• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transferring players

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

I wanted CO to succeed here because of the local angle and the good story it would have been ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Sorry for changing the subject, but I thought this same thing regarding the excitement around the Kerwin Bell hire. Were there any other FBS teams interested in him? Seemed most were down on Charlie and his staff, now Kerwin arrives and we have donors throwing money into our IPF simply because Kerwin graced us with his presence. You'd think we just landed Dabo Swinney. I guess some of that excitement is just having someone other than Gilbert running the offense

There may have been...to postulate that this was not the case is nothing more than negative speculation. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

There may have been...to postulate that this was not the case is nothing more than negative speculation. 

I asked because I have no idea. I didn't even know he was coaching until about a month ago, and I'm not trying to be negative. I have no idea what his offense will look like here. Might be great, might look like Gilbert's. Just not sure why this is a home-run hire when I hadn't even heard his name since around the time of the nut spike.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

13 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Just not sure why this is a home-run hire when I hadn't even heard his name since around the time of the nut spike.

Some is probably eternal optimism. Some is the hope for Fun and Gun 2.0.  Some is the numbers he put up in his other stops.  Some is he's not Gilbert.  Some is the hope that CCS is going to let the offense be opened up.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

28 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Some is probably eternal optimism. Some is the hope for Fun and Gun 2.0.  Some is the numbers he put up in his other stops.  Some is he's not Gilbert.  Some is the hope that CCS is going to let the offense be opened up.

Don't worry, if the first play isn't a double reverse for a TD the chants of "Fire Ker-Win"  will be heard throughout the 11K fans in attendance.

• Haha 2
  • ???? 2

42 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

I asked because I have no idea. I didn't even know he was coaching until about a month ago, and I'm not trying to be negative. I have no idea what his offense will look like here. Might be great, might look like Gilbert's. Just not sure why this is a home-run hire when I hadn't even heard his name since around the time of the nut spike.

Ok. However, as a CFB nut I can tell you that Bell is a well known commodity in term of success. I remember seeing a number of television and media reports when he was in Jacksonville and certainly last year at Valdosta. I also remember someone on this board suggesting he be interviewed when Willie left. Now, was he getting a look from other schools? I have no idea but would be shocked if that was not the case. The difference for USF is that the assistant’s salary went up well this year and it could have been a $ issue in terms of him taking this job over another.

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

the thing about Kerwin is he is innovative. He BUILT the Jacksonville program, from my understanding, from the ground up without scholarship athletes & with minimal support from an AD & university administration that weren't fully committed to the program (sound familiar?). he made VSU a dominant championship team within a relatively short period of time.

from all indications, he's a very good evaluator of talent. this is key not just when it comes to recruiting talented athletes, but in identifying their strengths & putting them in a position to succeed.

he also has history with Charlie, who was a grad assistant at UF when Kerwin walked on & put the Gators on the path to being a successful program. this is relevant because that connection to CCS may be key in giving Strong the confidence to loosen the reins & let Bell run the offense with minimal restrictions. this has been part of the biggest speculations about Strong's relationship with his assistants: how much autonomy does he give them? how much of last season was Gilbert sucking ass & how much was Strong being tightfisted & limiting his coordinators? we'll find out with Bell.

finally, there is a very reasonable possibility that Bell's connection to UF along with all the other UF-USF interaction recently (hey, did u hear our starting running back transferred from UF??) may prove beneficial to USF.

if we're going to cast doubt on Bell, or any other offensive coordinator, simply because he has the HB Dive in his playbook, then there are literally no adequate OC's out there because EVERY coach has that play in the playbook.

Bell may not be a "home run" hire in terms of national perception, but relative to the situation at USF he makes a whole lot of sense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

5 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

Don't worry, if the first play isn't a double reverse for a TD the chants of "Fire Ker-Win"  will be heard throughout the 11K fans in attendance.

There will be more than 11k Wisc fans there.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

27 minutes ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

the thing about Kerwin is he is innovative. He BUILT the Jacksonville program, from my understanding, from the ground up without scholarship athletes & with minimal support from an AD & university administration that weren't fully committed to the program (sound familiar?). he made VSU a dominant championship team within a relatively short period of time.

from all indications, he's a very good evaluator of talent. this is key not just when it comes to recruiting talented athletes, but in identifying their strengths & putting them in a position to succeed.

he also has history with Charlie, who was a grad assistant at UF when Kerwin walked on & put the Gators on the path to being a successful program. this is relevant because that connection to CCS may be key in giving Strong the confidence to loosen the reins & let Bell run the offense with minimal restrictions. this has been part of the biggest speculations about Strong's relationship with his assistants: how much autonomy does he give them? how much of last season was Gilbert sucking ass & how much was Strong being tightfisted & limiting his coordinators? we'll find out with Bell.

finally, there is a very reasonable possibility that Bell's connection to UF along with all the other UF-USF interaction recently (hey, did u hear our starting running back transferred from UF??) may prove beneficial to USF.

if we're going to cast doubt on Bell, or any other offensive coordinator, simply because he has the HB Dive in his playbook, then there are literally no adequate OC's out there because EVERY coach has that play in the playbook.

Bell may not be a "home run" hire in terms of national perception, but relative to the situation at USF he makes a whole lot of sense.

So far, I'm optimistic about Bell, but not because he made VSU into a dominant championship team in a short amount of time. The guy before Bell won two national titles in 7 years and the guy before that won one and had a .864 winning percentage in 7 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdosta_State_Blazers_football

Edited by JTrue
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

I’ll be willing to bet that the first game will have 40k actual attendance.