• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential head coaching candidates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I noticed that when BB came in the second half they immediately started with quick release plays (and I think they did the same with McCloud). There's no perfect cure-all, but it would at least get the offense moving and help with confidence. I don't want to hear the word "long-developing" for the rest of the year. Get the ball away from that bad o-line, keep the QBs from getting hit on literally every play, and then maybe we can get to 24 PPG (and with the better TOP numbers, perhaps our defense is able to do enough to get us a few wins). There's no other solution here. 

As far as new coach hires, the field is just too wide open right now but it has to be someone with Florida ties. I don't know if Bill Clark would consider USF, he's got a good thing going at UAB, but I personally believe he's a pretty special coach. You take a team that hasn't played a live game in two years and lead them to an 8 win season? Color me impressed. I think if you offered him $2.5M you could make him move, but not at $2M-he's making $1.7 at UAB and there's obvious institutional and fan support there. 

The strong state program right now is UF, but I haven't seen enough from them on either side of the ball to say either coordinator is the one yet. 

Here's one no one has mentioned yet: Steve Ensminger. LSU is currently the #1 offense in the country and they've scored big against everyone they've faced. He also was OC last year for LSU, and they scored, in order, 22 against #7 Auburn, 19 against #22 UF, 36 against #2 Georgia, 19 against #22 MIssissippi State, 0 against #1 Alabama, and 40 against #7 random directional school from Orlando. 

I would love to see more of what they do this year, and that donut against Alabama (which is less shocking than it seems given Alabama held Mississippi State to a shutout the next week and didn't start giving significant points until the playoffs) worries me, but he might be the guy. Downside is the guy is 61 and may not have the fire to want to try for a bigger job-we need someone with that fire and determination. 

I like Eliah Drinkwitz too but it may be too early as he's just four games into his first head coaching trip.  

Edited by bullsbucsfan426

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  811
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe USF should hire Coach Castle as a consultant to help recruit a worthy coach....  He seems to know what it takes to WIN!!

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/xjzdewS9JUS6W6ZvOfOmRA/winningest-active-high-school-football-coach-in-each-state.htm

433 wins — Bill Castle, Lakeland
Note: Has won seven state championships and a pair of national titles in his 43 seasons, all at Lakeland.

He coached Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, Chris Rainey, Ahmad Black, and many other great college players.  Could also help us with recruiting from Polk.

He's 70 and still motivating kids to win EVERY YEAR!!

Edited by 94 Bull

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

No more Head Coach retreads. Let’s grab a top-tier P5 OC. A schematic innovator with actual charisma and energy. Someone with something to prove.

Edited by OnTheBus
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

As far as new coach hires, the field is just too wide open right now but it has to be someone with Florida ties. 

CCS has Florida ties...what has that done for the Bulls?

What Florida ties did Scott Frost, or Josh Heupel have?

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

1 hour ago, 94 Bull said:

Maybe USF should hire Coach Castle as a consultant to help recruit a worthy coach....  He seems to know what it takes to WIN!!

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/xjzdewS9JUS6W6ZvOfOmRA/winningest-active-high-school-football-coach-in-each-state.htm

433 wins — Bill Castle, Lakeland
Note: Has won seven state championships and a pair of national titles in his 43 seasons, all at Lakeland.

He coached Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, Chris Rainey, Ahmad Black, and many other great college players.  Could also help us with recruiting from Polk.

He's 70 and still motivating kids to win EVERY YEAR!!

And then...USF could play at Bryant Stadium and pack the house!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 minutes ago, slick1ru2 said:

Bobby Petrino

2-8 last year coaching is a bit concerning 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

And then...USF could play at Bryant Stadium and pack the house!

I like the optimism 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

14 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

CCS has Florida ties...what has that done for the Bulls?

What Florida ties did Scott Frost, or Josh Heupel have?

As far as Frost and Heupel go they both had the benefit of coming into a program that had already done the hard work of selling UCF to Orlando and to many parts of Florida in general. It was less relevant for them. 

USF hasn't succeeded fully at that, so having a coach who can sell some sort of affiliation with the state of Florida is massively beneficial. 

And since you're so willing to quote only part of my post, but not all of it, why don't you comment on my suggestions for head coach? Go on, I'm waiting. Until you do I'll call you Mr. Broken Pipe-because all you do is comment on problems, with zero ideas on how to fix them! Just like pointing at a broken pipe! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

As far as Frost and Heupel go they both had the benefit of coming into a program that had already done the hard work of selling UCF to Orlando and to many parts of Florida in general. It was less relevant for them. 

USF hasn't succeeded fully at that, so having a coach who can sell some sort of affiliation with the state of Florida is massively beneficial. 

And since you're so willing to quote only part of my post, but not all of it, why don't you comment on my suggestions for head coach? Go on, I'm waiting. Until you do I'll call you Mr. Broken Pipe-because all you do is comment on problems, with zero ideas on how to fix them! Just like pointing at a broken pipe! 

Since you’re not, as far as I know...part of the decision making team in the Selmon Building, why would I waste my time commenting on your suggestions?

Regards, Mr. Broken Pipe.