• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you believe we could ever....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

We might but we would have to go undefeated and the player would have to put up monster numbers that would make any P5 players numbers look like a dwarf compared to it

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It's a matter of national attention, the strength of your team (wins), and the strength of the opponent. If Mack were playing against the perennial media darlings and putting up 100+ games against them, yeah, but he's not going to get a look running wild on ECU or Temple for example. So yeah, basically G5 consequences.

But, now, if he were running 150+ every game and had that "unstoppable" feel every time he touched the ball, I think he'd be in the hunt...even in the G5.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1200 yards in the AAC isn't getting it done. Mack wasn't even the best RB in every game he played.

Ditto for Flowers.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

It's a matter of national attention, the strength of your team (wins), and the strength of the opponent. If Mack were playing against the perennial media darlings and putting up 100+ games against them, yeah, but he's not going to get a look running wild on ECU or Temple for example. So yeah, basically G5 consequences.

But, now, if he were running 150+ every game and had that "unstoppable" feel every time he touched the ball, I think he'd be in the hunt...even in the G5.

I agree. If you look at how the Heisman voting occurs, it's also very much skewed toward teams who are the most visible in large media markets. 

For those that aren't aware, the Heisman Trust appoints six representatives for the respective six geographical divisions it divides states with in. Those six representatives are each given 145 votes to divide amongst state representatives that they have chosen within their division. Those state representatives, then, divide their allocation amongst the media members they have chosen to participate in voting. So California, most likely, ends up with far more votes than Iowa and Florida ends up with far more votes than Georgia. Every former Heisman winner also gets a vote.

So if Florida gets, let's say, 30 votes, USF would have to be visible enough to overpower the history and exposure of traditional Florida powers in UF, FSU and Miami before many media members who don't even cover USF would pay attention -- it's worse when we aren't even on a regular annual schedule with any of these teams. Someone who covers FSU is aware of UF players by virtue of playing them every year and vice-versa; the same goes for Miami and FSU. So USF faces an uphill battle within their own state in terms of Heisman awareness, let alone the rest of the U.S.

For a USF Heisman winner, I think he would have to play a traditional Florida power early in the season, destroy them, and continue to roll through the rest of the schedule with games that have more media exposure than we're currently receiving. In a way, the American is well positioned geographically to do well with Heisman voting, but if the games are buried on ESPN the Ocho, that hurts the chances a lot.

Edited by Raetus
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Flowers will be fortunate to be the starting QB next season from start to finish. Mack on the other hand - he would need to average 200 yards a game and rip through FSU's defense to be given consideration - and even then, the Heisman voters aren't going to care.

Consider this as the measuring stick - Randy Moss made the Heisman discussion his actual second year while playing with Marshall (Marshall's first year as a I-A program). He finished fourth in the voting. That year, Moss essentially established every receiving record in college (some have since been broken). Show me a better receiver in college than Randy Moss? I can't think of one - and Moss finished fourth behind Woodson, Manning and Leaf. We've never had a Randy Moss type player step on campus (that goes for many schools actually). Mack is a very good back - but Randy Moss was a generational player.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Flowers will be fortunate to be the starting QB next season from start to finish. Mack on the other hand - he would need to average 200 yards a game and rip through FSU's defense to be given consideration - and even then, the Heisman voters aren't going to care.

Consider this as the measuring stick - Randy Moss made the Heisman discussion his actual second year while playing with Marshall (Marshall's first year as a I-A program). He finished fourth in the voting. That year, Moss essentially established every receiving record in college (some have since been broken). Show me a better receiver in college than Randy Moss? I can't think of one - and Moss finished fourth behind Woodson, Manning and Leaf. We've never had a Randy Moss type player step on campus (that goes for many schools actually). Mack is a very good back - but Randy Moss was a generational player.

Marshall also lost to Miami, Oh by like 20 points that year -- you're not winning a Heisman no matter who you are losing to Miami, Oh. When you add in that they also lost to West Virginia in the first game of the season, it just wasn't going to happen. The fact that he finished fourth is amazing given what the Heisman voters always herald as their criteria.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

Flowers reminds me a lot of Pat White from WVU.  Pat was fantastic and electric but he never got closer than 6th in the Heisman ballots.  

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

We need to get into the P5

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

I think Mack is Heisman worthy, but he won't get the carries in this system and depth.

Marlon Mack 193 attempts =  1,273 yards.

Derrick Henry (Heisman) 339 attempts =  1986 yards.

If Marlon Mack had 339 attempts, he would of had ~2,237 yards in the season... Easily shattering Henry's number.

Against the AAC, also who is to say Mack would be durable with 339 carries. Mack is a good player and will likely get drafted, but C'mon man he is not on Henry's level.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

why are we competing against ourselves?

We are our own worst enemy.