• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

About Jeff Scott

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

5 hours ago, HulaBula said:

Pocket Passer vs. Dual-Threat: Getting listed as a PP does not mean that you can't run. All the QBs signed by Brandon Streeter have been PPs. Kelly Bryant (2015) was the last QB Clemson signed who was listed as a DT. He was signed by Chad Morris. The Chad also signed Deshaun Watson (2014) who was a DT. There was a world of difference between Watson & Bryant. QBs like Watson & Lamar Jackson are rare. I think that if your QB can run but can't throw, you'll never be better than mediocre. Taj Boyd (2009 ) came in as a PP but became a better runner every year. He was $ in the bank on short yardage, broke a few long runs & could throw the long ball.

Spread vs Pro-style: I don't expect Jeff Scott to use the pro-style offense. About everybody seems to be running some version of the spread now. Even the pros are mixing it in. Dabo fired his original OC, Billy Napier (now HC for the LA Ragin' Cajuns). Napier wanted to run the pro-style. Dabo wanted the spread.

OL/QB/LBs: Jeff seems to have already made progress on the QB problem. The OL could still be a major problem (à la FSU) since it's usually the 3rd year before an OL recruit is ready to contribute. Regardless, I believe that Scott will get the best out of what he has.

Hula, after the run of less-then-stellar coaches we have endured, we are understandably cautious about a new hire.  But, judging by the many well wishers for CJS who are losing him as a loved coach, it is hard to hang on to the skepticism.  I can't imagine how I would feel losing a coach that I totally believed in as a coach and as a good man and the receiving team meets him with skepticism and critique.  I'd regard them as ungrateful and wish for my coach to return to a fanbase that appreciates him.  I really appreciate your posts; we have gained a lot of information from them.  But please understand that our reticence has nothing to do with CJS.  We simply have Post Traumatic Coaching Stress Syndrome.  Thanks again.

Edited by Grateful Dad
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

9 hours ago, HulaBula said:

I believe that Scott will get the best out of what he has.

This would certainly be a welcomed change. I don't think we've had more than a couple players that actually showed a lot of improvement over the course of their careers.

13 hours ago, Mission9 said:

Grateful Dad sporting the Acid Bears! 🙂

Reality is a crutch for weak minded people! ✌️

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

Reply To Grateful Dad: PTCSS  Thanks for the explanation. I was much surprised by the negativity & pessimism. Then I saw that, except during the 2015-2017 run,  uSf fans haven't had a lot to be optimistic about. 2020 could be rough but I expect that by 2021, recruiting will drastically improve & W/L results should follow closely behind. I'm already making a roster from previous signees & will be watching for uSf's televised games. Clemson fans have adopted uSf as their #2. Btw, Bula is old english for Bulls. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

As long as the guy can evaluate and tweak his style & strategy to fit the players' skill sets, he'll have a legit shot here. The minute he starts trying to pound circles into squares because he has "a great offensive mind", I'll start moving down the spectrum towards another lost cause. Sounds like he knows how to evaluate talent and maybe even find hidden gems--I certainly hope so for our sake. 🤘

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, Theodore D Lewis said:

Reply To Grateful Dad: PTCSS  Thanks for the explanation. I was much surprised by the negativity & pessimism. Then I saw that, except during the 2015-2017 run,  uSf fans haven't had a lot to be optimistic about. 2020 could be rough but I expect that by 2021, recruiting will drastically improve & W/L results should follow closely behind. I'm already making a roster from previous signees & will be watching for uSf's televised games. Clemson fans have adopted uSf as their #2. Btw, Bula is old english for Bulls. Go Bulls!

Hula, if you can't access your other account, PM Brad to see what he can do ...

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Days Won:  3

The need for a pro-style QB worries me.

Coach Scott is in for a rude awakening.

Just now, zarnozdabull said:

The need for a pro-style QB worries me.

Coach Scott is in for a rude awakening.

Or we are about to learn something.  It's never worked here because we didn't have the right pieces in place, ever.  I think, from what I have seen so far, that we haven't had a coach so highly regarded coming into the program as CJS and it could be that he can make it work.  I share your worry, but if someone could make it happen, I think he could. 🤞

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

11 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Or we are about to learn something.  It's never worked here because we didn't have the right pieces in place, ever.  I think, from what I have seen so far, that we haven't had a coach so highly regarded coming into the program as CJS and it could be that he can make it work.  I share your worry, but if someone could make it happen, I think he could. 🤞

I will stay pessimistic on this move, we don’t and won’t and never had the type of personnel to run this type of offense successfully.  We are a G5 team that will never have a dominant line to run this type of offense,  disappointing.