• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you believe we could ever....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I think Mack is Heisman worthy, but he won't get the carries in this system and depth. 

Marlon Mack 193 attempts =  1,273 yards.

Derrick Henry (Heisman) 339 attempts =  1986 yards. 

If Marlon Mack had 339 attempts, he would of had ~2,237 yards in the season... Easily shattering Henry's number. 

Yeah, it's a hard comparison.

You're comparing a kid who plays for an elite SEC school and baller who runs behind an O-Line from a weaker conference.

I would love to see what Mack could do behind a Bama line or any other Big Boy School.

You would def see him in the running then.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Didnt Marshall Faulk win it at San Diego State?  Ty at BYU?

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

Consider this as the measuring stick - Randy Moss made the Heisman discussion his actual second year while playing with Marshall (Marshall's first year as a I-A program). He finished fourth in the voting. That year, Moss essentially established every receiving record in college (some have since been broken). Show me a better receiver in college than Randy Moss? I can't think of one - and Moss finished fourth behind Woodson, Manning and Leaf. We've never had a Randy Moss type player step on campus (that goes for many schools actually). Mack is a very good back - but Randy Moss was a generational player.

Given the competition I can understand why.  Your point is valid though.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

why are we competing against ourselves?

...point being a comparison between the AAC East and the SEC East (listing of the top three in each bracket) for a 'level of competition available' analogy. 

This is an apple...that is an orange. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Didnt Marshall Faulk win it at San Diego State?  Ty at BYU?

Faulk finished 2nd in 1992 and 4th in 1993 when he had 1500+ rushing with 21 TDs to go with 600+ receiving. 

Detmer won it in 1990 in a season where he set 42 different NCAA records (not to mention finished the previous year with 576 yards passing in his bowl game) and beat #1 Miami on national TV. BYU was 10-3 that year and finished ranked in the top 25. Even if BYU was a G5 program, which they're absolutely not, the season they had got him plenty of exposure to go with off the charts stats.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Faulk finished 2nd in 1992 and 4th in 1993 when he had 1500+ rushing with 21 TDs to go with 600+ receiving. 

Detmer won it in 1990 in a season where he set 42 different NCAA records (not to mention finished the previous year with 576 yards passing in his bowl game) and beat #1 Miami on national TV. BYU was 10-3 that year and finished ranked in the top 25. Even if BYU was a G5 program, which they're absolutely not, the season they had got him plenty of exposure to go with off the charts stats.

I guess BYU falls somewhere between G5 and very close to or low end P5...

I think there is a chance at the Heisman but you will probably have to break 43 NCAA records and have a top 10 ranked team.. Good luck with that!

I am shocked that Faulk was not a Heisman winner. He was amazing in College. Without looking up past Heisman winners or stats, some of the memorable players for me growing up were:

Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Crabtree, Andre Ware, David Klingler, Ty Detmer.....It felt like Ware/ Klingler/Detmer threw for 500 plus yards a game

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

There is a perfect storm for Mack to be a Heisman candidate next year.

1) He is stronger and ready to take on more load

2) We play Dalvin Cook and FSU at home next year (If Mack and the Bulls pull out that game and Mack does well...say 150 yards)

3) USF wins out, they will be favored in all their games next year except FSU.

I'm sure most of you on this board thought about all 3 things above and it's actually a possibility rather than pipe dream

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

There is a perfect storm for Mack to be a Heisman candidate next year.

1) He is stronger and ready to take on more load

2) We play Dalvin Cook and FSU at home next year (If Mack and the Bulls pull out that game and Mack does well...say 150 yards)

3) USF wins out, they will be favored in all their games next year except FSU.

I'm sure most of you on this board thought about all 3 things above and it's actually a possibility rather than pipe dream

I feel like he will have a better chance in his senior year because Fournett, Chubb, and Cook will all probably leave for the draft leaving the running back position weaker than it has been, hoping that nobody in a big school steps up to their level.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Remember the Heisman is mostly a popularity contest.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Remember the Heisman is mostly a popularity contest.

As will be our USF v. FSU home game next season. USF fans need to hang onto their seats.