• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deep thoughts on USF Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,851
  • Days Won:  67

Grammar police strikes again! Nice work Jchem, Preeminence is a privilege that was earned and it is up to scholars like you and I to police the riff raft and preserve our academic image.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, Friscobull said:

Grammar police strikes again! Nice work Jchem, Preeminence is a privilege that was earned and it is up to scholars like you and I to police the riff raft and preserve our academic image.  

Hey we went to USF when it was far from preeminence so we are grandfathered in to spell how we want. 🤘

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,529
  • Days Won:  422

4 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

59c199b4875ec_facepalmted.jpg.6c3070c66a1da67e70f3c0e8fee633e1.jpg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  53
  • Days Won:  1

Down 6 points with under 4  minutes left, the Bulls came back to beat an improving East Carolina team.  They held Gardner, the top scorer and rebounder in the league to 3 rebounds with a terrific game plan that forced him to play hard defense.  Coach Gregory has put together some great game plans, but he simply doesn't have all the pieces to execute them.  USF does not have a power forward and frequently must play Collins and Williams against taller, stronger, legitimate power forwards.  Brown is big enough, but it detracts from his offensive game and other than Zach we have no other shooters that can be relied on to hit 3s. Even so, USF has managed to outrebound at least three quarters of the teams they have played. Coach's move to bench Brown three weeks ago has proved smart as he has played much better the last two weeks.  Still, most other teams in the league play 9 or 10 guys.  USF relies on 7  or 8.  Collins played 43 minutes last night and but for foul trouble Q would have logged about the same.  This is the reason they often fade at the end of games.  Also, other teams know our limitations.  We've seen more and more zone defense against us, because we don't have outside shooters other than the streaky Brown.  But Gregory can coach.  I have no doubt about that even though the results this year have been disappointing.  The foul shooting has improved and several players, most notably Durr, Q, and Brown have shown a lot of improvement the last month, though the wins have not come.  If I have one criticism of Gregory it is that he the two freshman recruits have been totally neglected.  They haven't gotten any of the much needed experience.  I've been to all the conference games and the whole league seems tougher this year.  If you want to see what Yetna meant to USF, just look at the play of Jayden Gardner last night.  He was runner-up to yetna as best new player last year.  After Gardner fouled out, USF dominated.  Yes, one player can mean that much to a team when he is that good.  Tke a deep breath and remember that in 2017, we were 0-19 in the conference and 16 of the losses were by double digits.  When that season ended we lost all of the still eligible players.  Gregory started literally with nothing--from scratch.  Who wants to come to such a program.  He must have been a hell of a salesman to get Collins and Brown, two players who would start or be first off the bench on most of the teams in the league. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

@abochner Brybull may put you on his Ignore list after that post above.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,851
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Hey we went to USF when it was far from preeminence so we are grandfathered in to spell how we want. 🤘

Absolutely not, there is a new standard that we all must adhere to.  I take this stuff seriously, when you can’t compete in the main sports I like to stick my nose in the air and simply state that I am better than you.  Pretentious preeminence is all we got at the present.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Absolutely not, there is a new standard that we all must adhere to.  I take this stuff seriously, when you can’t compete in the main sports I like to stick my nose in the air and simply state that I am better than you.  Pretentious preeminence is all we got at the present.

Do we get trophies? If so, I am all in...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,529
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, abochner said:

Tke a deep breath and remember that in 2017, we were 0-19 in the conference and 16 of the losses were by double digits.  When that season ended we lost all of the still eligible players.  Gregory started literally with nothing--from scratch. 

If you're talking about going into CBG's first year here, we did have 3 leftovers from Antigua; Manderson, DaSilva and Martin ...... but for all intent and purposes, starting from scratch.

Who wants to come to such a program.  He must have been a hell of a salesman to get Collins and Brown, two players who would start or be first off the bench on most of the teams in the league.

Going to be a pretty emotional Senior Night next year with those guys, along with Rideau's this year, because they were instrumental in the building of a foundation that's hopefully being laid ....

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Glad to see the team come from behind late in a conference game and then actually close them out in OT. Even happier to hear that we got the ball more to Durr in the post and ran more catch and shoot for our outside shooters. The more diverse this offense is the better, and close losses should be able to turn into wins.

Hoping that this team and staff can find a way to put it all together in 2020-21. 

Note: this is my self-imposed one positive post per month and as such will refrain from bashing chapelbull in any demeaning, all be it accurate, way.

Happy to see your monthly positive post!  March is only 2 days away!

If your Catholic, you could always give up all negative posting during Lent?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

20 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Happy to see your monthly positive post!  March is only 2 days away!

If your Catholic, you could always give up all negative posting during Lent?

you're - since someone picked on someone about albeit.

• Upvote 1