• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CCS and Coaching Openings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

Yep!  And if you're sitting in your office today and no one is calling or if you're not looking (even for a few minutes) you're a fool.  Please don't fall that myth "loyalty".  CCS and everyone else has it to one group, your family.

Go Bulls!

I agree, it is about family. In Strong's case money may not make a difference in his decision. A couple of things in his case would go into taking a job like Tennesee or other P5 jobs.  First, he has had 4 years making the big money already. That gives him the cushion to be picky in the job he wants. Second, it is about family, with his wife's family 45 minutes away, I am sure that comes into making a decision considering the hours required as a coach. 

I think he waits for the Arkansas job. When that opens he is gone whether it be this year or next. 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

It seems the USF fanbase has an odd relationship with CCS. 

It appears that CCS has recruited well (we will see if that is actually realized) and has brought us a good defense. But we all know he is going to leave eventually and is determined to run an offense that doesn't seem suited for our recruiting base. 

So on one hand, it could be much worse, like the Skip Holtz years.....but I don't think there will be any public outcry if he leaves. 

I think the reaction is more like, thank you Texas and CCS for your donation to our Athletic Department. Thank you for the $2.5 million buyout (or whatever it ends up being whatever year he leaves), it has been nice doing business with you. 

Edited by usf97
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Just my opinion, but it seems because of the lack of confidence by the fans in this offense combined with the expectations to be blowing every opponent out, many fans have not bought into Strong's overall coaching style.

Maybe knowing he may leave sooner rather than later leaves many fans feeling that he is more a substitute coach rather than "OUR" coach. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

No, it's not but $5M goes a lot further in MS than it does in FL. Quality of life? Well, Houston and Atlanta are short hops by air (and New Orleans isn't too far by car), 

Then his $5M wouldn't go as far as he wouldn't be living in Mississippi. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, mellobull said:

And win the peach ... if he can't win the big one then I think the big boys will pass on em .

Hate to break it to you, but all the job openings will be filled well before the peach bowl. If we make it to the peach, and Strong decides he's leaving, he won't be coaching in the game.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804

8 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

Hate to break it to you, but all the job openings will be filled well before the peach bowl. If we make it to the peach, and Strong decides he's leaving, he won't be coaching in the game.

We shall see who the coach openings affects more? Us or  UCF.   I seem to recall Houston really laying an egg once the coaching rumors got heavy and then Memphis layed an egg the previous year when Fuente left.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348

24 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

We shall see who the coach openings affects more? Us or  UCF.   I seem to recall Houston really laying an egg once the coaching rumors got heavy and then Memphis layed an egg the previous year when Fuente left.

Really hope some type of concrete Frost rumor leaks in the next week and a half...

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I'll say this about CCS... I feel better going into the UCF game with this style of play than I would have last year. I feel like this team can really control the clock (if they let Q play his game) and keep UCF's offense off of the field.

We should have had a larger lead against UH, and, we certainly should have stopped the 4th and 24. The offense wasn't allowed to play in that game, hopefully CCS learned his lesson there, and, if the team executes on the 4th down, we're undefeated.

In any event, as easy as it blame CCS for the dropoff in offense (9 yards per game and 4 points per game from last year), I can see the change in the defense and the value it brings to not have 30-second drives on offense and put them back out there. I personally think that UCF's defense is getting fatigued as the season rolls on and I think that is why our offense will run on them, control the clock, and ultimately win the game by double digits. Flowers will be himself in this game, just need to get through Tulsa on Thursday and not get caught looking ahead.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

The only 2 jobs I could see Charlie leaving USF for is UF (I don't think they really want him. If they passed on him when he was hot, I doubt they will hire him when his buzzed has cooled down) and Arkansas (who I only assume b/c he is from there), but besides that he is at a school that attracts great recruits, is getting P6 money and is coaching a team whose cupboard is already stocked. We lose a lot of seniors this year, but have much talent coming in and I do not see a major drop off next year. He has 2 years left of Kean, 3 years of Oladukan, 2 exciting freshman QBs coming in, plenty of great receiving /TE talent., 4 star running back who has game experience in Cronkite, in addition to Sands, and a lot of hungry athletes ready to shine. The strength of schedule immediately improves next year so he has a path to a NY6 bowl or even the playoffs for the next 4 years and he has a revenge game against Texas. I was wrong about Taggart leaving, but that prediction was emotional. This time, I honestly feel that USF is a much better move for Charlie. He can officially make himself the Bobby Bowden/Steve Spurrier for USF and ride out another decade and a half b4 he retires.  Personally, I think Larry Scott is the guy that wants to retire a Bull as a coach, but I think Strong is not going anywhere. My dream prediction is that Gilbert leaves for a head coaching job and that TJ Weist steps in and becomes our offensive coordinator.

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

The only 2 jobs I could see Charlie leaving USF for is UF (I don't think they really want him. If they passed on him when he was hot, I doubt they will hire him when his buzzed has cooled down) and Arkansas (who I only assume b/c he is from there), but besides that he is at a school that attracts great recruits, is getting P6 money and is coaching a team whose cupboard is already stocked. We lose a lot of seniors this year, but have much talent coming in and I do not see a major drop off next year. He has 2 years left of Kean, 3 years of Oladukan, 2 exciting freshman QBs coming in, plenty of great receiving /TE talent., 4 star running back who has game experience in Cronkite, in addition to Sands, and a lot of hungry athletes ready to shine. The strength of schedule immediately improves next year so he has a path to a NY6 bowl or even the playoffs for the next 4 years and he has a revenge game against Texas. I was wrong about Taggart leaving, but that prediction was emotional. This time, I honestly feel that USF is a much better move for Charlie. He can officially make himself the Bobby Bowden/Steve Spurrier for USF and ride out another decade and a half b4 he retires.  Personally, I think Larry Scott is the guy that wants to retire a Bull as a coach, but I think Strong is not going anywhere. My dream prediction is that Gilbert leaves for a head coaching job and that TJ Weist steps in and becomes our offensive coordinator.

Where is TJ Weist coaching?