• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Um.... Run Defense anyone...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Our defense is suspect 

Epidatsit 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

43 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I looked at depth chart for last year and avg weight was 271 lbs...lost weight in middle some but DE are bigger. Our second string DT Barber  is 260lbs but a freshman.

Our first stringers did pretty good after first drive in first half. That was a vanilla defense we ran also.

2018 Front Four:

DE #4  Reaves 6'2" 248 lbs, RS JR

DT #90 Kegler 6'2" 284 lbs, SO

DT #99 Bronson 6'4" 282 lbs, RS SR

DE #94 Livingstone 6'4" 263 lbs, RS JR

Looking at these guys out on the field yesterday I would guess they have trimmed up and are lighter than those listed weights. I am particularly worried about our ability to put pressure up the middle i.e. DT.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  472
  • Days Won:  0

There are high school teams with more size on the D line not sure whats been going on in recruiting . I know when the guy across from you weighs 30-40 lbs more than you by the 3rd quarter it starts showing . That's a lot of additional mass leaning on you play after play 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Run D was suspect last night for sure. My hope is that we can neutralize Ga Tech into short yardage situations with our swarming speed. Otherwise, it's going to be a loooooonnnnggg Saturday afternoon with the Jackets.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

9 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Concerned but GT running game is a little different. They will try to go after the edge more than straight downhill. This will be helpful with our speed. We have been prepping for this offense since spring practice so I think the preparation will also be helpful. But even with all that, yes, it is a concern. 

I saw them running inside and outside with ease. That wasn't GTech speed we were watching.

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

Game 1 learnings and experience are invaluable.  We shouldn't be too night because we beat an inferior opponent or too low because of mistakes.

After game 3 if the same issues persist then it's a pattern.  Enjoy the victory.

Go Bulls!

After game 3 if the same issues persist then we're 1-2.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

I'm not worried. I assume this was basic defense and rotating in the 2 and 3 deep later in the game. The full defensive playbook will have more clever pressure and coverage schemes. It's game 1, our opponent scored 14. A shutoutnis great, but lack of a shutout doesn't mean the defense underperformed. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I've been crowing about this since last season ended and it reared it's head a little bit last night. Senat and Hector are both on NFL 53man rosters this morning and guys like that are hard to replace. Also Sawtelle was getting washed away at the POA and the interior of Elons line were getting to the second level way too easily. The DT's need to get it cleaned up because middling DT play and  undersized LBs is a baaaad combination. 

Next week could be ugly. If you can't stop the dive and inside runs option teams will feast on your defense all day long. 

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I saw them running inside and outside with ease. That wasn't GTech speed we were watching.

After game 3 if the same issues persist then we're 1-2.

Agreed but the biggest issue was inside. In terms of outside runs the edge was bad tonight as were the LBs. Both either took wrong angles or were not playing deep enough (LB) and got caught up in the line. Regardless, both of these things happened because the interior was being pushed. Hopefully we can make adjustments.