• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

War Flamingo Returns?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Do the Cheese Heads get this much heat? What’s the difference?

Neither is the mascot.  And “Packers” refers to meat packing - not cheese packing - I just checked.

Both are representative of the their region. 

OK - team color.  Not a show stopper in my book. 

I can’t believe people are bothered by a small, yes SMALL number of fans who want to do this. 

I say, “Party on - thanks for coming!”

You can't possibly be serious comparing this to GB Cheeseheads. Anyway...

The number of people who complain about it is very small. The whole situation is small. If not for the threads on the Bulls Pen it would have been gone or never existed in 2007. Most of us just say -- "hey, if you like it - you do you". We had better head wear over the course of our football years-- the plastic viking horns were popular for a while. The hard hats with the horns were made pretty popular by Mutt and Art Jones et al. I think there was a fake inflatable cow head thing for a while that never really caught on. There was a guy who tried his best to get USF fans to partake in the Mr. 2 Bits cheer. There was the whole Tamplona thing that sort of died off. Remember the time when Grothe sported that Grohawk? We've had lots of attempts to get there but nothing has really stuck or spread-- nothing like the Cheeseheads.

I think most of us just want there to be more fans in the stands however they want to represent. If this war flamingo thing is your deal-- more power to you. No one is stopping you. I just don't see it having the impact some might think it has or will one day become. But the amount of people who are on either side of this issue seems way overblown by the supporters mostly.

33 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

If we get 50 War Flamingo peeps every game then we are doing something right 

fixed that for you to the baby steps version

though I would take 50K per game wearing Hawaiin shirts at this point.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, MikeG said:

fixed that for you to the baby steps version

though I would take 50K per game wearing Hawaiin shirts at this point.

Lol true. One step at a time. 

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  223
  • Days Won:  1

I think the main problem here is that to the casual fan at the stadium who sees a pink flamingo they really have no idea what it is.  They need to be made aware of the name war flamingo.  

I’ll start bringing my flag into the games to spread more awareness.  I can even run down to the empty camera bay behind the goal post on goal line stances for more visibility .  

6AB64C9D-B562-495F-8919-A4A1ADDC7F13.jpeg

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

16 hours ago, MikeG said:

There was the whole Tamplona thing that sort of died off.

ah ha i see what you did there lol

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Tamplona was the thing that really should have stuck.  It was a genius idea from @E.T..  I know @Triple B agrees with me wholeheartedly.

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Tamplona was the thing that really should have stuck.  It was a genius idea from @E.T..  I know @Triple B agrees with me wholeheartedly.

I agree and never quite understood why they stopped. I don't know-- I haven't been to a home game since I moved - over 5 years ago -- do they have people leading the team out dressed in the red bandanas? I haven't seen it. IIRC they even gave out those bandanas a couple of times at games. That was more around the peak of the program in terms of attendance though. It might just be a money thing or due to a change in the athletics department.

It really makes me envious of the traditions of teams like Auburn with the eagle flying around the stadium.

Now if someone could train a dang flamingo to do that--- NOW WE'RE TALKING and hell yes, WAR FLAMINGO would take off like crazy. Last I checked-- that isn't something Flamingos are capable of. Though they could release a Flamingo. Whatever the case with my current off the wall tangent-- how confusing would this be to 99% of the crowd?

On a new tangent-- if we trained a whole bunch of BULLdogs to stampede out onto the field-- that would be both hilarious and at least they have the word bull in their name. Someone recently used that concept in a tv commercial-- so not original but a fun idea that would probably get people to want to get to their seats early to watch the craziness of 20 bulldogs running towards midfield.

Sorry-- I am a little loopy today.

29 minutes ago, Danm1983 said:
17 hours ago, MikeG said:

There was the whole Tamplona thing that sort of died off.

ah ha i see what you did there lol

I didn't know I did something-- and if I did it was unintentional. Can you clue me into why that comment has more than the intended meaning?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  930
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Yogi said:

I think the main problem here is that to the casual fan at the stadium who sees a pink flamingo they really have no idea what it is.  They need to be made aware of the name war flamingo.  

I’ll start bringing my flag into the games to spread more awareness.  I can even run down to the empty camera bay behind the goal post on goal line stances for more visibility .  

6AB64C9D-B562-495F-8919-A4A1ADDC7F13.jpeg

Holy crap i want one of these.  Honestly I think war flamingo is funny and I get a kick outta seeing the flamingo hats, blowup flamingos and the like at games.   I get it was a spoof on auburn.   

Isn't 'War Flamingo' in essence how traditions should start.  A few people do something, not forced, kind of an organic thing that started on its own.  Then years later people are still doing it? I'm not saying we should hang our hat on this but that's how traditions start.  Kind of like the cowbell deal with the rays? 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I really have no problem with the War Flamingo thingy...at least it’s not a copied hand sign...😱