• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are we paying for going cheap on replacing DC Allen?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

I'm sure the staff will look at the tape and realize the gameplan didn't work, and fix it for next time. The worst thing hat can happen is to let this cause a hangover effect. It's time to channel Harambe and beat he Bearcats.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

Cincy is looking more like a running team with Ross Trail starting in place of Hayden Moore. He doesn't scare me in the air, but the dude is super sneaky athletic, and they do a lot more read option than they used to. Maybe a 4-3 isn't such a bad idea vs Cincy too? Switch back to that 4-2-5 stuff vs teams like SMU, Tulsa, Memphis and ECU. 4-3 vs Navy and UConn

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

It goes back to being at a school that doesn't have a $100m athletic budget. They don't care about little things like cost.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

CRW is new to this. He needs time to grow. Allen was long ready to rock at the coordinator level. My hope is that he's a real fast learner. My concern is that the game of chess coordinators play takes a long time to master.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

To be honest, I don't think there's any adjustments that Woodie could've made to dramatically slow FSU. Their OL was able to manhandle our DL. End of story.

However, the real problem is he didn't even try to adjust. We definitely should've seen A LOT of 4-3 looks with Thomas or Cherry in the front 7 instead of Godwin.

A 4-3 look would've been of negligible gain, IMO, but then at least the discussion would be about why we don't have the right type of athletes to play an elite FSU power run offense,  instead of wondering whether the DC is in over his head, which he all but confirmed. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Ionbull said:

I'm sure the staff will look at the tape and realize the gameplan didn't work, and fix it for next time. The worst thing hat can happen is to let this cause a hangover effect. It's time to channel Harambe and beat he Bearcats.

Horns out for Harambe.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I go back to the fact that Charleston Southern with half their team suspended held FSU to under 200 yards rushing and held Cook to under 100.  Scheme does matter.  However, They got torched through the air, but I would rather take my chances with Frenchy than have Cook run wild.  

Cook is a great back but his top 2 yardage games were against USF.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Watched the game again (thank @python815) and FSU D is vulnerable. We outscored them in the second half when we went back to what we do well. Jimbo wanted to run up the score and shutdown our O the entire 2nd half but was unable too and believe it or not there are positives to be had from this game. 

Unfortunately our D is not up to snuff to take down a high caliber team that likes to run. I think CRW has a lot to learn as a DC especially when playing against a team that you can't out talent. Makes the coaches have to out scheme and we just aren't there. Our O did enough to keep us in this game even with the mistakes which will be tightened up as the year goes on. The lack of blitzing is concerning and something Allen dialed up often  (maybe too much lol). From one extreme to another...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

To the original question of whether we were going cheap, I believe, from what I've heard, that the thinking was to keep a guy who would be able to run the same defense from last year and not go to a whole new scheme.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

To the original question of whether we were going cheap, I believe, from what I've heard, that the thinking was to keep a guy who would be able to run the same defense from last year and not go to a whole new scheme.

I think this maybe a little oversimplified but I am sure both of those reason are legit. The other I might add is long term stability. Take your lumps as CRW learns with the aim that he will not jump ship a la Allen.