• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Article: Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/29/2016 at 8:25 AM, Gismo said:

Expand to 6 team playoff... take each P5 conference champion and the highest ranked G5 team. Top 2 seeds get a round 1 bye. That is what I would like to see. 

Wouldn't work because ND would throw a fit

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bear said:

yeah, that's why we need to incorporate many of the already useless bowls;

also, they expanded the regular season in the 90s... Cut it back to accommodate an 8 (5/2/1) then maybe move to a 16 team in the future.

Also, FCS does this just fine (and that includes some Ivy league schools)

Nope, Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

I would rather they go to an eight team playoff and disband the human selection committee. Have them set up 5 to 10 different computers and run an average between them to select the top teams. That's the most unbiased and fair way I can think of at this point.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

We would become the bama of G5 if this happened

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  3

How come it is that schools with lesser athletes (FCS) can play more games per season than the schools with greater athletes (FBS)...factoring in their playoff system? Is it that we are so entrenched in the broadcast-hours-bowl-system that we "can't" have a larger playoff? Would the Heinz Extra Ketchup bowl object to a playoff because it could have a negative impact on travel (e.g. why go to the round one game when I can go to the round two game....assuming we advance?). 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

How come it is that schools with lesser athletes (FCS) can play more games per season than the schools with greater athletes (FBS)...factoring in their playoff system? Is it that we are so entrenched in the broadcast-hours-bowl-system that we "can't" have a larger playoff? Would the Heinz Extra Ketchup bowl object to a playoff because it could have a negative impact on travel (e.g. why go to the round one game when I can go to the round two game....assuming we advance?). 

the Hienz and 50¢ toy/sticker bowls are integral to the entire bowl system. 

I'm still not sure why they haven't thought about merging the playoff and bowl systems. I think that may actually grow the pot for the fox/Disney sport consortium. A larger playoff would bring more eyeballs and money. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

17 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

It's all about greed (short term)

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

Now I'm basing my FCS on EWU due to my proximity but I'd imagine most schools in the FCS operate the same. 

An 8 team playoff could work of more access bowls were utilized and the season was paired down some more (drop a game or 2), which would only benefit those 8 teams. Eastern played 10 games before the playoffs started(WSU, Northen Iowa and 8 conference games and no conference championship games). The 2 teams in the championship game play 15 games a year just like they do in the FBS. Most games played up until the playoffs are also within an hour flight of eachother (aside from a handful of schools). 

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, BrownBullsFan said:

Wouldn't work because ND would throw a fit

ND can sukit!...:backtotopic:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Some of you are forgetting that these kids also have school responsibilities. 

Extra games are not the issue.  NCAA basketball is done over three weekends with multiple games.  Football playoffs could easily take 8/12 teams for three weekends with the players off for winter holiday break.  12 teams gives a bye to the 1-4 seeded teams.  Weekend 1 at the 1-4 or 5-8 highest seeded schools stad.  Week 2 and NCG would he the current format. .