• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deep thoughts on USF Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, DELdaBull said:

Or they play over their heads for 28 to 30 minutes then the other team realizes, "Wait, we are better than these guys." Case in point FSU. 

I think FSU is a bad example of what you are describing. FSU changed its defense during the last four minutes of the game. USF didn't adjust to that. Imho Hamilton outcoached Gregory at the end of that game. That's why USF lost.

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

They are really good. Their defense is suffocating.  

Leonard Hamilton is an underrated coach. 

I really enjoy watching this FSU team play.  That is what I want for us one day.

This wont be popular on a USF board, but since we arent going anywhere this year.  Im pulling hard for my childhood team and L. Hamilton to make a long run in the Tourny.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

We have lost way too many close games this year that we coulda/shoulda won.  

Sometimes teams have to learn how to close out games and win.....if we can close out the season with a few wins and gains some new good players next year maybe they take a step forward and win some of those close games next season.

Next season...the USF athletic motto.

• Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  56

4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

You guys just keep missing the point. I recognize that the team is less talented without Yetna, but Gregory has still fielded a team that has shown the ability compete on most nights. My issue is that Gregory goes away from already successful schemes late in tight games, causing the offense to come to a grind costing us several wins with THIS group of players. For example:

• Nebraska - tied 53-53 with 11:02 left and lose by 6
  • Utah State - up 4 with 1:07 left and lose in OT by 2
  • Florida State - up 10 with 6:14 left and only score 3 points the rest of the way and lose by 6
  • at ECU - up 2 with 2:42 left and only score 2 points the rest of the way and lose by 3
  • Memphis - up 14 with 12:59 left and lose by 4
  • at UCF - up 5 with 1:58 left then went scoreless the rest of the way to lose by 1
  • Wichita State - down 1 with 13:49 left and only scored 8 points the rest of the game and lose by 13
  • at Wichita State - tied 45-45 with 6:10 left and we lose by 10
  • at UConn - tied 51-51 with 7:43 left and we lose by 7

Gregory has managed to get THIS group of players to play through a scheme that works for 30+ minutes and then goes away from the things. Watch the games! That's my primary complaint with Gregory from an X's and O's perspective.

So JonesyBull, how am I being short sighted again? I agree with you, but I have been arguing a completely different point - this team can compete when Gregory doesn't coach scared.

You are right that - for whatever reason - in many of those close games coach seemed to go away from what got us there and put it on Collins to create his own shot almost exclusively. He never seemed to deliver and is more prone to turning the ball over or missing FTs. This isn’t an uncommon approach. We used to do the same thing with DoJo. Not sure why Gregory has that much confidence in Collins at crunch time. I sure don’t.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

I think FSU is a bad example of what you are describing. FSU changed its defense during the last four minutes of the game. USF didn't adjust to that. Imho Hamilton outcoached Gregory at the end of that game. That's why USF lost.

I think you reverse the players and you reverse who "outcoached" who .....  you look a lot smarter win you have the guys to execute what you would like them to execute

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

I think you reverse the players and you reverse who "outcoached" who .....  you look a lot smarter win you have the guys to execute what you would like them to execute

It is obvious that FSU has more talent than USF. The Seminoles coaches made an in-game defensive adjustment and the Bulls didn't adjust to that. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Sometimes teams have to learn how to close out games and win.....if we can close out the season with a few wins and gains some new good players next year maybe they take a step forward and win some of those close games next season.

Next season...the USF athletic motto.

I believe next year will be different as long as we dont get hit yet again with injuries and bad luck which plaques both BB programs it seems.

Healthy Yetna, a year of experiennce with returning players, and additions thru recruiting.....there is no reason this team shouldnt be much better next year.. If not, then I will be very dissapointed in CBG.

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I actually missed the game last night (on the road heading to a funeral) but am curious if we came from behind to force OT or we let ECU back in it to force OT. Either way glad to seem them close the game in OT when they got there. Despite their record ECU has been a tougher out since late December.

I actually caught up on Homeland from Showtime last night, but checked the scores periodically.

I think we had a 3 point lead at Halftime, then when I checked halfway through the 2nd half, we were losing by like 7 or something like that....So we obviously came back from that.  Not sure about the end of Regulation, but we made some big plays in the last 2 minutes of OT including a 3 point dagger from Rideau to basically close it out in the last minute.

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

We were actually down by one at the half and it was a see-saw the rest of the game.  ECU got up by 8 or 9 at one point but we kept battling back.  We actually had a chance to win in regulation but had a turnover to force OT.  Interesting that all our FG attempts in OT were from outside the arc.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

24 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Glad to see the team come from behind late in a conference game and then actually close them out in OT. Even happier to hear that we got the ball more to Durr in the post and ran more catch and shoot for our outside shooters. The more diverse this offense is the better, and close losses should be able to turn into wins.

Hoping that this team and staff can find a way to put it all together in 2020-21. 

Note: this is my self-imposed one positive post per month and as such will refrain from bashing chapelbull in any demeaning, all be it accurate, way.

Albeit