• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would The Jim Drop in on the Spring Game?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of that phrase but I saw NEB already addressed it .... I think founding father would be the better fit.

It’s not folklore where there was a goose that laid a golden egg everyday but the owner got greedy and wanted all the gold at once, so he killed the goose (wrongly thinking he could get all the gold it wasn’t giving him at the rate he desired) resulting in no more gold? He was our founding father for sure and maybe that’s a better way to describe it but I certainly think there are unmistakable parallels to what CJL was producing, the desire for more, the belief he was holding us back from it, the killing of him to get to the gold faster and the end result of less gold than he was producing prior to the murder.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

hear, hear

Edited by Grateful Dad

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

That's a bridge too far for me. I don't know how conference realignment would have been effected by CJL being here. Maybe we make it to the BCS Championship with him at the helm in 2010 and history changes, but there is no way to know for sure. 

I maybe suggest with stability and less black eyes maybe we have a marginally better shot at not being one of three teams left behind also that UCF is probably less likely to be part of our conference which is probably the thing I hate most about the AAC. CJL had no desire to yoke ourselves to a crap team we had left for dead and bringing them back to life was probably the biggest mistake we have made in our athletic history. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

But for those that feel that way, how much of it is because we're now regularly playing Tulane, Tulsa and SMU rather than West Virginia, Louisville and Pitt .... and the highest realistic goal we can look forward to is a mythical national championship?

We could win the championship of this crappy conference year in and year out and no one would notice.  Beat the big boys and you get their attention.  Getting stuck in this conference is like we've been told to sit with the others on the couch.

Animal-House-1978-00-03-43.jpg

Edited by Grateful Dad

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

12 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

We could win the championship of this crappy conference year in and year out and no one would notice.  Beat the big boys and you get their attention.  Getting stuck in this conference is like we've been told to sit with the others on the couch.

Animal-House-1978-00-03-43.jpg

Imagine how bad it would be if we couldn’t even win this crappy conference we’re stuck in.

It probably should mean more to me, but I'm looking at this conference. Granted, we haven't won the conference.  But to me?  Big whoop. I'm one of those that won't buy a lotto ticket until it is some ungodly amount.  I'm looking to play in the big leagues.

I want USF to win every game, but I probably will be more excited to beat Wisconsin and GT than if we win the conference.  And, I always get excited to beat UCiF.  So, I watch to see my team do well against anyone, but, no.  Beating SMU or Tulsa or Gaither high school doesn't do it for me.

7 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Imagine how bad it would be if we couldn’t even win this crappy conference we’re stuck in.

Imagine how much worse it would be to drown 101 ft deep instead of 100 ft or to burn up in at 451 degrees instead of 450 degrees.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

16 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It’s not folklore where there was a goose that laid a golden egg everyday but the owner got greedy and wanted all the gold at once, so he killed the goose (wrongly thinking he could get all the gold it wasn’t giving him at the rate he desired) resulting in no more gold? He was our founding father for sure and maybe that’s a better way to describe it but I certainly think there are unmistakable parallels to what CJL was producing, the desire for more, the belief he was holding us back from it, the killing of him to get to the gold faster and the end result of less gold than he was producing prior to the murder.

I do see where you're coming from now but still doesn't work for me. I assume that you're definition of "gold" in this scenario is 8-9 win seasons, with some nice ooc wins thrown in, which is fine. The goose killers obviously didn't agree with that as being "gold" and offed him in the hope of acquiring a real golden goose.

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I do see where you're coming from now but still doesn't work for me. I assume that you're definition of "gold" in this scenario is 8-9 win seasons, with some nice ooc wins thrown in, which is fine. The goose killers obviously didn't agree with that as being "gold" and offed him in the hope of acquiring a real golden goose.

Did that result in any more gold either quantitatively or qualitatively?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Imagine how much worse it would be to drown 101 ft deep instead of 100 ft or to burn up in at 451 degrees instead of 450 degrees.

So you’re saying it doesn’t really matter what conference we’re in because the results are still the same?