• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Amid criticism, USF’s Sterlin Gilbert says time needed to master offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

8-1, 39.1 ppg, 2031 passing yards, 2 players on pace for 1000 yards rushing.  Seems pretty successful.

With the 100th ranked SoS and a defense that gets us tons of extra possessions.  

We were 65 SoS last year and put up similar numbers with a defense that leaked like a sieve.   

I'm definitely happy that we still control our own destiny but we should be beating people to sleep but aren't due to the lack of efficiency.   As good as this team is it could be better.....

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

8-1, 39.1 ppg, 2031 passing yards, 2 players on pace for 1000 yards rushing.  Seems pretty successful.

/thread

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

25 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I don't think would have to "learn the GCO" but he did say he didn't even watch the previous season's film in an interview.  That's a ton of Hubris.  At the very least he should've watched the film to see what his personnel was good at and maybe added a play here or there to maximize the talent on the roster.   Instead it seems he just tried to rigidly install his offense without regard to what made guys successful last season or what maximized their skill set.  

Would have been nice if he did that, but he obviously wasn't interested in CWT's playbook. He was going to do what he's always done. If we win out, the criticism obviously goes away (I think).

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Would have been nice if he did that, but he obviously wasn't interested in CWT's playbook. He was going to do what he's always done. If we win out, the criticism obviously goes away (I think).

It definitely should because A, what he did worked and B Flowers will be gone next season and the guys left on the roster have different skill sets.  

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

It definitely should because A, what he did worked and B Flowers will be gone next season and the guys left on the roster have different skill sets.  

I would have definitely liked to see the GCO back, or at least remnants of it, but as others have pointed out, it might not have looked the same without Adams and Mack. Charlie never sounded too interested in keeping that around though. Didn't he say in an interview in his first few weeks here that the 2016 offense scored too fast, not giving the defense a rest....or something like that? Sounds kinda weird that scoring too fast would be a problem for a coach, but I guess it was for CCS. I get what you're saying, but we will win or lose with Gilbert's playbook. It is what it is. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, USFBulls727 said:

Didn't he say in an interview in his first few weeks here that the 2016 offense scored too fast, not giving the defense a rest....or something like that? Sounds kinda weird that scoring too fast would be a problem for a coach, but I guess it was for CCS. I get what you're saying, but we will win or lose with Gilbert's playbook. It is what it is. 

The improvement of our defense may support this (and the fact that Woody's no longer the DC)

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

55 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

We had pass plays on 41% of our 1st down plays.

That seems way high...felt like 10%  

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

The improvement of our defense may support this (and the fact that Woody's no longer the DC)

Both these points may be correct, especially about Woodie. Wouldn't mind retaining Jean-Marie if CCS decides to bolt. As far as Weist, this would have been the year to have him here. Next year, without QF, the GCO would look a whole lot different. 

I think it's a little too soon to call Gilbert a failure, idiot, fool, etc.... we'll have a much better idea in the next couple of weeks. That UCF game is as big as it gets for us. Gilbert has a chance to shut a lot of people up on Black Friday.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The Slow Coast Offense is good, not great.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

11 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

The Slow Coast Offense is good, not great pretty.

FIFY