• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

KB says changes to offense this week

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Yeah, those connections really got him to the top of the college mountain in Jacksonville and Peach State. 

While USF is obviously down jumping from non scholarship FCS and DII to coordinator here with zero FBS experience even as a positions coach is quite the jump.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Our line is historically bad.   Even in the "Standord offense" days of CWT produced a 1000yd rusher.  There's no way in hell we are coming close to that with this offensive line.   Also, Atterbuy and Norman are just absolutely terrible.  Norman has terrible balance and kick step that's slow as molasses so he's constantly struggling with the speed rush and is easy to knock off balance or get his feet crossed up with a quick change of direction.   Atterbury is just a disaster and a total liability.  Young guys like Cecil, and Jennings are not physically ready at all and are often bullied because of that and Harris has some moments here and there but is extremely inconsistent.   This is by far the worst OL I have EVER seen in college football.   There are times when simple quick game route combos (plays designed to get the ball the hell out as long as the OL can make even a below overage job at pass blocking)  get so much pressure that it looks like a **** screen pass.    If you think any scheme can fix this I honestly question your ability to evaluate what goes on on the field on game day.  This line is so bad that Flowers would struggle to do anything behind it.  But yes running a zone blocking scheme and throwing a bunch of bubble screens is going to magically fix everything when our guys can't execute the most basic of pass plays and our WR's have been absolute dog **** blocking on the perimeter since CCS arrive (McCants excluded).   This goes waaaaayyyyy deeper than scheme.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Our line is historically bad.   Even in the "Standord offense" days of CWT produced a 1000yd rusher.  There's no way in hell we are coming close to that with this offensive line.   Also, Atterbuy and Norman are just absolutely terrible.  Norman has terrible balance and kick step that's slow as molasses so he's constantly struggling with the speed rush and is easy to knock off balance or get his feet crossed up with a quick change of direction.   Atterbury is just a disaster and a total liability.  Young guys like Cecil, and Jennings are not physically ready at all and are often bullied because of that and Harris has some moments here and there but is extremely inconsistent.   This is by far the worst OL I have EVER seen in college football.   There are times when simple quick game route combos (plays designed to get the ball the hell out as long as the OL can make even a below overage job at pass blocking)  get so much pressure that it looks like a **** screen pass.    If you think any scheme can fix this I honestly question your ability to evaluate what goes on on the field on game day.  This line is so bad that Flowers would struggle to do anything behind it.  But yes running a zone blocking scheme and throwing a bunch of bubble screens is going to magically fix everything when our guys can't execute the most basic of pass plays and our WR's have been absolute dog **** blocking on the perimeter since CCS arrive (McCants excluded).   This goes waaaaayyyyy deeper than scheme.   

So you do not believe that has a better chance of being successful?

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

So you do not believe that has a better chance of being successful?

Gee I wonder....? 

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

Gee I wonder....? 

I’m not saying it’s a cure all but I believe all conventional wisdom would say air raid or gulf coast would have a better chance of being successful with this line than what is currently being run. One thing is for sure it would not hurt to try as mathematics says nothing could be worse and we have a better chance of changing the scheme than we do coaching up this line or completely replacing them. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Moving players around won't fix our issues. 

It also tells me these coaches are terrible at player evaluation.  After what I saw last year no way Norman would have been in my starting lineup. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, puc86 said:

I’m not saying it’s a cure all but I believe all conventional wisdom would say air raid or gulf coast would have a better chance of being successful with this line than what is currently being run. One thing is for sure it would not hurt to try as mathematics says nothing could be worse and we have a better chance of changing the scheme than we do coaching up this line or completely replacing them. 

We are already lining up in the gun most of the time and the QB's have guys in their face so fast more often than not it looks like we're running a screen.   We can't even run quick game the majority of the time because of this.  Those are plays designed to get the ball out of the QB's hand just as fast as Air Raid or GCO.  Conventional wisdom is often wrong and is often foolish to believe when you have hard evidence that it can probably be thrown out of the window.  We need to get new coaches in here to coach the OL and it will still take AT LEAST a couple years to fix it because of the player development and maturation required.  I get it you don't understand how bad things are up front and that's fine.  It fits your schtick so i'll let you continue to do your thing in this thread because puc gunna puc.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

We are already lining up in the gun most of the time and the QB's have guys in their face so fast more often than not it looks like we're running a screen.   We can't even run quick game the majority of the time because of this.  Those are plays designed to get the ball out of the QB's hand just as fast as Air Raid or GCO.  Conventional wisdom is often wrong and is often foolish to believe when you have hard evidence that it can probably be thrown out of the window.  We need to get new coaches in here to coach the OL and it will still take AT LEAST a couple years to fix it because of the player development and maturation required.  I get it you don't understand how bad things are up front and that's fine.  It fits your schtick so i'll let you continue to do your thing in this thread because puc gunna puc.  

If you say so. I really am not trying to be contrarian and believe your football knowledge is quite strong. I also believe that popular opinion and KB’s description of his offense would necessitate a strong offensive lines. There are offenses that are more associated with weaker lines and it would be nice if we could check that off the possible reasons why our offense is historically bad. You say you see enough in what is being produced to know that anything would fail but certainly you have to admit that when you put people in a position to fail that will have some contribution to their results (maybe we can go from laughably bad to just bad.

15 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If you say so. I really am not trying to be contrarian and believe your football knowledge is quite strong. I also believe that popular opinion and KB’s description of his offense would necessitate a strong offensive lines. There are offenses that are more associated with weaker lines and it would be nice if we could check that off the possible reasons why our offense is historically bad. You say you see enough in what is being produced to know that anything would fail but certainly you have to admit that when you put people in a position to fail that will have some contribution to their results (maybe we can go from laughably bad to just bad.

Generalities are great when you don't have proof in the doo doo flavored pudding right in front of you. We've already eaten almost half a mixing bowl (bowel) at this point.