bulls basketball team, walk a mile in their shoes, and then, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes....but then i thought that was dumb. 

What I do want to say is, has anyone noticed how the Bulls are 2-8 in games decided by less than 10 pts? Which means they are 9-7 in games decided by 10 pts or more. So I think its fair to say that Yetna's impact would have turned 3 of those 8 loses, by less than 10 points, into wins. Then the Bulls are 5-5 in games decided by  < 10 points and 9-7 in games decided by 10 points or more. which gives them a record of 14-12. We would be, at minimum, fighting for a NIT spot. Which is exactly where we should be this year. So my point is next year, assuming health, the Bulls will go to the NCAAs, we will skip that NIT bid and move straight on to fighting for the real championship. Now of course we still have the chance at a post-season bid but i dont feel, in my heart, that its going to happen. most likely the only way is to win out and with @UConn, ECU, Cincy, @Temple and SMU running out the stretch, I think we'd be happy going 3-2. 5-0 seems a long stretch. Even if we go deep in the tourney, say the semis, i just dont think that will be enough to get in the NIT and I doubt that we'd be interested in returning to the CBI, So again, that ole Bulls mantra, JUST WAIT UNTILL NEXT YEAR! YOU'LL SEE!

why not go back to cbi?

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

I seriously think the team could benefit from a sports psychologist for free throws.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

I seriously think the team could benefit from a sports psychologist for free throws.

I’m sure Shaq had plenty of them 

6 hours ago, smazza said:

why not go back to cbi?

Because it’s pay to play and isn’t a sustainable model for success 

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

15 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Image result for "The natural" "losing is a disease"

Guest Jonesy Bull
On 2/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, cophbulls said:

I though about making this some kind of Jack handy thing like, before you criticize the Bulls basketball team, walk a mile in their shoes, and then, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes....but then i thought that was dumb. 

What I do want to say is, has anyone noticed how the Bulls are 2-8 in games decided by less than 10 pts? Which means they are 9-7 in games decided by 10 pts or more. So I think its fair to say that Yetna's impact would have turned 3 of those 8 loses, by less than 10 points, into wins. Then the Bulls are 5-5 in games decided by  < 10 points and 9-7 in games decided by 10 points or more. which gives them a record of 14-12. We would be, at minimum, fighting for a NIT spot. Which is exactly where we should be this year. So my point is next year, assuming health, the Bulls will go to the NCAAs, we will skip that NIT bid and move straight on to fighting for the real championship. Now of course we still have the chance at a post-season bid but i dont feel, in my heart, that its going to happen. most likely the only way is to win out and with @UConn, ECU, Cincy, @Temple and SMU running out the stretch, I think we'd be happy going 3-2. 5-0 seems a long stretch. Even if we go deep in the tourney, say the semis, i just dont think that will be enough to get in the NIT and I doubt that we'd be interested in returning to the CBI, So again, that ole Bulls mantra, JUST WAIT UNTILL NEXT YEAR! YOU'LL SEE!

I think you are pretty much spot on dude.

I think the loss of Yetna was bigger than alot of us expected.  He brings a whole different dynamic to this team.

That said, the rest of the team has too many flaws to be good without Yetna.

Even with Yetna, we need an upgrade in talent to get to a much higher level.  Gregory has done the best he can coming into this cluster-----.

But he needs to recruit his a-- off and up his game these next couple years to get to where we want to go.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

It was actually the loss of Yetna ALONG with Kiir in a one week period that basically gutted our 4 position.  I really feel that killed our season. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Jonesy Bull
28 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

It was actually the loss of Yetna ALONG with Kiir in a one week period that basically gutted our 4 position.  I really feel that killed our season. 

Yep pretty much....and the rest of the team is just isnt quite talented enough to overcome.

People like brybull are too short sighted to understand this.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

13 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Yep pretty much....and the rest of the team is just isnt quite talented enough to overcome.

People like brybull are too short sighted to understand this.

image.gif.1fee33e71eb2bc87aa9d4befe926a5d2.gif

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,520
  • Days Won:  422

13 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Even in the Stony Brook game USF only made 68.8 percent of their free throws. Fortunately they had almost 50 attempts. There was one game in the CBI that they were 6-6 for 100% which bumped up the average. The rest of the CBI games were at or below the regular season average iirc.

The 6-6 game was the one following SBU. After those 2 opening games, they won 3 out of the next 4, only shooting 67% from the line. The one game they lost, they shot 79%. FT % wasn't any more of a factor in the postseason run than it was in the regular season ....

• Like 1