• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This team has a chance to be the greatest USF team in history

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

if you look at it from a newer fans perspective, it isn't a completely crazy thought.

Someone who was not around or a fan during the formative years cannot appreciate those teams.Even some who were around have been known to dwell on what was wrong with them more so than what went right. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who talk about the "three game slide in 2007" as if it were some atrocious football being played. The fact of the matter was that the first loss-- to Rutgers on the road -- was absolutely stolen from USF in so many ways. The two losses after it were not by huge margins either and winnable. I contend that the way we lost at Rutgers messed with our teams mojo to the point that it took several games before they shook that off. When we played Oregon in the Sun Bowl-- our disadvantage was depth. We held tough with them through the first half but the shear number of starters knocked out of that game had a cumulative effect by the end resulting in a devastating defeat. It was a very tough loss and IIRC there were no fewer than 10 starters sidelined with injuries before the half.

Anyway - what the current team is doing is fun and interesting to watch. It brings many of us old timers back to the days when USF football was entertaining.They have great potential but even if they run the table here-- somehow luck into a AAC-CG and win-- plus a big win in a bowl game- that will still be a hard to describe-- at least for me-- as the greatest season ever because as many point out-- the resume is somewhat watered down compared to the 2007 season. I would love to be able to debate the situation though (i.e. we win out) and I think we have some good football ahead of us regardless of the results of the rest of this season.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

Ah, I fall into the category of newer fan I suppose. I was in school and went to all the games, being in the band, but didn't pay nearly as much attention then as I do now. I remember being disappointed and wondering if my team was drunk during the bowl game because of how bad the score was. Thank you for the quick history lesson. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

And the board is out of control....greatest team....fire CWT...extend CWT contract....fire Antigua.....you guys are a real hoot.  I am excited we have a chance to play for the conference championship and since the 4th game of the season have really done a good job on offense and if you think winning the American makes this the best team in USF history I can see where you are going but to think this team would beat CJL's teams is pretty funny.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Let's hope for more than just a great season. Let's hope that in the next couple of years we are asking if our current group of underclassmen weren't part of the greatest class we've ever had. If Flowers, Mack, and the young defensive players come along we could have multiple greats on the field.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

If we go 10-4, win AAC, then win bowl, then yes, I think you could say it would be the greatest season ever.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

if we win out it will be the most successful team

no other bulls team won a conference title

this is about winning and there were not 3 let alone one team that would beat out this team if this 2015 teams runs the table

is it the most talented team ever? hard to say

when the term greatest is used is it meant talentwise or successwise

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

if you look at it from a newer fans perspective, it isn't a completely crazy thought.

Someone who was not around or a fan during the formative years cannot appreciate those teams.Even some who were around have been known to dwell on what was wrong with them more so than what went right. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who talk about the "three game slide in 2007" as if it were some atrocious football being played. The fact of the matter was that the first loss-- to Rutgers on the road -- was absolutely stolen from USF in so many ways. The two losses after it were not by huge margins either and winnable. I contend that the way we lost at Rutgers messed with our teams mojo to the point that it took several games before they shook that off. When we played Oregon in the Sun Bowl-- our disadvantage was depth. We held tough with them through the first half but the shear number of starters knocked out of that game had a cumulative effect by the end resulting in a devastating defeat. It was a very tough loss and IIRC there were no fewer than 10 starters sidelined with injuries before the half.

Anyway - what the current team is doing is fun and interesting to watch. It brings many of us old timers back to the days when USF football was entertaining.They have great potential but even if they run the table here-- somehow luck into a AAC-CG and win-- plus a big win in a bowl game- that will still be a hard to describe-- at least for me-- as the greatest season ever because as many point out-- the resume is somewhat watered down compared to the 2007 season. I would love to be able to debate the situation though (i.e. we win out) and I think we have some good football ahead of us regardless of the results of the rest of this season.

This sounds just like the UCiF jokes we tell around here.  If, if, IF?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

This sounds just like the UCiF jokes we tell around here.  If, if, IF?

No, actually it doesn't at all.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

Yep. Eighteen years is a long time to sit in those seats, week-in, week-out. The abysmal years did a lot of damage. It's not like we ever set the world on fire, but it was never sheer torture as the recent past was. That being said, turning the team around warrants merit, but the jury is still out on 'greatest ever'. All it takes is a loss to Cinci or - dare I say it - UCF, and the word 'great' will be nowhere to be found. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

Yep. Eighteen years is a long time to sit in those seats, week-in, week-out. The abysmal years did a lot of damage. It's not like we ever set the world on fire, but it was never sheer torture as the recent past was. That being said, turning the team around warrants merit, but the jury is still out on 'greatest ever'. All it takes is a loss to Cinci or - dare I say it - UCF, and the word 'great' will be nowhere to be found. 

Any loss to UCF and you will see :angrymob:

#unforgivable #OMG #butthurt #OlearysCow #lemmingsOfftheCliff

• Upvote 1