• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong jabs back as fans attack USF's offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Here is the problem as I have explained in numerous threads.  Sterlin Gilbert has not yet tailored this offense to our players the way Taggart did.  He may get there, but hasn't yet.  Here's what I mean.  You have to actually study the film from the GCO compared to the current offense.  There are similarities, but it is not the same.  Taggart used continuous motion to throw off defenses.  He literally had maybe 10 plays off the basic jet sweep.  What happens, when you have the continous motion, is that the defense can never get set, and can never know truly who is getting the ball until it's too late.  Taggart was a master at misdirection and ball fakes.  This offense isn't.  Even if the Jet sweep receiver isn't getting the ball, it appears as though he is until it's too late for defense to adjust.  So they have to cover 5 plays in one, all of who look the same.  Get it.  I've studied it and created my own offense off of this concept.  Gilbert does have a few of these concepts, but not as many of Taggart did.

The other thing Taggart did, was he was very adept at getting playmakers in space, whether that was bubble screens or fake bubble screens, which burned defenses all the time.  He had is receivers fake like they were doing one thing (blocking, standing around, etc), then, bam they were gone.  We did this ALL the time last year.  Taggart was a master at fakes.  The other thing was he properly used the TE's down the seam at the most opportune times.

The offenses may look similar to the untrained eye, but there are major differences that make the GCO offense different that of Gilbert's.  The other thing Taggart did was not put any strings on Quinton, and just let Quinton run around and be Quinton.  This has not truly happened yet with Gilbert.  SG will get smart and start to more effectively use Quinton eventually.  Hopefully not before it's too late.

I watched parts of the Oregon game the other day, and they were running the GCO to a T, with the exact same results we had last year.  Same plays, same results.  Yes, losing Mack and Adams hurt, but we have good replacements.  I am convinced wholeheartedly, that the difference in offensive production to date is mainly due to the differences in offensive philosophy and offensive plays.  Taggart had created a basic set of plays that was virtually impossible to stop...the defense always guessed wrong.  You can call that trickeration or whatever, but it worked.  Continuous motion, ball fakes, and getting playmakers in space.  The current offense will get there, but is a work in progress.  

Edited by BullsFanInTX

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  2

that's a "jab"? always  leave it to Joey Knight to light fuel to the fire.. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

28 minutes ago, cdub3511 said:

Since when is asking for more fan support considered a jab?  Admittedly I didn't see the whole press conference but his quote in the article acknowledged the fans that did show up and asked for everyone else to get on board.  Unless I missed it he didn't call out anyone who did attend the game nor did he directly link attendance to team performance.  He just wants more butts in seats and can any of us blame him for that? 

I think we can all agree that the performance on the field thus far has not been what we expected but should that prevent CCS from asking for people to show up and support the team?  Regardless of whether you think attendance and team performance are related, It's a win for everyone if he's able to motivate more people to buy tickets and show up.  No issue from my perspective.

I think the beef comes from when he mentioned attendance. And I didn't watch the whole press conference, but it was presented as if his answer to the question of why our offense is sputtering was a retort about the attendance. Both are issues, to be sure. But, I don't know that the right answer to the the question of why our offense seems to be spinning its wheels is that people aren't showing up.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

24 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Here is the problem as I have explained in numerous threads.  Sterlin Gilbert has not yet tailored this offense to our players the way Taggart did.  He may get there, but hasn't yet.  Here's what I mean.  You have to actually study the film from the GCO compared to the current offense.  There are similarities, but it is not the same.  Taggart used continuous motion to throw off defenses.  He literally had maybe 10 plays off the basic jet sweep.  What happens, when you have the continous motion, is that the defense can never get set, and can never know truly who is getting the ball until it's too late.  Taggart was a master at misdirection and ball fakes.  This offense isn't.  Even if the Jet sweep receiver isn't getting the ball, it appears as though he is until it's too late for defense to adjust.  So they have to cover 5 plays in one, all of who look the same.  Get it.  I've studied it and created my own offense off of this concept.  Gilbert does have a few of these concepts, but not as many of Taggart did.

The other thing Taggart did, was he was very adept at getting playmakers in space, whether that was bubble screens or fake bubble screens, which burned defenses all the time.  He had is receivers fake like they were doing one thing (blocking, standing around, etc), then, bam they were gone.  We did this ALL the time last year.  Taggart was a master at fakes.  The other thing was he properly used the TE's down the seam at the most opportune times.

The offenses may look similar to the untrained eye, but there are major differences that make the GCO offense different that of Gilbert's.  The other thing Taggart did was not put any strings on Quinton, and just let Quinton run around and be Quinton.  This has not truly happened yet with Gilbert.  SG will get smart and start to more effectively use Quinton eventually.  Hopefully not before it's too late.

I watched parts of the Oregon game the other day, and they were running the GCO to a T, with the exact same results we had last year.  Same plays, same results.  Yes, losing Mack and Adams hurt, but we have good replacements.  I am convinced wholeheartedly, that the difference in offensive production to date is mainly due to the differences in offensive philosophy and offensive plays.  Taggart had created a basic set of plays that was virtually impossible to stop...the defense always guessed wrong.  You can call that trickeration or whatever, but it worked.  Continuous motion, ball fakes, and getting playmakers in space.  The current offense will get there, but is a work in progress.  

Great analysis. I hope your last line is true, but fear it's not

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

Wasn't referring to casual fans. They didn't buy tix because of the weather and the 2 games you mentioned ... the boring factor of that game had no bearing on the casual buying tix ... unless they were prescient like char.

Prescience says we'll be just as gutless at UConn as we have been. Coach hasn't had his "come to jesus" moment yet, he's still enamored of Knute Rockne et al, and hasn't woken up to the fact that Florida boys need to run something like the GCO

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,035
  • Days Won:  469

6 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

What is wrong with CCS? Fans in the stands are secondary, TV is primary.

Well this TV fan's eyes left the game multiple times.  Sort of boring and predictable play.  It makes me a bad fan, I know.  

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Strong has been the coach I've wanted since Leavitt was fired. After 2 games I am almost ready to hate him. He's literally lying to our faces and expecting us to be cool with it. We can't figure out any way at all to get D'Ernest Johnson the ball in space against bottom feeder teams??? WTF, if this has any semblance of truth, we are SCREWED for the rest of our games, sans UMASS. Maybe, just maybe, he should just be truthful and say what's reality... he has no desire to throw to the RBs - see his offense last year of what he wants to run. It's not necessarily "wrong" per se, to do that, just man up that that's the goal of your (our) offensive scheme now, and explain the benefits of said system. Or, at least say it'll be more fruitful later.

I'll donate $1000 to the Trump foundation if DJ ends up with more passes caught than last year. It's not happening.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Strong has been the coach I've wanted since Leavitt was fired. After 2 games I am almost ready to hate him. He's literally lying to our faces and expecting us to be cool with it. We can't figure out any way at all to get D'Ernest Johnson the ball in space against bottom feeder teams??? WTF, if this has any semblance of truth, we are SCREWED for the rest of our games, sans UMASS. Maybe, just maybe, he should just be truthful and say what's reality... he has no desire to throw to the RBs - see his offense last year of what he wants to run. It's not necessarily "wrong" per se, to do that, just man up that that's the goal of your (our) offensive scheme now, and explain the benefits of said system. Or, at least say it'll be more fruitful later.

I'll donate $1000 to the Trump foundation if DJ ends up with more passes caught than last year. It's not happening.

I truly feel like he has no knowledge or care in the world to be associated with the offense. He basically turned the keys over to Sterlin and backs him up on his every move 

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Obviously, CCS will be universally beloved if we go undefeated with this offense. If your only defense is "we're 2-0 stop complaining!!!" it won't hold up very well when/if we're 2-1 with a conference loss. Please don't conflate all victories as equal. At this point, we're praying that the play calling changes, either because we've seen sufficient evidence that the players don't execute it well, or because it's been some giant shark job by Gilbert to not show any tape of what's coming. Both seem unlikely, but I'll be thrilled to see the unlikely happen here. If we don't I'd wager another $1000 that we're not going undefeated.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

You mean like how you keep throwing the SBU performance out there as an excuse for the pathetic announced attendance of the SBU game .... ?

Ha that wasn't me making claims about the attendances influence in the SBU game outcome- that was Coach Strong. Me thinks you'd be served to go back to the tape...I'm sure the SBU performance by any metric is solely the responsibility of  poor play calling, lack of adjustments, coaching and dropped balls.  Me thinks you're confused.