• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong jabs back as fans attack USF's offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,546
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, dclenden said:

I dont see anyone declaring the season a bust.  No one needs to also lose a game before recognition of the problems.  This is a message board, not a metric stick to declare who the 'true' fans are and who are not.  True fans it would seem to me would be emotionally  connected and want the team to win, like you.  Calling out crappy play doesn't say anything about  the quality of the fan, sorry.  

There is calling out crappy play and there is just sh**ting on your team and giving up on the whole season.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Gatorbull325 said:

There is calling out crappy play and there is just sh**ting on your team and giving up on the whole season.

Well, perhaps this is in part a result of the preseason ranking, the Heisman talk and coming off a season where we had the ability to basically score at will.  I live in Boston and though am not on the 'pulse' of where are fans are  (short of this message board), I do sense that there is a growing sense of disappointment and I think that most have a right to be considering that it my belief that most were expecting us to take a step forward this year with improved defensive play.  I dont think many even gave much thought or serious consideration that the offense or special teams would be our achilles heal.

14 minutes ago, dclenden said:

Well, perhaps this is in part a result of the preseason ranking, the Heisman talk and coming off a season where we had the ability to basically score at will.  I live in Boston and though am not on the 'pulse' of where are fans are  (short of this message board), I do sense that there is a growing sense of disappointment and I think that most have a right to be considering that it my belief that most were expecting us to take a step forward this year with improved defensive play.  I dont think many even gave much thought or serious consideration that the offense or special teams would be our achilles heal.

I agree, i think the preseason hype made us overconfident. But everybody seems to be overlooking the huge improvement on the defense. Kind of like last year when the offensive line surprisingly stepped up. Our biggest fear was the defense and not it's our greatest strength. Once the offense catched up, then this team will be unstoppable. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

Funny thing is youre right.  Almost not a peep about the defensive adjustments and improvement.  Its caught in a cloud of offensive disappointment.  If we could just get back online a bit with what made us successful I also think wed be unstoppable.  I believe that the O line is a little confused in the assignments at time.  Its not the easiest system to acclimate to sadly.  Unfortunately (and I wish this wasnt true), Im not expecting many adjustments back to last years approach.  I think that coaches at this point are simply going to double down on  getting O line in better position and run virtually the same plays.  Lets hope it works, though Im not overtly optimistic.

16 minutes ago, dclenden said:

Funny thing is youre right.  Almost not a peep about the defensive adjustments and improvement.  Its caught in a cloud of offensive disappointment.  If we could just get back online a bit with what made us successful I also think wed be unstoppable.  I believe that the O line is a little confused in the assignments at time.  Its not the easiest system to acclimate to sadly.  Unfortunately (and I wish this wasnt true), Im not expecting many adjustments back to last years approach.  I think that coaches at this point are simply going to double down on  getting O line in better position and run virtually the same plays.  Lets hope it works, though Im not overtly optimistic.

I kind of feel sorry for the defense. They have been crapped on all last year for being the weakest link and this year they are playing great, but nobody has noticed lol 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Defense has been getting their props. Offense is meh right now, but that 28 point quarter gives me hope that there is a beautiful offense waiting to click. 

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The Defense looks better yes, but its against inferior competition. 

Its not as if it completely shut down a bad SJSU team and an inferior FCS opponent. 

Further the defense from last year couldn't possibly get worse so improvement was expected.   

A huge improvement on D is necessary if the O is going to take this big of a step backwards. 

None of the above is an excuse for the lousy attendance other than that is what this fan base is, unfortunately. 

Attendance between 40-50k (I know, too much to ask) would have resulted in a wider margin of victory vs SBU. 

These players were flat and attendance had a lot to do with it.

9 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

The Defense looks better yes, but its against inferior competition. 

Its not as if it completely shut down a bad SJSU team and an inferior FCS opponent. 

Further the defense from last year couldn't possibly get worse so improvement was expected.   

A huge improvement on D is necessary if the O is going to take this big of a step backwards. 

None of the above is an excuse for the lousy attendance other than that is what this fan base is, unfortunately. 

Attendance between 40-50k (I know, too much to ask) would have resulted in a wider margin of victory vs SBU. 

These players were flat and attendance had a lot to do with it.

in both games, there was blocked punts which led to a score. take away both block punts and that is one less touchdown. Last year the defense got manhandles against inferior opponents. But it's clear that they have dramatically improved. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, beastiebull said:

Don't know yet if SJSU is a bad team this year or not ... but, after a nonsensical 1st quarter, held them scoreless for 39 minutes.

SBU wasn't completely shut down but was darn close, only gave up a fg and a perfect storm long TD run .... but, now we start seeing how they improved they really are.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Defense is pretty dramatically improved, based on the data we have so far. Offense is pretty dramatically worse, based on the data we have so far. We've shown we can win games by having a superior offense. Naturally, it's concerning to see it regress.