• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Holtz 2.0

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  0

Re the recruiting aspect - I think we all agree that it's too early to judge the quality of players on his first 1.5 recruiting classes. On PAPER however, bang average recruiting. I for one am disappointed here - thought coming off the success we had under Taggart, exciting offense etc we could have convinced a couple of 4 stars to stay home. I remember when Strong was hired, the prevailing thought was "don't let Coach Strong on your couch"... IE great recruiter.

Game management - we have looked listless, lost and baffled for LONG stretches of this season. Offensively we do not play to our strengths, trying to cultivate a gameplan that appears to bank on the offensive line being at least decent enough to provide a few seconds of protection, which it can't and hasn't been able to ALL season. Defensively, I echo the other comments here about Strong being a defensive coach, we looked completely over our heads in the Houston game (I mean balls flying over our heads) which to me is totally perplexing.

I see shades of Holtz here, even in 2012 though we didn't get embarrassed defensively like we just did.... VS HOUSTON AND TULANE.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,549
  • Days Won:  28

7 hours ago, LewSFBulls said:

Re the recruiting aspect - I think we all agree that it's too early to judge the quality of players on his first 1.5 recruiting classes. On PAPER however, bang average recruiting. I for one am disappointed here - thought coming off the success we had under Taggart, exciting offense etc we could have convinced a couple of 4 stars to stay home. I remember when Strong was hired, the prevailing thought was "don't let Coach Strong on your couch"... IE great recruiter.

Game management - we have looked listless, lost and baffled for LONG stretches of this season. Offensively we do not play to our strengths, trying to cultivate a gameplan that appears to bank on the offensive line being at least decent enough to provide a few seconds of protection, which it can't and hasn't been able to ALL season. Defensively, I echo the other comments here about Strong being a defensive coach, we looked completely over our heads in the Houston game (I mean balls flying over our heads) which to me is totally perplexing.

I see shades of Holtz here, even in 2012 though we didn't get embarrassed defensively like we just did.... VS HOUSTON AND TULANE.

We currently have the #2 recruiting class in the AAC for 2019... .just saying

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

We currently have the #2 recruiting class in the AAC for 2019... .just saying

I’m currently taking a #2. Coincidence?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don’t have a problem with the recruiting. 

I just think the game-planning/game prep, play calling and game management is absolutely terrible. 

Do these guys pay any attention to detail? I could be wrong on this one because I was listening to the game in the car, there was a crucial 3rd and 4, I believe in the 3rd quarter.  The coaches decided to hand off to Sands? He hasn’t touched the ball since game 1 and you bring him in cold?  If it was the end of the game I understand, but it was early enough they were still trying to come back  

Against UMASS they got screwed out of an extra down and didn’t argue about it.  The announcers and fans picked up on it.

Strong uses his timeouts about as often as Skip did.

It is beyond me how after 9 games in year two our special teams are still a mess  how many blocked place kicks? Same mess as last year.

How many penalties at crucial times?  If they were penalties of agression, perhaps the could be explained, but most are unforced or concentration issues  the ones on offense are coming from the vets not the freshmen.  Tells me they are not learning football.

One observation, under Taggarts last year and a half the team was playing loose and having fun. Even during wins they never look like they are having fun.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

10 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

We have two  freshmen starting starting on the offensive line at one point had three, we are so bare at LB that we moved a DE there and started a true freshmen beside him today after the safety we moved there didn’t play, keep in mind we only two LB as is. We started two freshmen and a sophomore in the defensive backfield today and at least three freshmen or sophomores rotating in at DL. At Running back we are playing a transfer and a true freshmen. taggs left us WR’s. That’s about it. 

Most of the freshmen DB's playing are CWT kids (Sanders Robert's Lapointe) 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

No way CCS is CSH 2.0. Honestly I feel like year 2 is really like Strong's year 1. It would have been hard to screw up last year's team, but I do wish CCS would have taken the same road as Heupel did with the gnats--just run with the thing that works well while you slowly install your new stuff.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

14 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Okay let's humor this theory.  Let's get an in depth comparison on Holtz on Game 9? Of year 2.

I'm not being snarky.  I don't remember too much USF football except the Notre Dame game and the Birmingham Bowl against USC. 

A 37 - 17 win at Syracuse.

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I’m currently taking a #2. Coincidence?

You never fail to disappoint. 

12 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

To be fair, Leavitt figured out what this program needed to be immediately. The latter half has deviated from the plan

In Taggarts case figured it out just in time.

He was also getting our APR down to levels that were looking at loss of scholarships.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

What’s up bitches...

FCF7D0F8-C8D1-41F7-B303-8E5016A8B3A3.jpeg