• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would The Jim Drop in on the Spring Game?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

This will be fun:

- Had great fan interactions at outside events (several people have shared personal stories)  - so did Skip Holtz

- Did not treat this job as a stepping stone (wanted to retire here, even passed on Alabama job when opportunity arose) - so did Skip Holtz

- Showed real passion and enthusiasm that resonated with people because it showed how much he cared (ie headbutting players with helmets on and getting bloodied up to motivate the team)  - Skip not so much with the players

- Had high profile upsets (Louisville, Auburn, WVU, FSU...) - so did Skip Holtz (ND, Clemson)

-Undefeated against Georgey Porgey and the knights (we talking Scarlet Knights?)

- And yes, the 'golden oldie' for us Leavitt fans, led the program to a #2 ranking in just a decade after starting with nothing.  Getting national exposure was huge, but unfortunately it just couldn't be sustained 

Again, I kid.  CJLs record was much better.

What’s funny is, xCWT checks less of those boxes than xCSH. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

This will be fun:

- Had great fan interactions at outside events (several people have shared personal stories)  - so did Skip Holtz

- Did not treat this job as a stepping stone (wanted to retire here, even passed on Alabama job when opportunity arose) - so did Skip Holtz

- Showed real passion and enthusiasm that resonated with people because it showed how much he cared (ie headbutting players with helmets on and getting bloodied up to motivate the team)  - Skip not so much with the players

- Had high profile upsets (Louisville, Auburn, WVU, FSU...) - so did Skip Holtz (ND, Clemson)

-Undefeated against Georgey Porgey and the knights (we talking Scarlet Knights?)

- And yes, the 'golden oldie' for us Leavitt fans, led the program to a #2 ranking in just a decade after starting with nothing.  Getting national exposure was huge, but unfortunately it just couldn't be sustained 

Again, I kid.  CJLs record was much better.

That good sir was well played 😀

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

What’s funny is, xCWT checks less of those boxes than xCSH. 

137834E4-A535-4486-85CF-A87204E7E494.gif

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am not going to give him the crown and call him a god.  

You know what, you're right.  I may have taken it a bit too far when I started the church of Leavitt. 

*Attention everyone* I am hereby closing the church.  We not longer need to pray to Leavitt.  You may once again use the words Rutgers, choke and slap as they are not forbidden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

You know what, you're right.  I may have taken it a bit too far when I started the church of Leavitt. 

*Attention everyone* I am hereby closing the church.  We not longer need to pray to Leavitt.  You may once again use the words Rutgers, choke and slap as they are not forbidden.

The CJL congregation will be saddened by your exit... 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But look what Fernandez did with a depleated roster this year...he won games and took his team to the NIT. I know it’s not apples to apples but if CJL had that same level of depleation would he have won games? Maybe, maybe not but it is a discussion...with Fernandez there is no discussion. 

Last I do respect the fact that many people love CJL...and so do I. What he did to start the program and get us big times wins is undeniable. As I mentioned on a previous post he was always kind and talked to me and my kids when available. But my point is that I cannot give him a Sainthood or knight him as he did not do that last thing that needed to be done. 

And I would argue that his time here was wrongly cut short, or he most likely would have accomplished that last feat. What I think those that are nostalgic about the program is the sense of family and community that we felt as Bull football fans with CJL at the helm. Since then, the program feels way more corporate and way less "approachable". The excitement and fun are kind of gone since he left. I would have taken consistent 9-3 or 8-4 seasons with a sense of family and continuity with a coach that LOVED being here rather than an occasional splash with a coach that is looking for a way out. 

25 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

And I would argue that his time here was wrongly cut short, or he most likely would have accomplished that last feat. What I think those that are nostalgic about the program is the sense of family and community that we felt as Bull football fans with CJL at the helm. Since then, the program feels way more corporate and way less "approachable". The excitement and fun are kind of gone since he left. I would have taken consistent 9-3 or 8-4 seasons with a sense of family and continuity with a coach that LOVED being here rather than an occasional splash with a coach that is looking for a way out. 

Fair Points all around

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am only looking at the facts of the situation.

I think you might have hit on something.  You are asking for measurable metrics and others seem to be offering context.  You reject or devalue the context.  I think we are caught in a loop

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,512
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, puc86 said:

We killed the golden goose

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of that phrase but I saw NEB already addressed it .... I think founding father would be the better fit.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,512
  • Days Won:  422

51 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

The excitement and fun are kind of gone since he left. I would have taken consistent 9-3 or 8-4 seasons with a sense of family and continuity with a coach that LOVED being here rather than an occasional splash with a coach that is looking for a way out. 

But for those that feel that way, how much of it is because we're now regularly playing Tulane, Tulsa and SMU rather than West Virginia, Louisville and Pitt .... and the highest realistic goal we can look forward to is a mythical national championship?