• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This team has a chance to be the greatest USF team in history

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  140

The Big East as it was when we first joined and the next five years before it was decimated by other leagues stealing teams-- that was a tougher conference to win imo than the current AAC. I would equate the current AAC with the CUSA of 2003-2010. Even the teams that make up the AAC are mostly the remnants of the old CUSA.

I would be happy if we ever win a conference championship though regardless of the makeup of that conference. I just get the feeling that as soon as the AAC shows it is consistently better than the other second class FBS-- the P5 will be back and cherry picking the top teams yet again.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

2002?  Isn't that the team that had its doors blown off by Arkansas and Oklahoma?  Don't say Oklahoma was close because we scored two 4th quarter garbage time touchdowns to make it look closer than it really was.  

The 2002 team was great, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that team would be considered better than this team IFwe win out.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

It's not that simple ^ not giving him at least a two year extension would hurt recruiting. And honestly I think he deserves it at this point

Okay, let's compare records.

#1)  13 - 12 with a bowl win and a win vs Clemson and Notre Dame

#2)  12 - 22 with a loss vs McNeese State and a win against Temple.

Those are the records when #1 was given an extension and #2 is to whom many want to give an extension.  So one AD gives an extension after #1in July of 2012 http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/34184/skip-holtz-gets-contract-extension and has been crucified and we complain about still paying the guy from #1.  Yet a bunch of people on here are insistent that we give Taggart an extension now?  And the argument for Taggart is we are trending up.  But we were not trending downward horribly after Holtz' second year.  

So let's learn from history and wait until he had one year left on his contract and then offer the extension.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I agree that you wait until he is about to enter the last year of the contract, but definitely no longer than that. My point was you don't wait two full additional years before extending a contract.

Also, we had lost 7 out of 8 games when Holtz was extended, which is a horrible downward trend that continued into his third year. Holtz was able to win with Leavitt's players, but not his own. He also inherited a program that was 25-14 over the previous three seasons, even if there was controversy surrounding Leavitt's ouster. CWT took over a program that was left in complete and total shambles. He had to try and win with players who had just gone 4-16 over their last 20 games, and had to do so at a time when it became obvious that the new conference (AAC) was going to be second-tier behind the P5. I don't think we can compare the two right now, but we agree that we can wait one more year to see the results before offering an extension.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Okay, let's compare records.

#1)  13 - 12 with a bowl win and a win vs Clemson and Notre Dame

#2)  12 - 22 with a loss vs McNeese State and a win against Temple.

Those are the records when #1 was given an extension and #2 is to whom many want to give an extension.  So one AD gives an extension after #1in July of 2012 http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/34184/skip-holtz-gets-contract-extension and has been crucified and we complain about still paying the guy from #1.  Yet a bunch of people on here are insistent that we give Taggart an extension now?  And the argument for Taggart is we are trending up.  But we were not trending downward horribly after Holtz' second year.  

So let's learn from history and wait until he had one year left on his contract and then offer the extension.  

doesn't make sense to compare their records. one took over a perennial bowl program. the other took over a program in complete shambles.

one made $2M+ while the other makes half that. one had 3 years left on his deal the other will have two left.

we should extend him 2 years this year.  not only does it help recruiting but it will show him loyalty.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I agree that you wait until he is about to enter the last year of the contract, but definitely no longer than that. My point was you don't wait two full additional years before extending a contract.

Also, we had lost 7 out of 8 games when Holtz was extended, which is a horrible downward trend that continued into his third year. Holtz was able to win with Leavitt's players, but not his own. He also inherited a program that was 25-14 over the previous three seasons, even if there was controversy surrounding Leavitt's ouster. CWT took over a program that was left in complete and total shambles. He had to try and win with players who had just gone 4-16 over their last 20 games, and had to do so at a time when it became obvious that the new conference (AAC) was going to be second-tier behind the P5. I don't think we can compare the two right now, but we agree that we can wait one more year to see the results before offering an extension.  

you never let it go until the last year. if he is even moderately successful he will be gone. not only will he have  little to no buyout(huge to new school hiring him) but he will feel no sense of loyalty since you didn't reward him earlier for a job well done.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I believe Cinci has tripped us up at critical times in the past.

That being said, next year's team will be special.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

A "contract extension" means he gets a significant raise, right? From $1.2 to $?? for ?years.

PLUS assistant coaches salaries have to go up by $????... IF we want any chance of keeping the good ones.

Don't we start paying the players next year?

Where's all this money coming from?

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Where's all this money coming from?

Lots of bake sales and car washes. Sun Dolls....grab a sponge! 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

I'm a little confused by the lovefest of the old Big East teams abs their respective power in comparison to the AAC and the strength of schedule. Where are any of those teams now?  They make better money but are they still strong, making national headlines, top 25? To someone who admittedly doesn't know any better, I feel like we attach our feelings for the old moments to justify why our old Bulls weren't as special as this team could be. Someone help me understand how it why we believe West Virginia, Louisville, Miami and the likes are better than Memphis,  Navy,  Houston, and Temple. What justifies that opinion?