• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you believe we could ever....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

... touch the sky?

121-i-believe-i-can-fly-20002.jpg

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

I wish I was better at statistics, but according to Wikipedia there has been 80 Heismans given to just 39 schools. So roughly a quarter of all DI schools have had the "best" player in a given year. I would place the odds at microscopic for USF to have a winner.

You have to go back 26 years to find a "non P5" school with a Heisman, BYU in 1990 and this thread already talked about Detmer. Andre Ware did it at Houston the year before when he set every record that would get demolished a year later.

If you want to find a non QB, non P5, Heisman winner you only have to go back to 1960 when Joe Bellino won it for Navy. And lets be honest that Navy team in that era was P5 so.

There are some lower tier P5s or less traditional universities thrown in there from time to time, but even that is rare. RGIII at Baylor was already 5 years ago. Ron Dayne won one at Wisconsin, which was basically a lifetime achievement award, back in 1999. Can I buy a vowel Rashaan Salaam got Colorado on the board in 1994

I guess I am saying it would take a pipe dream sequence of events for a USF QB to get it, and times that by...1,000? for Mack or any other RB from our squad. A good comparison is Kevin Smith. No not the famous one but the RB from UCF. He set the NC2A record for carries and ran for 2k yards (granted with like 4 extra games) and came in 8th nationally.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Antonio Andrews I believe was dangerously close to setting the record McCaffrey broke this season, didn't get any heisman attention. This was a few years ago with Taggart's last season at WKU (they went 7-5). 

I think Mack could go ham and get some attention. Kinda like how Matekevich just did playing for Temple. Maybe he doesn't get the trophy say next year, but the national buzz would put him in a good position for his senior year. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Flowers will be fortunate to be the starting QB next season from start to finish. Mack on the other hand - he would need to average 200 yards a game and rip through FSU's defense to be given consideration - and even then, the Heisman voters aren't going to care.

Consider this as the measuring stick - Randy Moss made the Heisman discussion his actual second year while playing with Marshall (Marshall's first year as a I-A program). He finished fourth in the voting. That year, Moss essentially established every receiving record in college (some have since been broken). Show me a better receiver in college than Randy Moss? I can't think of one - and Moss finished fourth behind Woodson, Manning and Leaf. We've never had a Randy Moss type player step on campus (that goes for many schools actually). Mack is a very good back - but Randy Moss was a generational player.

Laughable at best.  Flowers will be the starting QB at USF as long he's here and healthy.  He set USF all time records for a QB for 1) TD passes, 2) rushing yardage,  and 3) Total TD's.

The only way Flowers isn't the starting QB the next 2 years is if USF recruits the consensus #1 QB in the nation this off season...and then Flowers still might be Taggarts guy next year.

Some of you guys amuse me.  Willing to give up a guaranteed 30 plus TD's and 1,000 yds rushing by a QB to play some guy who has never played a snap of college football.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And to answer the question, the only way Mack would get looks is if had over 2,000 yards rushing.  He could do it with more carries, but with Flowers, Tice, and Johnson taking major carries away from Mack, that will never happen.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Wasn't the Memphis QB getting a good amount of mentions until they started losing?

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

Paxton Lynch and Keenan Reynolds earned Heisman talk...

I think it's very possible.... 

Laughable at best.  Flowers will be the starting QB at USF as long he's here and healthy.  He set USF all time records for a QB for 1) TD passes, 2) rushing yardage,  and 3) Total TD's.

The only way Flowers isn't the starting QB the next 2 years is if USF recruits the consensus #1 QB in the nation this off season...and then Flowers still might be Taggarts guy next year.

Some of you guys amuse me.  Willing to give up a guaranteed 30 plus TD's and 1,000 yds rushing by a QB to play some guy who has never played a snap of college football.

I'm more interested in moving AW to WR or TE or something. If he's got the speed and he's got hands, he can be used somewhere. Lest, we end up with an Ohio State situation. 

Edited by Breedwell
  • Upvote 1

I'm more interested in moving AW to WR or TE or something. If he's got the speed and he's got hands, he can be used somewhere. Lest, we end up with an Ohio State situation. 

I don't.  We need QB depth, if Flowers should get hurt.  Plus he has 3 years and Flowers only has 2, so he needs to be groomed to take over.

I don't.  We need QB depth, if Flowers should get hurt.  Plus he has 3 years and Flowers only has 2, so he needs to be groomed to take over.

That is a good point as well, so let me recant (slightly):

if AW were to get involved in anyway, I'd like to see him used in WR situations. kid's got speed. He could be used with Flowers on some packages to involve trick plays. If he's got the arm, some flea flickers or double pass type plays would be cool. Wouldn't need to have DJ throw 'em.