• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

“Big Changes are Coming” Watch

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

Yea, I was 100% in agreement with Grateful Dad until he decided it best to put himself above others. I personally know some extremely well educated people that don't express themselves well at all.

I swear a lot, does that count?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

Some observations from watching CCS speak:

1. I have heard comments from CCS (and, I think, perhaps others) about the administration's lack of support for the program financially.  No doubt coming from Tx would seem like you left Disney and arrived in Weeki Wachee.  He may have a point.  I'm not an expert in Head coaches, but one who feels frustrated and unsupported and being blamed for failure while not being afforded the facilities and other support needed for success might lead to my second point
  2. CCS looks extremely uncomfortable speaking in public.  It could be his personality, but having been involved in storied programs for a few years would seem to have eased him into public speaking.  What I see when coach speaks is someone who would rather pee on a spark plug than raise his head and look his audience in the eyes and actually speak to them.  I was a trades person for years and I know that some jobs are just nightmares.  No matter what you do, the job goes south real quick and usually in front of the homeowner.  Sometimes, you just wish you were out of this dreadful situation and anywhere else.  I recognize that look and I see it on coach whenever he speaks.  He is uncomfortable and dreads the chore of speaking to the public.
  3. Coach seems to blame a whole lot of others for poor performance.  But what if he has been saying (or not saying) is the truth?  Yes, he is top dog and it is his responsibility, but it takes time to weed out each barrier to success.  Condemnation is a much quicker process than identification and remediation of problems.  It would take you time to individually address and fix the problems.  I'm not excusing, just trying to be reasonable by putting myself in coach's shoes.
  4. If he is clearing out the team of those who refuse to follow rules or maintain academic standards, then more power to him.  My diploma from a Preeminent School means more than an AAC championship.  Building it right takes time.  Let's see if who we have been castigating on this board is actually doing what we want him to do.  Just not in our time.
  5. He might have more class than to publicly identify a player, assistant coach, or administrator who is not 100% behind his vision of the team.  He might not want to hurt their career by calling them out publicly, but would rather work in the shadows to remove them and possibly effect a soft landing for them.  Certainly not an approach embraced by many posters here...

I realize most of my posts are long, but I believe that my USF education has afforded me the ability to express myself much more adequately than the usual F__ CCS neanderthal grunts that some find intellectually stimulating.

Except he was handed a 10 win team, and now everything that contributed to that has been uprooted.

6 straight losses is inexcusable. The team got worse each week. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,334
  • Days Won:  10

That was not my intent, but I welcome the criticism.  Never to late to learn.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Any chance Roberts is leaving...addition by subtraction 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

Some observations from watching CCS speak:

1. I have heard comments from CCS (and, I think, perhaps others) about the administration's lack of support for the program financially.  No doubt coming from Tx would seem like you left Disney and arrived in Weeki Wachee.  He may have a point.  I'm not an expert in Head coaches, but one who feels frustrated and unsupported and being blamed for failure while not being afforded the facilities and other support needed for success might lead to my second point
  2. CCS looks extremely uncomfortable speaking in public.  It could be his personality, but having been involved in storied programs for a few years would seem to have eased him into public speaking.  What I see when coach speaks is someone who would rather pee on a spark plug than raise his head and look his audience in the eyes and actually speak to them.  I was a trades person for years and I know that some jobs are just nightmares.  No matter what you do, the job goes south real quick and usually in front of the homeowner.  Sometimes, you just wish you were out of this dreadful situation and anywhere else.  I recognize that look and I see it on coach whenever he speaks.  He is uncomfortable and dreads the chore of speaking to the public.
  3. Coach seems to blame a whole lot of others for poor performance.  But what if he has been saying (or not saying) is the truth?  Yes, he is top dog and it is his responsibility, but it takes time to weed out each barrier to success.  Condemnation is a much quicker process than identification and remediation of problems.  It would take you time to individually address and fix the problems.  I'm not excusing, just trying to be reasonable by putting myself in coach's shoes.
  4. If he is clearing out the team of those who refuse to follow rules or maintain academic standards, then more power to him.  My diploma from a Preeminent School means more than an AAC championship.  Building it right takes time.  Let's see if who we have been castigating on this board is actually doing what we want him to do.  Just not in our time.
  5. He might have more class than to publicly identify a player, assistant coach, or administrator who is not 100% behind his vision of the team.  He might not want to hurt their career by calling them out publicly, but would rather work in the shadows to remove them and possibly effect a soft landing for them.  Certainly not an approach embraced by many posters here...

I realize most of my posts are long, but I believe that my USF education has afforded me the ability to express myself much more adequately than the usual F__ CCS neanderthal grunts that some find intellectually stimulating.

If I recall correctly, he made a statement about being well behind UCF in his post game comments following that game. They have invested in IPF, on campus stadium and even brought in successful, proven assistant coaches. Woul be interesting to see what their assistant pool is budgeted for.

One of my closest friends is a Louisville grad. We were discussing Strong last night. He said he did the same thing at Louisville.  Then same thing at Texas. 

At Louisville he took over the Kragthorpe mess so anything he did there was positive.  Cleaned up some bad apples at Texas, but just had some middling success on the field.

The situation here is a little different. He is in the process of dismantling and rebuilding a program coming off the best run in school history.  One with a fragile fan base that was just starting to see an uptick in attendance.

It worked at Louisville because they pretty strong community support plus a big time AD.  Even though there was a drop during the Kragthorpe era, excitement for football in the community was still strong from what was built in Petrino’s first go around. At Texas, the support there is a given.

The situation here is a little different.  He is working with a first time AD, a very fickle and fragile fan base that currently has minimal community support from the general area population.  He is now in a position, along with Kelly, where they now have to builders of the program rather than Strong reaping the benefits of what was previously in place.

I will go back to the reference I have been using lately. What Strong is doing is very similar to what McCullum did in basketball.  Under Greenburg basketball was arguably at its’ height in popularity. McCullum (had the chance to have lunch with him several times, very nice man) came in, “cleaned” up the program, put a boring, atrocious brand of BB on the court and set the program back 6 to 8 years.  Perhaps to the point where we are still recovering attendance wise.

We are at a tenuous juncture with fooball right now. We need to get it right a couple of years before the next round of realignment comes around.  I hope Strong and, more importantly, Kelly are up for the job.

3 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

If I recall correctly, he made a statement about being well behind UCF in his post game comments following that game. They have invested in IPF, on campus stadium and even brought in successful, proven assistant coaches. Woul be interesting to see what their assistant pool is budgeted for.

One of my closest friends is a Louisville grad. We were discussing Strong last night. He said he did the same thing at Louisville.  Then same thing at Texas. 

At Louisville he took over the Kragthorpe mess so anything he did there was positive.  Cleaned up some bad apples at Texas, but just had some middling success on the field.

The situation here is a little different. He is in the process of dismantling and rebuilding a program coming off the best run in school history.  One with a fragile fan base that was just starting to see an uptick in attendance.

It worked at Louisville because they pretty strong community support plus a big time AD.  Even though there was a drop during the Kragthorpe era, excitement for football in the community was still strong from what was built in Petrino’s first go around. At Texas, the support there is a given.

The situation here is a little different.  He is working with a first time AD, a very fickle and fragile fan base that currently has minimal community support from the general area population.  He is now in a position, along with Kelly, where they now have to builders of the program rather than Strong reaping the benefits of what was previously in place.

I will go back to the reference I have been using lately. What Strong is doing is very similar to what McCullum did in basketball.  Under Greenburg basketball was arguably at its’ height in popularity. McCullum (had the chance to have lunch with him several times, very nice man) came in, “cleaned” up the program, put a boring, atrocious brand of BB on the court and set the program back 6 to 8 years.  Perhaps to the point where we are still recovering attendance wise.

We are at a tenuous juncture with fooball right now. We need to get it right a couple of years before the next round of realignment comes around.  I hope Strong and, more importantly, Kelly are up for the job.

I would not worry about realignment (at least not from a P5 perspective) as once we go to eight teams in a playoff the music stops. If changes are made it needs to be done relative to conference championships.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Any chance Roberts is leaving...addition by subtraction 

yeah because a redshirt freshman has never been known to improve.....

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

8 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

The fact remains, he called this before anyone at TBT because nobody at TBT has any connections and/or don't actually care about the program.

TDS is one of the best sources of data and analysis in the USF verse.

TDS has its place. Sometimes there is value in there. Sometimes it is just a lot of opinion. 

The problem with TDS is Colin is incredibly obnoxious. He is a blowhard and borderline narcissistic.

USF fans basically have 3 sources for USF news. 

The Tampa Bay Times. Which sometimes feels like it is going through the motions but at least you can feel confidant if something is reported then it has been well sourced and is probably accurate. 

TBP provides a lot of good information and doesn't portend to be anything other than a message board. Brad doesn't dominate the discussion, generally people can share whatever they like. Mostly for entertainment like hearing what Smazza or Puc have come up with but sometimes there is new info in here. 

TDS is a nerdboy site. You get some info and a LOT of narrative and opinion force fed to you. It feels like incessant whining and complaining.  I am glad it exists but I can only handle so much of it. I actually feel sorry for those guys when I hear the amount of energy, time and negative emotions that they put into this for little return. They don't know it but their obsession with USF and a game is kind of ruining their lives. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

yeah because a redshirt freshman has never been known to improve.....

Not that one...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

There is just no way that in their heart of hearts anyone honestly believes that someone saying “some unknown thing will happen at some unknown times in the future” is an actual prediction of something specific happening at a specific time. I guess this is how prophecies, fortune telling and horoscopes have existed for so long but but vaguely alluding to non specified actions at unspecified times isn’t predicting it’s just allowing the mark to wrongly associate what naturally happens in life to open ended statements that were intentionally not specific.