• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deep thoughts on USF Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Image result for "The natural" "losing is a disease"

Not too many will get this was from “The Natural.” 

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not too many will get this was from “The Natural.” 

Losing is a disease....as contagious as Bubonic Plague...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Losing is a disease....as contagious as Bubonic Plague...

“Rolling, rolling, rolling, and rolling” 

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

On 2/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, brybull1970 said:

So next year how's Gregory going to solve for the fact that he doesn't have anyone that can hit a jump shot other than Dawson and not a single guard that shoots 70% from the free thow line?

this is ridiculous 

i can hit 3s consistently

we dont have big men and we dont have shooters. sounds like we dont have modern day  basketball players

Edited by smazza
mispelled word

Guest Jonesy Bull

Off Topic, but watching Florida State last night against Louisville.....they look like the real deal.  A legit shot to make it to the Final Four.....I don't know how we stayed in that game with them!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

26 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Off Topic, but watching Florida State last night against Louisville.....they look like the real deal.  A legit shot to make it to the Final Four.....I don't know how we stayed in that game with them!

They are really good. Their defense is suffocating.  

Leonard Hamilton is an underrated coach. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

They are really good. Their defense is suffocating.  

Leonard Hamilton is an underrated coach. 

He gets a lot of love.  I don't think he's underrated at all.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,533
  • Days Won:  422

15 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Gregory has managed to get THIS group of players to play through a scheme that works for 30+ minutes and then goes away from the things. Watch the games!

I guess my memory's kind of fuzzy but I could have sworn your complaint's been that he doesn't adjust late in games and keeps running the supposedly  "drive to the basket" offense they've been running the whole game and the other teams start clogging up the lane. Am I misremembering?

As one who does watch the games, what I've seen is players not finishing plays that are there, untimely turning the ball over and their defense softening up ...... combined with the other teams' players making plays in crunch time.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Or they play over their heads for 28 to 30 minutes then the other team realizes, "Wait, we are better than these guys." Case in point FSU. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

You guys just keep missing the point. I recognize that the team is less talented without Yetna, but Gregory has still fielded a team that has shown the ability compete on most nights. My issue is that Gregory goes away from already successful schemes late in tight games, causing the offense to come to a grind costing us several wins with THIS group of players. For example:

• Nebraska - tied 53-53 with 11:02 left and lose by 6
  • Utah State - up 4 with 1:07 left and lose in OT by 2
  • Florida State - up 10 with 6:14 left and only score 3 points the rest of the way and lose by 6
  • at ECU - up 2 with 2:42 left and only score 2 points the rest of the way and lose by 3
  • Memphis - up 14 with 12:59 left and lose by 4
  • at UCF - up 5 with 1:58 left then went scoreless the rest of the way to lose by 1
  • Wichita State - down 1 with 13:49 left and only scored 8 points the rest of the game and lose by 13
  • at Wichita State - tied 45-45 with 6:10 left and we lose by 10
  • at UConn - tied 51-51 with 7:43 left and we lose by 7

Gregory has managed to get THIS group of players to play through a scheme that works for 30+ minutes and then goes away from the things. Watch the games! That's my primary complaint with Gregory from an X's and O's perspective.

So JonesyBull, how am I being short sighted again? I agree with you, but I have been arguing a completely different point - this team can compete when Gregory doesn't coach scared.

We have lost way too many close games this year that we coulda/shoulda won.  

Im not going to say there is no truth to what you are saying.  There have been mistakes made late in games by both the Coach and players execution.  The Coach is not totally exempt from some criticism.  I just think overall player talent level, execution, and shorter bench than expected is the biggest factor.

That said, I believe he is still the Coach that can and should be successfull for as our talent level increases.  Recruiting seems to be going well from what Im reading.

Edited by Jonesy Bull