• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

KB says changes to offense this week

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804
  • Days Won:  0

Old Chuckles is full of excuses.  Its year 3 sir. People have won here with less.  You had all the resources that money could buy in Texas and you still lost. Time to look in the mirror.  Be gone. Have a good day if you want to.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

13 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

According to 24/7,Taggart had the #1 recruiting classes in the AAC in

Last I checked he had the same "excuses" that Strong uses.

Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses

The only problem is that since that time other AAC members have upgraded (for football) beyond what USF has done. The IPF is just one item but many have already upgraded their stadium and athletic centers (Cincy/Hou). I agree CCS should be better but our facilities are slowly starting to become an issue. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The only problem is that since that time other AAC members have upgraded (for football) beyond what USF has done. The IPF is just one item but many have already upgraded their stadium and athletic centers (Cincy/Hou). I agree CCS should be better but our facilities are slowly starting to become an issue. 

I'm not big on these excuses for failure. They didn't hinder Taggart as little as 4 years ago.

He won recruiting battles against SEC programs with facilities that make ours look like a run down high school. He routinely beat out P5 programs for players.

Look at Senat that he signed his first year. Had offers from NC State, FSU, South Carolina, Kentucky. Tell me their facilities don't put ours to shame.

Chuck seems to have nothing but excuses.

whether it's the facilities or the malcontents he has to get rid of or the lack of execution, etc. There is always someone or something to blame.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

14 minutes ago, usf97 said:

It's all a very circular argument. There isn't one easy answer. 

The one thing that CCS points to and it is a fair argument is that USF hasn't put money into football recently other than paying CCS and his staff quite a bit of money. 

The Lee Roy Selmon Athletic Center opened in May 2004 and cost $15 million and houses all of USF's sports teams except basketball, sailing and volleyball. 

The baseball, softball, soccer and tennis along with the outdoor football fields was started in 2010 for $33.5 million. 

The Sun Dome remodel was done in 2012 for $35.6 million. 

So if you are recruit, going to all of these schools with New Facilities, which one are you going to choose?

The previous administration seemed to think if you just made good connections with Louisville, that would be enough to keep everything going well. They lucked into a good situation with the Big East and were wholly unprepared to deal with any changes.  They mostly ignored athletics. To their credit, there have been advances made in academics which is where they seemed to focus most of their energy. 

As to athletics, it seems that Kelly is trying to deal with this logically which may also the most painful option which is, suck it up, get on a budget and pay as we go. Which means unless someone is feeling real generous, there are no magical quick happy outcomes on the horizon.  

This is reasonable, but, it can still be done in the context of firing Strong in my opinion. You don't have to fire him and immediately replace with someone having the same salary, or, assistant pool. Maybe the "suck it up" phase is with some "prove it" coaches... Joe Kinnan brought something special to CWT's staff. The Plant coach has a big following in the Tampa area... could someone like that be interested in coaching the Bulls? Maybe a St Thomas Aquinas coach?

High school may be too large of a gap (though recruiting implications could be big), but, without CCS, we could hire the next coach on the cheap... or, bust out with some wacky contract that is highly incentive laden... Bonus for wins, bonus for conference/division championships, bonus for bowl games, etc... Stop paying people just to show up. If CCS didn't get paid unless the team was winning, I bet he would stop turning over all football decisions to other people and just focusing on making the players better men... he'd figure out how to make them better men and winners.

I know there is a large group here that hates KB solely because he was a DII coach before coming here and therefore, he's not qualified, but, to that, I would say... Jim Tressel, Gus Malzahn... these guys jumped over huge gaps in their careers and have been/were pretty successful. I am a "football is football" kind of person. A good football mind at any level can adjust when talent is ramped up. If we need to save money, figure out how to do it while also winning... the "suck it up, we're poor" excuse shouldn't be an option. That's the difference between losers in the world that blame their circumstances and the Mark Cuban stories. You can either wallow in your misfortunes, or, DO SOMETHING about it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,465
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, USFBulls727 said:

Other than losing, kicking people off the team is what Charlie has become known for. I don't recall Holtz or Taggart...or any other coach off the top of my head....who cleans house the way Charlie does. Not saying he's wrong, but I wonder what Charlie saw to kick these guys off that Taggart didn't see.

Smoke rings? oops😎

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Again I add all that up and he was a player for one season. The fact he did not get picked up by anyone shows he either flamed out or had attitude issues. Regardless I would not want him on USF. 

yeah I hate those 4 star receivers......who needs them when we have gritty walk-ons to fill their place.

Did you expect him to start over Rodney Adams, MVS or McCants his freshman year?

He was our #3 his sophomore year behind McCants and MVS. No shame in that.

He was also our #2 behind McCants before he was suspended last year.

Not sure what you expected. Maybe all - american by the time he was a sophomore?

you have no idea why he didn't get picked up. Maybe he didn't want to play at a lower level school. Maybe teams didn't want to redshirt a kid that would play one year.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

28 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

This is reasonable, but, it can still be done in the context of firing Strong in my opinion. You don't have to fire him and immediately replace with someone having the same salary, or, assistant pool. Maybe the "suck it up" phase is with some "prove it" coaches... Joe Kinnan brought something special to CWT's staff. The Plant coach has a big following in the Tampa area... could someone like that be interested in coaching the Bulls? Maybe a St Thomas Aquinas coach?

High school may be too large of a gap (though recruiting implications could be big), but, without CCS, we could hire the next coach on the cheap... or, bust out with some wacky contract that is highly incentive laden... Bonus for wins, bonus for conference/division championships, bonus for bowl games, etc... Stop paying people just to show up. If CCS didn't get paid unless the team was winning, I bet he would stop turning over all football decisions to other people and just focusing on making the players better men... he'd figure out how to make them better men and winners.

I know there is a large group here that hates KB solely because he was a DII coach before coming here and therefore, he's not qualified, but, to that, I would say... Jim Tressel, Gus Malzahn... these guys jumped over huge gaps in their careers and have been/were pretty successful. I am a "football is football" kind of person. A good football mind at any level can adjust when talent is ramped up. If we need to save money, figure out how to do it while also winning... the "suck it up, we're poor" excuse shouldn't be an option. That's the difference between losers in the world that blame their circumstances and the Mark Cuban stories. You can either wallow in your misfortunes, or, DO SOMETHING about it.

How are these the same?

image.png.5a7c91a251d1e846e48f85b1738b1896.pngimage.png.7b6f4895f2f31cfdbaba073cf1a5ba05.png

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

14 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

yeah I hate those 4 star receivers......who needs them when we have gritty walk-ons to fill their place.

Did you expect him to start over Rodney Adams, MVS or McCants his freshman year?

Not sure what you expected. Maybe all - american by the time he was a sophomore?

you have no idea why he didn't get picked up. Maybe he didn't want to play at a lower level school. Maybe teams didn't want to redshirt a kid that would play one year.

NEB thinks being number 1 in a competition with yourself is better than being number 3 against real competition.

46 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I'm not big on these excuses for failure. They didn't hinder Taggart as little as 4 years ago.

He won recruiting battles against SEC programs with facilities that make ours look like a run down high school. He routinely beat out P5 programs for players.

Look at Senat that he signed his first year. Had offers from NC State, FSU, South Carolina, Kentucky. Tell me their facilities don't put ours to shame.

Chuck seems to have nothing but excuses.

whether it's the facilities or the malcontents he has to get rid of or the lack of execution, etc. There is always someone or something to blame.

Well, we will see what the next guy does. Willie was a slick dude with a silver tongue he may be an aberration. Gurantee the next coach will insistent too that the university gets its **** together with football facilities. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

31 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

LMAO 4 star receiver...he and Blake are poster child’s why the star system is completely bogus.     You can’t just brush off the fact that no one picked him up. And who is to say he did not do something ****** his last year? I am not going **** on Strong for every single move he made. In the end I am done with this discussion on a player who is no longer on this team and is essentially dead to me. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull