• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

War Flamingo Returns?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 hours ago, JTrue said:

I mean, people still technically talk about the time I drank too much and peed in a stairwell in a hotel in New Orleans 15 years ago, doesn't mean it's part of New Orleans culture...ok, maybe that's a bad example.

Actually I think I saw a small statue of you in the seedy part of the town that celebrates your monumental achievement. 😂

5E65CB91-487E-4D81-B303-B5EA32A2D454.jpeg

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  483
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So you want a bunch of drunks riding a mechanical bull...yeah that works well. Keep the stinking flamingos...

You seem like a lot of fun at parties.

14 hours ago, MikeG said:

Ideas are great but the ideas you propose seem a bit impractical. I hate to rain on the parade of these but here is my take on what the roadblocks are for each of the three above.

1. Without even taking insurance and potential liability concerns into it, the logistics involved with locating, moving, setting up, and promoting the GBOWW Bull ride seems beyond possible. How is this going to make money or build tradition? I mean-- sure-- it is an idea I suppose but I don't get how this ever is going to happen.

2. Drinking sort of excludes younger fans or those who simply do not drink. I am at a loss trying to figure out these numbers you threw out ($5 a six pack-- incredibly cheap for an IPA)-- and how that is going to be a seasonal money maker. I won't even bother getting into the potential liability issues that are associated with alcohol in general.

3. Burning plastic, a huge fire, finding a location to do this and not have the fire department or others up your butt about attempting this - wow -- this sounds like a good way to get arrested. I get the hatred for the war flamingo thing and am thankful you don't hate books or witches.

I have never been a supporter of the War Flamingo stuff. I openly complained that it was dumb and not a tradition. It seems like the more anyone fights it, the stronger it gets or the more likely it is to remain. So a handful of people think this is an awesome idea-- so what? Is it hurting USF or other fans? Does ANYONE really notice from other schools? I am amazed when someone knows our school exists let alone that 15 people occasionally wear flamingo heads to the game. 30 years from now-- sure -- there will be people who remember this stuff and have a laugh over it. But it has ZERO impact on the field of play. Just let it be-- let the folks enjoy themselves however they want to go to the game.

Thanks Mike, I always respect your perspective. I did, however, note these as 'wild' ideas that were right off the top of my head in a tongue-in-cheek sense. I believe in the GBOWW initiative however...maybe just once but it can happen! As for #2, if there is a USF alum that owns a brewery, something to this effect should absolutely be considered. I don't think it would be intended to be a money maker and people would buy their beer just like they do now, so I am not sure there would be an added liability. For #3, noted. The risk in the flamingos is that this sort of thing gets caught on camera, then discussed in various media outlets, then grows becoming part of our identity. Not great.

13 hours ago, USF Bulls Football said:

God, can we mercifully kill this thread? Burn it with fire or at least have Brad lock it.

Agreed, War Flamingo is toxic!

12 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

You really believe that?  The uni's can make a team suck or not suck?  You sound like CCS when he blamed the black unis last year.

I retract this, but 'look good, feel good' is a real thing. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Ugh this thread keeps bumping.  Is there a functionality to ignore a thread?  I see a "follow" option, but is there a digital lobotomy option?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

8 hours ago, mj796 said:

Thanks Mike, I always respect your perspective. I did, however, note these as 'wild' ideas that were right off the top of my head in a tongue-in-cheek sense. I believe in the GBOWW initiative however...maybe just once but it can happen! As for #2, if there is a USF alum that owns a brewery, something to this effect should absolutely be considered. I don't think it would be intended to be a money maker and people would buy their beer just like they do now, so I am not sure there would be an added liability. For #3, noted. The risk in the flamingos is that this sort of thing gets caught on camera, then discussed in various media outlets, then grows becoming part of our identity. Not great.

I guess the detail you went into with the ideas distracted me from the "wild" part and led me to think you were a little more invested in seeing something like them happening. As I stated- I am not a fan of the War Flamingo stuff- it seems like a joke that grew legs. But the folks who get upset by it seem to be overstating the general impact/importance. In other words-- I don't feel it is hurting anyone and if someone finds it fun-- good for them.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

Do the Cheese Heads get this much heat? What’s the difference?

Neither is the mascot.  And “Packers” refers to meat packing - not cheese packing - I just checked.

Both are representative of the their region. 

OK - team color.  Not a show stopper in my book. 

I can’t believe people are bothered by a small, yes SMALL number of fans who want to do this. 

I say, “Party on - thanks for coming!”

Edited by Boomer

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

If we get 50k War Flamingo peeps every game then we are doing something right