• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

War Flamingo Returns?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

1 hour ago, mj796 said:

Generally, winning. Seems like we should win football games. There are a number of unique elements of our local area that could be incorporated. Sometimes the biggest eye-sores turn out to be a special part of the charm...take for example the South Carolina Cockabooses. It's a bit difficult given our stadium is not exactly ours, but that doesn't mean that we cannot develop unique pre-game and in-game traditions. I think we have all been witness to some positive momentum from VPMK. I will throw out a few wild ideas for pre-game opportunities to establish tradition (all far better and more relevant than a flamingo):

1. Setup the Guinness Book of World Records largest simultaneous bull ride - we get a bunch of mechanical bulls and run them all at the same time. It works out for everyone...kids want to ride bulls, drunk college girls want to ride bulls. Eventually, Madison from Tri Delt gets up the nerve to ride the bull before a statement win. "Oh em gee Taylor!! We won because I rode that bull, it's my good luck charm" and proceeds to ride a bull before every game forever.

2. Pre-game drink - work with the folks at CCB (or some other local brewery) to produce the Horny Bull IPA. Only available in Tampa and during football season, the Horny Bull IPA is available to students and alumni for $5 a 6 pack and proceeds are donated to the USF Foundation. Before long, if you go to a USF game, your beer of choice better be the Horny Bull IPA.

3. Annual flamingo bonfire - Bring all of your weird flamingo decorations to Ray Jay for the biggest Bonfire this side of the Mississippi! 

Ideas are great but the ideas you propose seem a bit impractical. I hate to rain on the parade of these but here is my take on what the roadblocks are for each of the three above.

1. Without even taking insurance and potential liability concerns into it, the logistics involved with locating, moving, setting up, and promoting the GBOWW Bull ride seems beyond possible. How is this going to make money or build tradition? I mean-- sure-- it is an idea I suppose but I don't get how this ever is going to happen.

2. Drinking sort of excludes younger fans or those who simply do not drink. I am at a loss trying to figure out these numbers you threw out ($5 a six pack-- incredibly cheap for an IPA)-- and how that is going to be a seasonal money maker. I won't even bother getting into the potential liability issues that are associated with alcohol in general.

3. Burning plastic, a huge fire, finding a location to do this and not have the fire department or others up your butt about attempting this - wow -- this sounds like a good way to get arrested. I get the hatred for the war flamingo thing and am thankful you don't hate books or witches.

I have never been a supporter of the War Flamingo stuff. I openly complained that it was dumb and not a tradition. It seems like the more anyone fights it, the stronger it gets or the more likely it is to remain. So a handful of people think this is an awesome idea-- so what? Is it hurting USF or other fans? Does ANYONE really notice from other schools? I am amazed when someone knows our school exists let alone that 15 people occasionally wear flamingo heads to the game. 30 years from now-- sure -- there will be people who remember this stuff and have a laugh over it. But it has ZERO impact on the field of play. Just let it be-- let the folks enjoy themselves however they want to go to the game.

Edited by MikeG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So you want a bunch of drunks riding a mechanical bull...yeah that works well. Keep the stinking flamingos...

Actually, I believe USF will reveal Roller Bull this homecoming! Believe the engineering students almost had it ready for the first game but I think the smoke machine or the wheels were not working.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, mj796 said:

What are you even talking about? There is no way this is part of our culture but it could be. That's my point...would be a very sad day. Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen...it's not happening.

You're saying it isn't part of our culture but it's something that actually happens around the program unlike the things you responded with when asked what you think our culture is.

When it's still talked about over a decade later, it's something. Maybe not culture since you seem allergic to the idea of that but something.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

God, can we mercifully kill this thread? Burn it with fire or at least have Brad lock it.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,583
  • Days Won:  29

Do what you want and have fun !

Remember a Citadel grad and his fsu wife went to gator games and started a chant ... caught on.

Howard's Rock in Clemson . . . Howard gave the rock he brought back from South America a long time ago. They coach used it as a door stop. New coach comes in and decides to use it for something other than a door stop.

Welcome to Tamplona Bull Fans ! 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

14 minutes ago, E.T. said:

Do what you want and have fun !

Remember a Citadel grad and his fsu wife went to gator games and started a chant ... caught on.

Howard's Rock in Clemson . . . Howard gave the rock he brought back from South America a long time ago. They coach used it as a door stop. New coach comes in and decides to use it for something other than a door stop.

Welcome to Tamplona Bull Fans ! 

Great points, ET

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

7 hours ago, mj796 said:

This is a weird thing. Every team has lots of weird traditions that fit into their own culture but they are usually interesting...if we don't stop this one soon, it will become part of our culture as well. Same thing with these hideous helmets. They are now part of our culture and people seem to like them (so weird). Our team fell apart when we switched to Adidas from UA. Adidas objectively sucks. Their uniform designs for every team they have are terrible. Their polo's and other gameday fan gear look like rejects from the Bealls Outlet. However, by the time the contract is up, cheap uniforms and gear will be part of our culture. CCS likes mediocrity...by the time he is gone, mediocrity will be part of our culture. Rising up against the 'stronger' teams used to be part of our culture...you could always count on us for at least one upset each year. Now that culture is gone and underperforming against expectations is our new culture. We squandered a good culture and let a bad culture take over. UCF was below us, not even worth having a conversation about as our rivals. Now they are the belle of the ball. Cool uniforms and gameday experience too. They developed weird things that are somewhat cool (to some people I suppose even though I find all of their traditions 'War Flamingo-esque'). The point is, bad things need to be crushed quickly and absolutely. If Robert Barathean ensures Danarys Targaryan is killed when discovered, she never rises to power. A bit of a rambling rant here but we need to stop doing this dumb **** and stop making these terrible decisions. The War Flamingo is a microcosm of the small time ******** that we need to grow out of. 

You really believe that?  The uni's can make a team suck or not suck?  You sound like CCS when he blamed the black unis last year.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, MikeG said:

I have never been a supporter of the War Flamingo stuff. So a handful of people think this is an awesome idea-- so what? But it has ZERO impact on the field of play. Just let it be-- let the folks enjoy themselves however they want to go to the game.

You say it has zero impact on the field, but Collin told me that he snuck into CCSs office and found evidence that he’s going to blame our next home loss on pink flamingos in the stands. 

:stirpot:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, &rew Bull said:

You're saying it isn't part of our culture but it's something that actually happens around the program unlike the things you responded with when asked what you think our culture is.

When it's still talked about over a decade later, it's something. Maybe not culture since you seem allergic to the idea of that but something.

I mean, people still technically talk about the time I drank too much and peed in a stairwell in a hotel in New Orleans 15 years ago, doesn't mean it's part of New Orleans culture...ok, maybe that's a bad example.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

You say it has zero impact on the field, but Collin told me that he snuck into CCSs office and found evidence that he’s going to blame our next home loss on pink flamingos in the stands. 

:stirpot:

Good thing War Flamingo is green

8FCACEAF-6451-42F9-9F40-B48B236EB348.jpeg

• Haha 1