• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Amid criticism, USF’s Sterlin Gilbert says time needed to master offense

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

2 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Yeah, all he had to do was use last year's offense! Not like the personnel has changed at all...

I see where you are going with that BUT you lost a few guys who were being replaced mostly by guys already in that same system. You would not have your offensive coordinator saying in Game 10 that they are just learning the system.  Just have the guys keep the old playbook instead of not having one (I believe that was said somewhere early in the season).  Despite the loss of Adams and Mack there is no reason that this year's offense couldn't be putting up larger numbers than last year.  In the comparisons people are making saying the difference isn't much from the 509 to 502 I believe that we could have done better than 509 if the same offense was in place. These guys would have been in that system for the 3rd year throwing out the first year under FCWT.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

8 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

Dude, the defense shouldn't have been even close to being in that position. Our coaching staff chose t run the ball 55 times directly at the best interior lineman in the country. They chose to run the ball on first down 26 times for a total of 21 yards. We had to punt NINE times. That is what lost us the game.

We also did a lot of passing too. Houston shut down the run and beat us on a miracle.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Gismo said:

We also did a lot of passing too. Houston shut down the run and beat us on a miracle.

We did a lot of passing because we were in 3 and 10 every single time. We did not do a lot of passing on 1st or 2nd down. 

Edited by goldenbrahm1996
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

14 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

Dude, the defense shouldn't have been even close to being in that position. Our coaching staff chose t run the ball 55 times directly at the best interior lineman in the country. They chose to run the ball on first down 26 times for a total of 21 yards. We had to punt NINE times. That is what lost us the game.

Like I said, personally, I'd take my defense to win that game in that position any day. Let's also not forget the 50 kick return that setup that drive for Houston (also not on Gilbert). Sometimes, you just play a team with Ed Oliver on it. We did throw for 325 yards that game and were in a position to win with our defense.

Edited by George Jenkins

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

Like I said, personally, I'd take my defense to win that game in that position any day. Let's also not forget the 50 kick return that setup that drive for Houston (also not on Gilbert). Sometimes, you just play a team with Ed Oliver on it. We did throw for 325 yards that game.

We threw it a lot because we ran on every 1st and 2nd down for little to no gain. You don't really have a choice on 3rd and 10.

Edited by goldenbrahm1996

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,699
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

Like I said, personally, I'd take my defense to win that game in that position any day. Let's also not forget the 50 kick return that setup that drive for Houston (also not on Gilbert). Sometimes, you just play a team with Ed Oliver on it. We did throw for 325 yards that game and were in a position to win with our defense.

Q got shut down in the run. That wasn't Oliver. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

If we pass the ball half of the first down plays vs houston...I would bet we win that game. We were very predictable that game.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Should’ve kept Weist in some capacity

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

To expect this offense to just pick up and roll with the same numbers as last year is ludicrous. From a scoring perspective, we're actually performing better than I thought we would. Doesn't mean I haven't had my share of little tantrums with the predictability, but overall I really don't think we have much to complain about for a first-year system. Now...next year when we lose some more critical talent, maybe the system will be good enough and known enough to help offset.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

8 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Should’ve kept Weist in some capacity

This is the only way we were ever going to keep the GCO. Not sure Gilbert was ever going to come in here and even consider learning the previous coach's playbook.