• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

KB says changes to offense this week

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Or, and I certainly don't know, what traits do you look for that says this guy can be made into a pro-style o-lineman?

Are we to assume that all of our guys are spread? Are we supposed to wait until we recruit different lineman for KB's offense?

maybe you hire someone that runs a similar offense to which you recruited and developed for.?

It is far more complex as an offensive lineman to block in a pro-style offense.

It will absolutely take time to recruit and develop a line to run this offense.

We saw it with Taggart in his first 2 years.

In fact the oline is the most difficult position to develop for a pro-style offense. It will take years to get there.

Like puc said you don't bring in a guy that runs pro-style if you want a quick fix.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Bull94,

You are focused to much on the players. Focus on our incompetent staff. 

Unfortunately,  Coach King will also be without a job soon 

5 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Bull94,

You are focused to much on the players. Focus on our incompetent staff. 

Unfortunately,  Coach King will also be without a job soon 

I'm not blaming the players at all. I think it was dumb to hire a pro-style OC. That's why we have o-line troubles.

almost as dumb as hiring a washed up defensive "guru" to take over a top 5 offensive team.

complete 180 in philosophies

there's no continuity. there's a reason why UCF hasn't missed a beat with heupel. It's because he was a carbon copy of Frost

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Just now, Bull94 said:

maybe you hire someone that runs a similar offense to which you recruited and developed for.?

It is far more complex as an offensive lineman to block in a pro-style offense.

It will absolutely take time to recruit and develop a line to run this offense.

We saw it with Taggart in his first 2 years.

In fact the oline is the most difficult position to develop for a pro-style offense. It will take years to get there.

Like puc said you don't bring in a guy that runs pro-style if you want a quick fix.

This is kind of funny to read here. I know Texas A&M fans are really disappointed in the results so far from their offense. They are complaining about their offensive line too. Fisher runs a more pro style offense, expects the QB to be in the pocket. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

2 quick points... (these ended up being not at all quick)

A guy I work with went to a career fair at Florida Tech this week to try and find some decent engineers... he bumped into none other than Bobby Eveld! Apparently he played some minor league baseball and then went back to school, getting ready to graduate with his engineering degree. I'd hire him, but, unfortunately, he said he fully wants to be in the field and doesn't want to do office stuff, so, I know he wouldn't be happy here.

Second - the OL is bad, BUT... if I recall, the first couple of drives, they were holding their own against SMU... In the Wisconsin and Ga Tech games, they go better when McCloud came in. McCloud was moving in the pocket and helping those guys because he can feel pressure and adjust his body to avoid it. What I saw happen in that game was McCloud threw 2 picks and got scared to pull the trigger. He started holding on to the ball longer because his confidence was shaken and started thinking too much. This made the OL have to hold their blocks longer, and they were not up to the task. So... my point is that it's not entirely an offensive scheme issue, or, a personnel issue (OL or QB - though Blake is a problem IMHO when he's in because he doesn't have good pocket awareness)... A good bit of the issue is confidence and pressure these guys are putting themselves under. I think McCloud, while disappointed in his picks, was more overwhelmed because the culture of this team is that there is zero margin of error. WRs cant catch because they are probably thinking "this is our one chance for a big play" the whole time the ball is coming to them.

In our "good" years, one side of the ball has been dominant, taking the pressure off of the other side to an extent. With Q, the defense knew we could score. This allows guys to take some chances and probably led to more turnovers. In the Grothe years, the defense was dominant. While Grothe was good, there were very few times the team went into a game feeling like they needed to score 30+ points to win.

Bottom line, our team has no identity. I don't know how you fix that without either some creative coaching (Leavitt/Burnham's defenses), or, incredible talent (Q, Mack, DJ, McCants/ Selvie, Jenks, Trae, steady string of LBs). We're not getting the coaching out of this crew, though I am not writing off KB yet. We don't have those special players, which in our current situation is not going to be the norm, so, we have to find a coach who can do things with lesser talent and lead a team.

CCS aint it and the sooner we rip off that band-aid, the sooner we have a chance to turn things around. I 100% would fire CCS right now and give Bell the rest of the season. I know his offense is failing, but, he has HC experience, and is actually COACHing his guys and holding them accountable. I don't know if he's the long term answer, but, I don't think we're going to do any worse this year with him than we would do with CCS. If I have to hear on the TV one more time how CCS doesn't really "coach" the team so much as he manages the coaches and tries to make the players into better men, I am going to puke. I don't think that is what he is paid to do! I also don't think I have ever seen a successful head coach that isn't intimately involved with some aspect of the... you know... COACHING

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

11 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I'm not blaming the players at all. I think it was dumb to hire a pro-style OC. That's why we have o-line troubles.

almost as dumb as hiring a washed up defensive "guru" to take over a top 5 offensive team.

there's no continuity. there's a reason why UCF hasn't missed a beat with heupel. It's because he was a carbon copy of Frost

There in lies the problem. I don't get the impression our administration is bright or innovative. They seem entitled and bureaucratic. 

Anytime there is a problem, they hire a firm to tell them what to do and assume if things go wrong they can just deny any responsibility. Or even worse they don't get any input from anybody and just assume they know best. 

They interviewed and hired CCS in like a week. One interview, one hire. No thought appeared to have been given to what was already here. Their thinking is very obtuse. Even Kelly's comment last year that CCS took us to one game away from winning the division and no one here prior has done that (although had CWT won against Temple in 2016 that was one win away), belies that they do not give deep thought to these matters. How much of that was due to CCS? 

• Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

Have faith in KB!! Still think he will get us into an offensive juggernaut! 

How? Based on what?

The points we put up on an FCS team?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

47 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

To say you don’t blame the players is not correct. I have not missed a game in 22 years. This team does not have the talent even if they are using the correct scheme. Could they win more games? Yes, but it would be a 7 to 6 win season at best...and I am being generous. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Please end the Johnny Ford slot experiment. We need him back at running back and catching out of the back field!  #FreeJohnny

I think that is happening this week...we need someone that can make plays if the blocking isn't there 

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

To say you don’t blame the players is not correct. I have not missed a game in 22 years. This team does not have the talent even if they are using the correct scheme. Could they win more games? Yes, but it would be a 7 to 6 win season at best...and I am being generous. 

don't get me wrong the bad recruiting classes are catching up to us. I'm just not blaming the players in this instance. I think the o-line troubles are as much about the change in scheme as anything. Attebury and Norman both started here at tackle in the RS freshman year under Taggart and seemed to be just fine.

• Upvote 1