• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's time to go on the record .... (OT drivel from our Kanigit friends)

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, puc86 said:

They are separate ideas. 1) you collect more student fees 2) you have a temporary attendance boom from success. Neither the fees nor the boom can be attributed to an OCS and both can exist sans an OCS. That you have had poor attendance in your OCS is further proof that an OCS is not the magic bullet that is suggested.

This is a false equivalence. There is a reason UCF has been one of the top schools in the AAC year in and year out for attendance. No matter how much both programs inflate their numbers, UCF is averaging far more actual fans in the stadium than usf is and i'm not just referring to 2017 and 2018. You guys were 7-0 with an abysmal fan turnout. Maybe just maybe there are several facets that bring people to games and having pride is a major factor.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Meeps said:

I think you're spinning your tires on this. It's a fact that after all the gross revenue and expenses come in, UCF is still making $3 million in profit (not per game, but at the end of the year). That number would be much higher but we keep adding more things to the stadium that have to be paid off first (comes out of the total profits) plus we owe several million in interest each year. It's also a fact that at the end of the year, usf is losing several million dollars that has to be subsidized.

$3 million has nothing to do with football that’s all of Athletics  (well it 40% has to do with football). If an OCS is as obviously lucrative as you suggest and is a popular notion with the fans then why do you believe USF decides to leave money on the table and upset fans and you guys didn’t do it until your hand was forced?

2 minutes ago, Meeps said:

This is a false equivalence. There is a reason UCF has been one of the top schools in the AAC year in and year out for attendance. No matter how much both programs inflate their numbers, UCF is averaging far more actual fans in the stadium than usf is and i'm not just referring to 2017 and 2018. You guys were 7-0 with an abysmal fan turnout. Maybe just maybe there are several facets that bring people to games and having pride is a major factor.

You have no idea how many actual fans have attended ucf football in any given year.

Just now, puc86 said:

$3 million has nothing to do with football that’s all of Athletics  (well it 40% has to do with football). If an OCS is as obviously lucrative as you suggest and is a popular notion with the fans then why do you believe USF decides to leave money on the table and upset fans and you guys didn’t do it until your hand was forced?

Because your program was elevated to the Big East without a body of work that justified the move. You've tasted the finer things in life and are in denial that it's all going to come back. You play at an NFL stadium and swallowing the pill of a Spectrum stadium-like OCS would be like going from the CEO to a mid-level manager. The difference is, the ladder can be climbed back up but you're not ready or willing. Instead, you stay unemployed sending out your resume to CEO jobs but that phone is never going to ring.

4 minutes ago, Meeps said:

Because your program was elevated to the Big East without a body of work that justified the move. You've tasted the finer things in life and are in denial that it's all going to come back. You play at an NFL stadium and swallowing the pill of a Spectrum stadium-like OCS would be like going from the CEO to a mid-level manager. The difference is, the ladder can be climbed back up but you're not ready or willing. Instead, you stay unemployed sending out your resume to CEO jobs but that phone is never going to ring.

No one in authority was here for that, if it was an obvious profit center there would be no better way to make their mark then to take on a sexy project like building an OCS. That no one is clamoring to do so speaks more to my position than yours. If something makes more money and makes fans happy then it’s a no brainer but for some reason people looking at the numbers keep shelfing the idea, there is a reason for that.

31 minutes ago, puc86 said:

No one in authority was here for that, if it was an obvious profit center there would be no better way to make their mark then to take on a sexy project like building an OCS. That no one is clamoring to do so speaks more to my position than yours. If something makes more money and makes fans happy then it’s a no brainer but for some reason people looking at the numbers keep shelfing the idea, there is a reason for that.

According to the feasibility study, there is interest in an OCS, just not what was proposed. The study suggested building a lavish 30k seat stadium for a ridiculous amount of money. That doesn't satisfy two things, 1. 30k isn't large enough and 2. A $200+ million dollar stadium would be incredibly taxing on the athletics department.

It takes vision to see that having an OCS; one that is affordable has long term benefit. But your standards are through the roof of what you should build and thus the lack of any forward traction. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. The longer your athletics procrastinates about building an OCS - the farther out of reach it will become.

1 minute ago, Meeps said:

According to the feasibility study, there is interest in an OCS, just not what was proposed. The study suggested building a lavish 30k seat stadium for a ridiculous amount of money. That doesn't satisfy two things, 1. 30k isn't large enough and 2. A $200+ million dollar stadium would be incredibly taxing on the athletics department.

It takes vision to see that having an OCS; one that is affordable has long term benefit. But your standards are through the roof of what you should build and thus the lack of any forward traction. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. The longer your athletics procrastinates about building an OCS - the farther out of reach it will become.

What if it makes sense for us to be fine with that? Is it completely unfathomable to  you that circumstances dictated to you that it was in your best interest to build a stadium but circumstances could dictate that it’s in our best interest to rent RayJay?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,533
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Meeps said:

I've moved onto OCS > Renting because we've moved past the initial conversation. That probably went over your head because like most usf fans, living in denial is far more gratifying than facing reality.

If you have moved on it's because you gave up trying to actually prove it, because you certainly haven't ...... that part hasn't gone over my head.

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

What if it makes sense for us to be fine with that? Is it completely unfathomable to  you that circumstances dictated to you that it was in your best interest to build a stadium but circumstances could dictate that it’s in our best interest to rent RayJay?

We've spent 10+ pages trying to get that to sink into his thick skull .... he'll never get it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

We've spent 10+ pages trying to get that to sink into his thick skull .... he'll never get it.

I think I’m a mere 10 more pages from it clicking for him, some people just need a little remediation.

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think I’m a mere 10 more pages from it clicking for him, some people just need a little remediation.

We're looking at a thread of AW proportions before that has a chance  ....