• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you believe we could ever....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Barring injury, there is no way that AW is the starting qb going into into next season. The best case scenario you guys can hope for to get QF out of there is that AW is so far above him in practice that CWT faces a mutiny from his staff if he doesn't let them battle it out in the games before FSU. We've yet to be presented with a precedent where a qb with QF's overall success one year was supplanted as starter by a player who hadn't played a down of college ball.

It boggles my mind how this is so hard for people to understand ... 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Outside of injury, the only way I can see AW beating out Flowers is if he is clearly better.  With that said, I still think Flowers will be our opening day starter.

At face value, the bold statement is the biggest "duh" statement ever.  The key that you ignored in Trip's post, though, is this:

The best case scenario you guys can hope for to get QF out of there is that AW is so far above him in practice that CWT faces a mutiny from his staff if he doesn't let them battle it out in the games before FSU.

A guy with no experience who practices better than everyone else WILL NOT be supplanting a starter with a winning record and the track record that QF has, outside of injury or personal issues.  Take it to the bank.  

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

IF AW is the better QB (which I believe he is no matter how admirably QF played this season), AW should be the starting QB going into next season. Sitting a better player out of loyalty to the incumbent is a failure on the part of the coaching staff (no matter what school you're dealing with).

And how do you quantify that he is a better player, since he's never played a game?  Practice?  Sorry, but QF has already had 31 TD's in a season in those things called actual games, you know.  So unless you KNOW AW is going to rush for 1200 yards, throw for 30 TD's, and have 40 total TD's then you start QF...because he's already done it.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I feel like we've had this discussion already, and we wound up throwing JTrue and his opinion under the bus. I think I know where this one is headed for the Sheriff...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

I CANNOT believe I am agreeing with you, but I actually am. Flowers has been doing awesome lately, and I don't think we should fool around with something that's working so well. The option with Mack and Flowers back there is dangerous

Takes awhile but most finally see the light ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

And how do you quantify that he is a better player, since he's never played a game?  Practice?  Sorry, but QF has already had 31 TD's in a season in those things called actual games, you know.  So unless you KNOW AW is going to rush for 1200 yards, throw for 30 TD's, and have 40 total TD's then you start QF...because he's already done it.

Forgot the Miss Cleo angle .... so it's unless QF is injured OR a psychic medium guarantees that AW is Jameis Winston reincarnate.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

UCF lost 3 games that year before Heisman voting (and 4 if you count the bowl) and played in Conference USA -- no one is going to look at a non traditional conference team and think "Oh, they lost three games, how impressive." 

As it's been said before, things are harder in what is currently called the G5... you've most likely got to win out to win the Heisman.

yeah that is why I lowered the estimated standard for Mack to 2k yards. Smith had 2800. Not an apples to apples comparison. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

I think they actually pulled him in the 2nd or 3rd qtr if I remember correctly

He had 100 combined yards but played limited in the second half. 

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

If Flowers led us undefeated and was a 2500 passing/1000 rushing guy with 40+ combined TDs, he may get some looks. Only if we were undefeated because QBs get so much credit. 

Those numbers aren't that outrageously optimistic in my eyes for him either. He could possibly get there in the next couple years. 

Edited by FatDaddyBull

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

Cant see it ever happening. Ever ever ever.

Think about this, Blake Bortles had an amazing season at UCF and didnt even get a sniff.

Also the Heisman is a bit of a fraternity, cant ever see the elitist UFers OhioStaters of the world voting in someone from USF.

His numbers weren't that great but not bc he wasn't capable, O'leary bogged down the offense too much and stayed run first until UCF was in trouble then he opened it up and let Bortles sling it.

He wouldn't have got invited anyway. Heisman are Brand Snobs