• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would The Jim Drop in on the Spring Game?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

28 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Funny you mention that.  I've been a SF Giant all my life. They won the World Series the year before I was born.  Then had to wait until, what was it, 2010 to finally see it in my lifetime. I was euphoric and actually cried because my dad was gone and he would have loved to have seen it.  

But that feeling lasted a couple of days and life went on.  

So waiting a decade to with the AAC, for a team your dad may have been dead before it was founded, should probably bring at least seconds of enjoyment for everyone.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

But for those that feel that way, how much of it is because we're now regularly playing Tulane, Tulsa and SMU rather than West Virginia, Louisville and Pitt .... and the highest realistic goal we can look forward to is a mythical national championship?

I can't quite answer what percentage of the excitement and fun was directly because of the opponent. I think there was an element of the excitement that surrounded playing WVU and Louisville. Can't say the same for Pitt and Syracuse. We had post Big East games against Syracuse and they didn't move the needle for me substantially. That might also be due to the state of the program by the time we played them again. To me, those teams are pretty interchangeable with SMU and Tulsa. 

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

I maybe suggest with stability and less black eyes maybe we have a marginally better shot at not being one of three teams left behind also that UCF is probably less likely to be part of our conference which is probably the thing I hate most about the AAC. CJL had no desire to yoke ourselves to a crap team we had left for dead and bringing them back to life was probably the biggest mistake we have made in our athletic history. 

I will agree with you 100% that UCF was the biggest winner in the aftermath of the CJL debacle. 

• Me no likey 1

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

It had gotten progressively more so with each hire.  Skip was very approachable,  Willie a bit less so and CCS even less.

Finally, something we can agree on! I like CSH the person. He just didn't fit well here, especially as a followup to CJL. CWT always came across like a car salesman and always felt like a rental,  and CCS has the energy of Ben Stein. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Ow that hurts.

I did enjoy watching the impressive program we had and I still enjoying discussing it. 

You enjoy whatever it is that you do - your championship chases, I suppose.  And when USF wins that conference championship, I hope it meets all your needs.

When we win the conference it will be orgasmic!!!!  Which is a good thing as I will probably be drinking from a straw at that point. 😂

its funny how all those years ago about 75% of the people who were on this board ( many who have left) were in support of getting rid CJL. The belief was that he could not take us any further. About 99% on the board were happy that Skippy was hired. Not that our program is at the kids table and we struggle there, I can see where the  revisionist history comes into play.  We long for the old days and CJL was a part of that. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Would you rather be the fourth highest paid person in the NFL or the top paid person in the XFL? Is winning the championship in the AHL better than coming in fourth in the NHL? Does anyone honestly believe winning the CBI was better than losing to Duke by 1 in the NCAA? Winning isn’t everything and existing in a vacuum of good, the factors that surround the victory or the loss play as big of a role as the result. 

That’s total BS..there is no going back to 2007. To say you are happy with living with something that was mediocre over a decade ago would be just pathetic. If that’s the case why come on the board  at all during the football season? 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

When we win the conference it will be orgasmic!!!!  Which is a good thing as I will probably be drinking from a straw at that point. 😂

its funny how all those years ago about 75% of the people who were on this board ( many who have left) were in support of getting rid CJL. The belief was that he could not take us any further. About 99% on the board were happy that Skippy was hired. Not that our program is at the kids table and we struggle there, I can see where the  revisionist history comes into play.  We long for the old days and CJL was a part of that. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was NEVER OK with the way the CJL situation went down. I wasn't calling for his head. I had a post on here picking apart the "report" and showing what a farce it was. I was thrilled for CJL when the University agreed to pony up the $2.5 million or so for wronging him. 

As for CSH, he seemed like a decent hire at the time. In hindsight, he wasn't a good fit to follow CJL because of the disparate coaching styles and personalities. He could never win over CJL's players. 

I will agree with you, I do long for the good old days. I just wish we could realize that we are in the good old days before they are over. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

40 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Finally, something we can agree on! I like CSH the person. He just didn't fit well here, especially as a followup to CJL. CWT always came across like a car salesman and always felt like a rental,  and CCS has the energy of Ben Stein. 

We agree on many things.  But I will argue the other side. Good practice if I want to become a lawyer.  😀

20 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was NEVER OK with the way the CJL situation went down. I wasn't calling for his head. I had a post on here picking apart the "report" and showing what a farce it was. I was thrilled for CJL when the University agreed to pony up the $2.5 million or so for wronging him. 

As for CSH, he seemed like a decent hire at the time. In hindsight, he wasn't a good fit to follow CJL because of the disparate coaching styles and personalities. He could never win over CJL's players. 

I will agree with you, I do long for the good old days. I just wish we could realize that we are in the good old days before they are over. 

That was probably by design, no?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,338
  • Days Won:  10

24 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I have been trying to keep in mind that this is essentially correct.  I remember thinking, "I love the guy but he really isn't an X's and O's coach".  We had some doozy OC's also.  But he was a builder.  He built not only the program, but had an uncanny talent for taking low star players and developing them to stars.  Your last sentence pretty well summed it up.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

So waiting a decade to with the AAC, for a team your dad may have been dead before it was founded, should probably bring at least seconds of enjoyment for everyone.

Pretty much.  Or maybe until the Spring Game the following year but I doubt it.  Within hours (maybe a day) people would start wondering if we could repeat.