• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I just have this feeling about this offense....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, usfbullrider said:

I think you guys are putting way too much faith in a guy who didn't watch any film on players he inherited on this team coming from his last job where the whole staff was fired.  Q will be missed even considering his inconsistencies.  Debby Downer but I hope he proves me wrong there is too much talent for our offense to be getting whipped by our D for 2 scrimmages now.

I’m strangely confident in this year but I remember Gilbert specifically saying he hadn’t watched much film on our team at all after he was hired. That always got under my skin, but we also still had a 10 win season so it is what it is. He just seems like he really wants to instill his own offense, which if it works this season go for it. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322

I also don’t remember a scrimmage ever going over well here. It seems like after every scrimmage either defense didn’t do their job or offense made too many mistakes. I don’t look much into scrimmages at all. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I haven't seen anything other than a few camp flashes to give me a significant confidence going into the season. The off-season does strange things to people--always seem to have a few in the "I'm out..." crowd, and many more in the "CFP baby!" crowd. I believe the D will do their jobs for the most part, and I wanna believe in the O, but I guess I'm an honorary Missourian this year--show me.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, Calibull said:

That's my read.  I don't get what everyone is so down about, Strong is challenging his team.  I mean everyone is seems upset or something... or thinks something is wrong with the offense.  It's one scrimmage, in terms of the QB play Strong has likely suspected that Barnett was going to be the guy when he went and recruited him.  People think something is wrong because he's likely winning the job but it's nothing wrong with it... the guy is immensely talented and completely healthy.  You're worried about a guy who won the starting job at Alabama even though he had literal cuts in his intestines.  Arizona was just a fiasco because the entire staff got fired and Herm announced the competition will be for the #2 position.  We literally got lucky this guy made a bad decision in going to ASU because he's one of the best football players we've ever had at our school.  He is our first NFL talent at QB... BJ got drafted but come on...  

Nothing wrong with Kean and O... they're good for what we normally get but Blake Barnett is a completely different animal.  We never get the good toys like this.  We're going to win the conference.  

That’s the Calibull we all know and love! Undefeated champions! 

9 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I also don’t remember a scrimmage ever going over well here. It seems like after every scrimmage either defense didn’t do their job or offense made too many mistakes. I don’t look much into scrimmages at all. 

I mean, yes. A coaching staff is supposed to find the problems and point them out so the players and coaches can fix them. If one unit does a good thing, the staff will get on the opposite unit for allowing it to happen. This happens every year with every program when the team is ready to hit a team in another jersey.  CCS has been focusing on “mental toughness.” Seems like the defense finally found their mental toughness when they’ve been flying around and being vocal during big plays. Barnett led three scoring drives including a dime to Roland. It’s possible Strong is saying the other guys haven’t stepped up even though they’ve been in the system. I’m warming up to BB. Seems like he’s come in with his head down and ready to work. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

On 8/17/2018 at 12:57 PM, Corey lea said:

td's.

I always take anything out of a coaches mouth during camp as meaningful.  Typically, they will say the first few days are great.  Then comes the “the team had no energy” phase.  Don’t be surprised to hear “I am not sure we could win a game if the season started next week” within the next couple of days. 

I think the skill set of the QBs are different this year and I think the offense will be more balanced and better. Meaning we will see more intermediate and short passes along with the runs. Flowers was good at the deep ball, but got better with intermediate throws. However, there were times his innacuracy cost us. 

I look for the passing game to open the run game. Go watch tape of Gilbert’s offense at Texas. That’s wha it is supposed to be. 

My two concerns on offense are the OL and receivers ability to catch the ball consistently. That is an area we have always struggled with. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

I'm not sold on any of our QBs. Either we're loaded at QB or we just have 3 "guys" but not a difference maker. I'm leaning towards 3 guys considering none of them have stepped up and grabbed the job by the throat. If the brought in BB because they weren't happy with the position after the spring, and he hasn't separated himself from Kean and Oladokun and Strong still unhappy after today's scrimmage that doesn't instill confidence.... 

I agree.  The backups did nothing to impress in the spring game and if BB was so much better, he would be named the starter by now.  On the other hand, maybe they are all so good, Charlie can't decide on a starter.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

6 hours ago, bullstampede9922 said:

I agree.  The backups did nothing to impress in the spring game and if BB was so much better, he would be named the starter by now.  On the other hand, maybe they are all so good, Charlie can't decide on a starter.

As long as we don't have another 2013/2014 situation. If one of these guys gets named the team captain, they're doomed... (jk)

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

On 8/17/2018 at 12:57 PM, Corey lea said:

I know most of people think Gilbert is an idiot and he is the reason for last year's two losses...blah blah blah.

I know that he is capable and with Barnett or either the other two backups can really put up 45 per game. We have good weapons out wide....a very good RB room, which I think is the key. 

I think if we can score early on GT that we can beat them...they will have a hard time matching us point for point. We will win that game by 2 td's.

I like the way you snuck in the assumption that Barnett will start.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

6 hours ago, bullstampede9922 said:

I didnt watch spring game but I was under impression Kean and Chris did pretty decent.  

Strong it seems is dragging this out some so one of the quarterbacks  just takes complete control of number one position. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

21 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Blake is going to be the starter 

THAT>>>is a SWEET pass!

• Upvote 1