• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Article: Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

I agree that Houston had a very good chance to get in this year.  I think they started the season ranked 11th and had some big wins but dropped the ball in conference play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

If G5 did threaten to break away and stop scheduling P5 schools period would that give P5 impetus to allow the G5 an at large bid?  I suppose they could always schedule FCS instead.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

Im good on a G5 playoff. Might as well be in the FCS. Think its hard to recruit with the big boys now, wait til you have 0 chance at a real championship. As it stands now there is a slightly better chance than 0 but it's still a chance, get rid of that and we get rid of some of the recruits we normally keep home as well.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless they increase scholarships there are only so many spots to fill. If the G5 could get Fox or NBC to invest in a playoff, you could argue the exposure for achieving the goal (getting drafted) would be a greater at a top G5 school than a bottom feeder at the P5.

My only fear of a move like this would be the P5 using it as a way to legitimize cutting off all competition sooner. If I had to guess we are about 10 years away from a total split and the only way you see P5-G5 games are one and done payday games.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

7 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Maybe, maybe not. Unless they increase scholarships there are only so many spots to fill. If the G5 could get Fox or NBC to invest in a playoff, you could argue the exposure for achieving the goal (getting drafted) would be a greater at a top G5 school than a bottom feeder at the P5.

My only fear of a move like this would be the P5 using it as a way to legitimize cutting off all competition sooner. If I had to guess we are about 10 years away from a total split and the only way you see P5-G5 games are one and done payday games.

That's a big if that we could pull off a contract with one of the other networks. He'll the FCS playoffs up to the Semis were on ESPN3 only, even for someone who is 30 minutes from the EWU campus only option was ESPN3, nothing local(most of their games are local broadcast not ESPN3). A G5 split is basically putting us with the FCS. Also 5he system loses a ton of revenue with the loss of bowl games. It will happen some day I am sure but it will be the P5 making the call not the G5 and all we can do is hope we position ourselves to jump the P5bbottom feeders when the next round of realignment cranks up. If we don't get in then we will be forever stuck in CFB purgatory.

Edited by 206BULL

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

No split.

more autonomy of the G5 to lobby against the P5 to even the playing field

anti-trust lawsuits OR auto inclusion (8 team 5/2/1)

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

28 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

That's a big if that we could pull off a contract with one of the other networks. He'll the FCS playoffs up to the Semis were on ESPN3 only, even for someone who is 30 minutes from the EWU campus only option was ESPN3, nothing local(most of their games are local broadcast not ESPN3). A G5 split is basically putting us with the FCS. Also 5he system loses a ton of revenue with the loss of bowl games. It will happen some day I am sure but it will be the P5 making the call not the G5 and all we can do is hope we position ourselves to jump the P5bbottom feeders when the next round of realignment cranks up. If we don't get in then we will be forever stuck in CFB purgatory.

Ya I agree its a big if, but with Fox and NBC both aggressively going after the Mothership, who owns rights to pretty much anything CFB postseason, it may be the only play.

I also agree when the split happens it will dampen most of the shine on the team and its competition. But lets be honest USF is basically in a "separate but equal" world right now. My gut tells me the in between tier can be more popular than FCS, the fan bases of schools in pretty much all of the G5 conferences except the Sun Belt are decent enough to garner greater interest than what the FCS can.

I would be shocked if any non P5 school gets a promotion. The money is set. The goal, in my opinion, is to reduce the P5 down to 64 teams. I just dont see any school getting in that isnt already there.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

The only way a G5 team makes the playoff as it stands is if they schedule 3 top P5 teams and one mid level P5 team and beat all of them by double digits plus win all their other game by double digits. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

A G5 playoff is essentially the G5 agreeing to sit at the back of the bus and not use the same lunch counters and fountains.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

7 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

The only way a G5 team makes the playoff as it stands is if they schedule 3 top P5 teams and one mid level P5 team and beat all of them by double digits plus win all their other game by double digits. 

Top P5 teams will stop scheduling Top G5 teams...

Look at our upcoming OOC games