• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's time to go on the record .... (OT drivel from our Kanigit friends)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,884
  • Days Won:  33

On 8/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, Triple B said:

You have not provided ANY fact based reasons why an ocs would be financially better for USF.

Keeping the dollars associated with tickets, parking, suites, and concessions would be a huge benefit.

Obviously, we'd be on the hook for maintenance, etc.

Edited by John Lewis

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, Triple B said:

You have not provided ANY fact based reasons why an ocs would be financially better for USF.

From a fan standpoint, we all agree it would be a much better USF centric experience and it will be easier for our lazier students to get to a game. There are no other fact based reasons.

No you're right. Renting a stadium and not getting to take advantage of "keeping the dollars associated with tickets, parking, suites, and concessions" must be an opinion, not a fact - according to you. I've already shown that UCF is turning a net positive profit of 3+ million per season and thats AFTER the stadium debt/interest is being paid off and is on track to have the whole stadium paid off in 20 years. That's a fact. It's also a fact that the maintenance over a 20 year period is also going to be FAR less than the money you're losing out over renting Ray Jay for 20 years. That statement alone trumps any argument, period. As Puc says, the blue chip programs have had stadiums that have been paid off for decades and they are reaping the rewards for that initial investment.

Trying to equate a $50 million dollar OCS investment versus a $500 million-$1 billion dollar NFL stadium is not even apples to oranges. It's like apples to durian. Those massive stadiums aren't nearly as lucrative due to the incredible amount of interest alone being paid annually. 

To recap - these are facts:

1. In the AAC - a 65k stadium that can only be filled to half unless playing FSU/UF etc does not trump a normal AAC schedule where the stadium is filled at half capacity. 

2. The "home game" advantage is 100% apparent with an OCS. (https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-toughest-environments-2019-Clemson-Alabama-Texas-Georgia-Ohio-State-UCF-127802172/#127802172_6)

• Stands very close to the field (far, far closer than others)
  • Enclosed stadium, with echoing aluminum

That's how 47K sounds like 70K. We pack 47K in much, much closer than other stadiums pack in <45K in their lower bowl.

"Many of the players said they were able to feed off the energy of the announced crowd of 47,795 in attendance at Spectrum Stadium.
“Knight Nation was unreal,” Connors said. “That was the loudest … even away games, when we were at Michigan or South Carolina … that was the loudest stadium I’ve ever been in.

3. Team pride is exponentially elevated when the home game is played on the school's campus compared to off site in a rented stadium.

4. Bringing alumni BACK to campus, has a profound effect on people willing to donate and not just attend games.

5. Paying off a stadium WHILE STILL having money left over trumps renting a stadium and LOSING money yearly.

6. The fan experience derived from being in an OCS where traditions take root is what college football is all about. No matter how many gators fill  up Ray Jay, it's never going to come close to what it will be like on black friday this year. (Even Chris Fowler and Herbstreit mentioned this during the UCF/Cincinatti game last year [that an OCS experience trumps college NFL stadium games).

7. Our net position will continue to increase year after year as the interest goes down and thus, more money being made from each home game will allow for higher coaching salaries and thus a better chance to hold onto successful coaches.

8. Being able to modify the stadium at will based on the needs of the conference (i.e. adding more and more luxury suites, expanding Roth tower, adding stadium wide alcohol and all the revenue generated goes to the school) is fundamentally better than watching that income go to the Glazers/City of Tampa Bay.

TripleB, feel free to dispute any of these in favor of your current situation being superior than finding a way to build an OCS.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, John Lewis said:

Keeping the dollars associated with tickets, parking, suites, and concessions would be a huge benefit.

Obviously, we'd be on the hook for maintenance, etc.

John, if there is info out there that actually shows USF would be financially better off at this point in an ocs over renting RayJay, AND has the resources to build one now, please help Meeps out by providing it. 

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

John, if there is info out there that actually shows USF would be financially better off at this point in an ocs over renting RayJay, AND has the resources to build one now, please help Meeps out by providing it. 

This is exactly what i'm talking about. You have other people try to make points for you instead of addressing them directly yourself; and then you talk big after Puc, et al come back with counter points.

Why don't YOU show how any of what I posted is incorrect? Why don't you break down your financial statements showing why renting is financially superior? We've already done the groundwork for you. Simply click on the link, go through the itemized lines and form a coherent argument in support of renting.  

But you're not going to do that. It's simple, you can't. There are an overwhelming amount of reasons why an OCS is better than renting. And until you can articulate why there are more reasons to rent, than own an OCS - my point remains proven.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,884
  • Days Won:  33

35 minutes ago, Triple B said:

No specific figures out there since we don't have stadium capacity, cost of tickets, etc., but an OCS is a better long term investment in my opinion.

I'm not sure how UCF fit 47,000+ people into a stadium that supposed to seat 45,000. Seems like a fire code violation to me.

Edited by John Lewis

10 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

No specific figures out there since we don't have stadium capacity, cost of tickets, etc., but an OCS is a better long term investment in my opinion.

It's amazing that in a half a sentence you've said basically the same thing that it's taken Meeps thousands and thousands of wasted words to try and convey .... without specific figures from a feasibility study for a USF ocs, there's no way for someone to compare the financial advantages/disadvantages of having a USF ocs versus renting Ray Jay without just conveying their opinion.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

I'm not sure how UCF fit 47,000+ people into a stadium that supposed to seat 45,000. Seems like a fire code violation to me.

Fitting 45,000 in that death trap that's supposed to seat 45,000 should be some sort of code violation.

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

It's amazing that in a half a sentence you've said basically the same thing that it's taken Meeps thousands and thousands of wasted words to try and convey .... without specific figures from a feasibility study for a USF ocs, there's no way for someone to compare the financial advantages/disadvantages of having a USF ocs versus renting Ray Jay without just conveying their opinion.

I guess this is further proof that you would rather stick your head in the sand when information is being presented from a non-bull that highlights EXACTLY why my point made sense that having an OCS is superior than renting a stadium. Instead, you opt for a fellow-bull's opinion that wasn't really backed up by anything other than it being his opinion. And you call Knight fans delusional? 

Delusional: a disorder where a person has trouble recognizing reality. A delusion is a false belief that is based on an incorrect interpretation of reality. 

The reality is that there are numerous reasons why an OCS is better, and by saying that the only way to know for sure is to have a feasibility study is EXACTLY why you're delusional. You can't admit reality because you willfully ignore evidence and use a bogus premise that "well gee - if only we had done an OCS feasibility study" - Newsflash, you did! Why don't you go through that feasibility study and prove me wrong?

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Fitting 45,000 in that death trap that's supposed to seat 45,000 should be some sort of code violation.

This might surprise you but this happens across the country during big games. We have concourses that people can stand at the top of stadium to view the game. Some of this area has been blocked off because our AD build Loge suites + Roth Tower connects to this concourse. But there is about 280 degrees of standing room at the top that is unused.

There is also standing room available in front of mid level seats that are elevated, so the people standing in these areas don't block people's view. Normally that space is used to go from one section to another, or down below where the concessions are. 45,000 is seats available, that's not max capacity. Between those two areas, they could probably hit 50k.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

17 hours ago, Meeps said:

Delusional: a disorder where a person has trouble recognizing reality. A delusion is a false belief that is based on an incorrect interpretation of reality. 

giphy.gif