• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

On campus stadium is on the back burner

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

13 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

Always so much confirmation bias going on in these threads.  Made up facts about how awful owning an OCS is (save the one or two FCS articles please).  If we had an OCS we would not be clamoring to get into  Ray jay, we would be talking about how awesome it is to have our own place.  Can’t think of one other college football fan base that would even suggest they would rather not own an OCS.  The OCS discussion is always the same.  Simply put, an OCS is an investment in the future fan base, brings people back to campus, builds the college tradition, etc.  But some just refuse to see that.  

I think there is no one that wouldn't want a OCS if it could miracle its way into our lives but in the reality in which we live it is reasonable to question if it would be wise to gamble a small fortune and perhaps our University's future on something that wouldn't work for us if we get called up to the P5 and we may not have a need for long before it is paid off if we do not get called up to the P5. As for the return on investment for stadium ownership its not one or two articles its universal consensus from every study, article or just plain looking around that owning a stadium from a fiscal standpoint is entirely stupid and to be avoided at all costs, that is why every argument appeals to emotion and not ROI.

Image result for if it dont make dollars it don't make sense 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Basketball Jones said:

This guy...

UCF didn't move from the Citrus Bowl to their new digs because the had any foresight they moved because they had no other option when the Citrus dump was going to be closing for much needed renovations.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, Basketball Jones said:

This guy...

Why should I care about some rando on Twitter?  But oh well I'll bite.

Yeah things really turned around for UCF once they cut corners to get a high school stadium that has been structurally unsound for decades, then broke NCAA rules to nab recruits, worked a kid to death, and cheated the state out of millions of dollars to build up their campus.

At least our presidents are willing to go on the record and don't resign in disgrace. 

But hey I guess getting a bunch of alums to drink the "national championship" Kool aid (so they'll buy season tickets) is what really matters when it comes to institutions of higher learning.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

11 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think there is no one that wouldn't want a OCS if it could miracle its way into our lives but in the reality in which we live it is reasonable to question if it would be wise to gamble a small fortune and perhaps our University's future on something that wouldn't work for us if we get called up to the P5 and we may not have a need for long before it is paid off if we do not get called up to the P5. As for the return on investment for stadium ownership its not one or two articles its universal consensus from every study, article or just plain looking around that owning a stadium from a fiscal standpoint is entirely stupid and to be avoided at all costs, that is why every argument appeals to emotion and not ROI.

Image result for if it dont make dollars it don't make sense 

If one is looking for an ROI on the structure, then no, but that is not the investment potential.  You can’t look at it as you would a real property investment, that is missing the point.  The IPF, the Sun Dome, etc are not money makers, they are facilities investments.  Football will always drive the bus and every year that goes by without us having an OCS is a missed opportunity.  There are plenty of options that would work for us, P5 or not.  We don’t need to build Rayjay on campus. 

10 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

If one is looking for an ROI on the structure, then no, but that is not the investment potential.  You can’t look at it as you would a real property investment, that is missing the point.  The IPF, the Sun Dome, etc are not money makers, they are facilities investments.  Football will always drive the bus and every year that goes by without us having an OCS is a missed opportunity.  There are plenty of options that would work for us, P5 or not.  We don’t need to build Rayjay on campus. 

When we were in the BEAST and had crowds I think there was an argument to be made. Now we seem to be hemorrhaging funds, we do not have a huge demand, we do not have a ton of donors and it seems like people want to dream that an OCS would be a silver bullet that could magically heal what ails us but that seems like an expensive unforced error when there isn't really anything forcing our hand to make a move. I am hardly risk adverse but this seems to be risk seeking with little reason to believe it will benefit us more than it will hurt us other than hopes and dreams. If someone wants to spend a quarter of a billion dollars on something that it would be 25 years of their entire yearly budget to build when its already losing millions of dollars a year they better have some cold hard proof that this investment will right the ship but it seems more built on memories that "you cant put a price on"  I however can put a price on memories and it is way less than hundreds of millions of dollars. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

18 hours ago, Calibull said:

lol.. nope... they're building a stadium in Mission Valley... voters agreed to it. 

16 hours ago, Triple B said:

Thought this was interesting so checked it out and just to be clear, the voters aren't paying for the stadium. They just voted to have the city sell the land where SDCCU Stadium currently sits to SDSU who will be paying for "a 35,000-seat stadium for the Aztecs .... includes an expanded campus focused on research and technology, a river park with 90 acres of open space and additional residential and commercial aspects" on the site.

51 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Nobody said the voters were paying for it... they're using taxable revenue bonds to pay for it... and the state will still end up paying significant money.  It's how it works out here. 

I didn't say that anybody said that, but I did wonder with the way it was worded, which is why I said it was interesting. When you're talking about voters voting for something about a stadium it's kind of natural to assume they'd be on the hook for something .... and in this case it's almost  just the opposite.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

When we were in the BEAST and had crowds I think there was an argument to be made. Now we seem to be hemorrhaging funds, we do not have a huge demand, we do not have a ton of donors and it seems like people want to dream that an OCS would be a silver bullet that could magically heal what ails us but that seems like an expensive unforced error when there isn't really anything forcing our hand to make a move. I am hardly risk adverse but this seems to be risk seeking with little reason to believe it will benefit us more than it will hurt us other than hopes and dreams. If someone wants to spend a quarter of a billion dollars on something that it would be 25 years of their entire yearly budget to build when its already losing millions of dollars a year they better have some cold hard proof that this investment will right the ship but it seems more built on memories that "you cant put a price on"  I however can put a price on memories and it is way less than hundreds of millions of dollars. 

If we are looking at 250 mil, we are doing it wrong, we can agree on that.  That dollar amount can be way, way lower.  

Just now, ArmyBull said:

If we are looking at 250 mil, we are doing it wrong, we can agree on that.  That dollar amount can be way, way lower.  

There is no chance by the time it is built we could build something most people would be willing to step into for less than $200 million.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

59 minutes ago, Basketball Jones said:

This guy...

That ****weed was my first exposure to assklown fans when I first entered the world of message boards on ESPN's old site ..... and he hasn't changed a bit.

Everything turned for the Kanigits when a lying, 2 time BCS conference COY and national COY winner fell into their ******* laps. IF we are indeed "floundering", it's got nothing to do with not having an ocs and everything to do with adjusting to being kicked away from the big boys' table.

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

There is no chance by the time it is built we could build something most people would be willing to step into for less than $200 million.

This is assuming we have to buy land to build the structure and parking. If we can actually jam it onto campus maybe it can be done okay at $125. Yes I know that forever ago UCF built a stadium on campus on land that they had for less than $100 which has needed updating immediately and  still wouldn't be satisfactory to most and would be entirely too small to bring in crowds if they were to move to a real conference.