• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

About Jeff Scott

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

1 hour ago, HulaBula said:

Good one. Now I'd say that we are even.

Thanks for the recap.  I hope one day to have Clemson level problems!  As for the stay/leave thing, I hope he leaves.  That means he’s done a great job and turned us around.  He’s too young to think USF is his ceiling, so if a bigger program takes him, I say good luck and thanks cuz he did his job.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, HulaBula said:

Sounds as if Da'Quan Bowers is headed to somebody's staff - probably uSf. He is at Clemson now. Was the #1 overall prospect in the class of 2008 (ESPN). DE. It would not surprise me if Bobby Bentley came down as the OC. He hired Jeff at PC. Bentley went from PC>Auburn>SC. Don't know if he'd take a step down &/or a pay cut but he's a definite possibility. There are a # of ex-Tiger players around Clemson who could catch on. Deandre McDaniel (Tally), Rashard Hall (St. Augustine), & Xavier Brewer (Jacksonville) are 3 possibilities for the Safeties coach. Roderick McDowell (RB) is also around. Bowers & McDowell are from SC. The OL at Arkansas (now unemployed) & at GA State are ex-Clemson players. I have no doubt that Jeff Scott will hire the best possible staff available.

Recruiter/Developer pt. 2: Not all of the Clemson receivers Scott had at Clemson were 4/5 stars. EX 1 : Adam Humphries was the #218 WR in the nation in 2011. Just signed a big contract in the NFL.

Nice info Hula and welcome to the board. 🤘

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

Thanks Hula. Number 3 on your assessment does not and will not work at here. Been tried and true, when we have success, it has been with a mobile quarterback. Grothe, Daniels, Flowers. Next.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

37 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Thanks Hula. Number 3 on your assessment does not and will not work at here. Been tried and true, when we have success, it has been with a mobile quarterback. Grothe, Daniels, Flowers. Next.

It's not totally accurate thankfully.   Well unless I imagined Deshaun Watson and Taj Boyd and their time at Clemson when using their legs was a big part of the offense and the fact they recruited Kelly Bryant, signed him, and played him.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,262
  • Days Won:  25

Can he recruit oline? We lost two so far and that is our biggest weakness still that needs addressing.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Days Won:  12

I worry a teeny bit that he has never worked the portal and has also not had to deal with recruiting to a nonelite program in a while. I get he was there before Clemson was who they are today so I hope he can dig deep. 

I also worry he may have too rigid a system. I'm mentally preparing myself for a down year in 2020 while the players adjust. 

All speculation at this point. Maybe Cade fortin and a couple transfers come in, pick it up and we're not half bad. Who effin knows. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  9
  • Days Won:  0

Pocket Passer vs. Dual-Threat: Getting listed as a PP does not mean that you can't run. All the QBs signed by Brandon Streeter have been PPs. Kelly Bryant (2015) was the last QB Clemson signed who was listed as a DT. He was signed by Chad Morris. The Chad also signed Deshaun Watson (2014) who was a DT. There was a world of difference between Watson & Bryant. QBs like Watson & Lamar Jackson are rare. I think that if your QB can run but can't throw, you'll never be better than mediocre. Taj Boyd (2009 ) came in as a PP but became a better runner every year. He was $ in the bank on short yardage, broke a few long runs & could throw the long ball.

Spread vs Pro-style: I don't expect Jeff Scott to use the pro-style offense. About everybody seems to be running some version of the spread now. Even the pros are mixing it in. Dabo fired his original OC, Billy Napier (now HC for the LA Ragin' Cajuns). Napier wanted to run the pro-style. Dabo wanted the spread.

OL/QB/LBs: Jeff seems to have already made progress on the QB problem. The OL could still be a major problem (à la FSU) since it's usually the 3rd year before an OL recruit is ready to contribute. Regardless, I believe that Scott will get the best out of what he has.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, HulaBula said:

Pocket Passer vs. Dual-Threat: Getting listed as a PP does not mean that you can't run. All the QBs signed by Brandon Streeter have been PPs. Kelly Bryant (2015) was the last QB Clemson signed who was listed as a DT. He was signed by Chad Morris. The Chad also signed Deshaun Watson (2014) who was a DT. There was a world of difference between Watson & Bryant. QBs like Watson & Lamar Jackson are rare. I think that if your QB can run but can't throw, you'll never be better than mediocre. Taj Boyd (2009 ) came in as a PP but became a better runner every year. He was $ in the bank on short yardage, broke a few long runs & could throw the long ball.

Spread vs Pro-style: I don't expect Jeff Scott to use the pro-style offense. About everybody seems to be running some version of the spread now. Even the pros are mixing it in. Dabo fired his original OC, Billy Napier (now HC for the LA Ragin' Cajuns). Napier wanted to run the pro-style. Dabo wanted the spread.

OL/QB/LBs: Jeff seems to have already made progress on the QB problem. The OL could still be a major problem (à la FSU) since it's usually the 3rd year before an OL recruit is ready to contribute. Regardless, I believe that Scott will get the best out of what he has.

Well that makes me feel better about the offense hopefully he runs here.  A pro style will not work at all I'll save him the time.