• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are we paying for going cheap on replacing DC Allen?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,461
  • Days Won:  25

I don't care what scheme you run, if you can't tackle the ball carrier, you lose. Tackling was atrocious Saturday.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Scheme is not a problem. An adjustment to a 4-3 base could have been made sooner but I don't think it would have mattered. The biggest surprise was how well their WR's were blocking our DB's. I think the team will regroup and will get better as the season goes on.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

3 hours ago, BDYZR said:

I don't care what scheme you run, if you can't tackle the ball carrier, you lose. Tackling was atrocious Saturday.

Piss poor even!

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

5 hours ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Watched the game again (thank @python815) and FSU D is vulnerable. We outscored them in the second half when we went back to what we do well. Jimbo wanted to run up the score and shutdown our O the entire 2nd half but was unable too and believe it or not there are positives to be had from this game. 

Unfortunately our D is not up to snuff to take down a high caliber team that likes to run. I think CRW has a lot to learn as a DC especially when playing against a team that you can't out talent. Makes the coaches have to out scheme and we just aren't there. Our O did enough to keep us in this game even with the mistakes which will be tightened up as the year goes on. The lack of blitzing is concerning and something Allen dialed up often  (maybe too much lol). From one extreme to another...

This... My only point would be that I think Taggart exposed the D too much by his play calling on offense. We weren't running Flowers, (they showed vulnerability to this vs UL) and going 3-and-out so often puts a struggling defense on the field too much. I also think that CWT should have gone for the first 4th and 1.

Having said that... anyone know if Flowers was healthy? He looked like he was really struggling to breathe out there a few times. I wonder if he was battling something that maybe made the coaching staff not use him in the run game as much.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

23 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

This... My only point would be that I think Taggart exposed the D too much by his play calling on offense. We weren't running Flowers, (they showed vulnerability to this vs UL) and going 3-and-out so often puts a struggling defense on the field too much. I also think that CWT should have gone for the first 4th and 1.

Having said that... anyone know if Flowers was healthy? He looked like he was really struggling to breathe out there a few times. I wonder if he was battling something that maybe made the coaching staff not use him in the run game as much.

Agree about letting FSU get us away from what we do on O the first half. CWT actually mentioned before the game that the D was out of gas bc the O couldn't sustain drives last year. He might have tried to change how we play a bit too much to help out the D which ended up back firing the first half. 

I too noticed Q heaving for some air the first half, interesting. 

Anyhow if my assumptions are correct CWT and company are making big strides in very little time. I am looking forward to the cincy game and USF to bounce back similar to FSU did with us. You can tell CWT has these kids mentally tough as they played a full 60 minutes of football and we weren't gassed like last year in the 2nd half. If the Bulls were able to manage that first qtr on D a little better and hit a few critical passes in the 2nd qtr the game could have had a much different complexion. 

Proud of our Bulls and lets go get it next week!! Keep doing what you are doing and bump the haters!

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I didn't bother reading through this thread because they're all starting to sound the same, but Allen's D also got gashed by Dalvin Cook and this FSU running attack. We just don't have the horses to run with FSU quite yet. Let's see if we have the horses to take the AAC before starting to call for people's jobs.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I didn't bother reading through this thread because they're all starting to sound the same, but Allen's D also got gashed by Dalvin Cook and this FSU running attack. We just don't have the horses to run with FSU quite yet. Let's see if we have the horses to take the AAC before starting to call for people's jobs.

I think you need to check your stats, buddy. Just look at what Cook did last year compared to this year.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Just for reference, Allen's Indiana Hoosiers got hosed 33-28 by a VERY meager Wake Forrest team.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/84/indiana-hoosiers

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

It wasnt all missed tackles, i rewatched the game and they had 10yd gaps to run through, our dline got absolutely owned, especially DEs, and nobody held their lanes, especially LBs...it was horrendous, we werent even in the vicinity half the time

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, dausfbulls11 said:

It wasnt all missed tackles, i rewatched the game and they had 10yd gaps to run through, our dline got absolutely owned, especially DEs, and nobody held their lanes, especially LBs...it was horrendous, we werent even in the vicinity half the time

Yup. We were getting mauled at the point of attack. When you're being physically dominated in that fashion scheme doesn't matter.