• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Holtz 2.0

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Seriously? Just because there hasn't been a flashy player doesn't mean they aren't solid classes. How about we let them be older than Sophomores before we say his recruits aren't good because on paper, they are. 

I said his classes aren’t all that great...Sure, they are solid, but they are far from great. His defencicies as a HC outweigh his recruiting ability tenfold 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Just now, IBulleve said:

I said his classes aren’t all that great...Sure, they are solid, but they are far from great. His defencicies as a HC outweigh his recruiting ability tenfold 

ok, so how many "great" classes do G5 teams get? 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,019
  • Days Won:  38

2 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

But to compare to Skip Holtz (the premise of this thread), one has to erode the talent completely, save all timeouts, lose at home to a barely scoring Miami, and also be bad.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

And it all reality, he has only had one class that is completely his. You have no idea how good they are 

2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

And it all reality, he has only had one class that is completely his. You have no idea how good they are 

That's kinda what I am getting at.  I am surprised by the defense, but consider how bad they were before when QF, Mack, and the gang had to outscore everyone.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If we're complaining about recruiting, we really only have 1 year to get excited about. xCJL had that top 25 class once. Other than that, we're pretty solidly right in the middle of the pack, give or take. All of our coaches have recruited about equally for what they were trying to do. xCWT had a ton of holes when he got here and it showed. But let's not go thinking xCWT left a stocked cupboard when he left or we wouldn't have freshman on the lines. A transfer QB. No depth at LB. Etc. 

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

ok, so how many "great" classes do G5 teams get? 

It’s all relative of course. My point was simply that his reputation for recruiting shouldn’t be a reason for keeping him as a HC given his obvious flaws. It’s not like he walked in and brought in the number 1 class in the G5

6 minutes ago, JTrue said:

If we're complaining about recruiting, we really only have 1 year to get excited about. xCJL had that top 25 class once. Other than that, we're pretty solidly right in the middle of the pack, give or take. All of our coaches have recruited about equally for what they were trying to do. xCWT had a ton of holes when he got here and it showed. But let's not go thinking xCWT left a stocked cupboard when he left or we wouldn't have freshman on the lines. A transfer QB. No depth at LB. Etc. 

So can the court call the Skip Holtz comparison closed at this point?  Verdict: Not Skip Holtz.  Timeouts be on notice.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

So can the court call the Skip Holtz comparison closed at this point?  Verdict: Not Skip Holtz.  Timeouts be on notice.

There is a long list of things you can ***** about when it comes to Holtz, recruiting isn't one of them.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

True but how could we possibly know the recruiting is panning out or not by now? Seems a bit early.  

I agree it is early and like said I think Strong should have another year and then we could tell how his players are developing.

What concerns me most is that the players we are playing now aren't looking better than after game 1 the sloppy play and team looking like they don't seem to give a crap on the field.

Well Ford was looking better till today.  I get it we have many injuries and depth issues that doesn't help. But Blake looks worse today than compared to the first few games.

Edited by Bulls On Parade