• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We all were wrong about Willie T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I think now that we've seen the maturity and development of the recruiting class that was truly Taggart's first (Mack, Flowers, etc) and the changes he made in coordinators and offensive style (Tom Allen and Hope) this past offseason, Taggart has finally put it all together. Definitely had me doubting after Maryland, but it seems the offense has matured big time since then and is caching/caught up to the play of the defense. Hopefully he continues to learn and we continue to see new wrinkles in our team and in the play calling these next 2 games.

Well done Coach!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I think we are all super excited to see USF playing meaningful games in November... but let's try and maintain some grounding in reality. The minimum objective for the year to keep Willie around was bowling - he got that, he gets another year. But we have beat exactly one decent team all year. This isn't by an standard where USF should or needs to be. Things are on the right trajectory and hopefully we can build some fan support and solid recruiting to keep things going. But declarations of "we were wrong about Willie" are probably as premature as the calls to fire him after that debacle of a first game!

• Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

I think we are all super excited to see USF playing meaningful games in November... but let's try and maintain some grounding in reality. The minimum objective for the year to keep Willie around was bowling - he got that, he gets another year. But we have beat exactly one decent team all year. This isn't by an standard where USF should or needs to be. Things are on the right trajectory and hopefully we can build some fan support and solid recruiting to keep things going. But declarations of "we were wrong about Willie" are probably as premature as the calls to fire him after that debacle of a first game!

It confuses me how those who are trying to keep us grounded take #22 in the nation 8-1 temple and turn them into a "winning team"...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

It's more than just the Temple win most of these wins since Memphis have been by a few touchdowns.

Syracuse is a decent and we beat them worse than Lsu and Clemson did.

We smashed SMU and held a good offense in check.

Played Navy tough on road we were banged up going into game and if not for some dumb plays we had a chance at maybe winning.

Blew away a Temple team that kept ND under 24.

Ecu and UConn are decent teams and beat them on the road.

You gotta be dense if you don't see real improvement.  

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

I'd say with exception of Florida State, if we play any one of the teams we lost to again at this point in the season I think we win those games. That really doesn't make any difference now because we played them when we played them, but we've won 5 out of our last 6 games and we are certainly getting better as the season goes on... that's something new for us regardless of who was coaching.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112

The very same argument that has everyone on QF, "AW has never seen the field in a college game" is the exact reason why no one can make the prediction he won't be the starter next year. I agree that if all things are equal after the summer, it's QF's job to lose, but if AW is lights out in Spring and Summer, good for him and he should start.

Anything is possible it's just unprecedented to replace a battle tested gamer QB with a guy that is playing well in practice. 

You can't simulate game time speed and situations in practice.  If he is a true stud he will get some playing time during garbage time next year.   

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Anything is possible it's just unprecedented to replace a battle tested gamer QB with a guy that is playing well in practice. 

You can't simulate game time speed and situations in practice.  If he is a true stud he will get some playing time during garbage time next year.   

It's not unprecedented at all. Godfrey was a freshman All-American who got the hook after being placed on the O'Brien watch list. Look at OSU. If you're playing to win, you pick the best guy for the job. I don't know if that's AW because he's never played a down in college. But that's exactly why I can't say QF is 100% the starter next year. 

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112

It's not unprecedented at all. Godfrey was a freshman All-American who got the hook after being placed on the O'Brien watch list. Look at OSU. If you're playing to win, you pick the best guy for the job. I don't know if that's AW because he's never played a down in college. But that's exactly why I can't say QF is 100% the starter next year. 

I guess that is true.  It is a nice problem to have.  Arguing over which stud QB to play would be uncharted territory for us.  

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048

It was absurd to call for his head after two years, and many people recognized that. Hopefully he has earned some leeway with the more irrational and hair-triggered of you.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

With the exception of the Maryland game and kickoffs, this TEAM has improved week in and week out. I think this is the first time ever that we are better at the end of the season than when the season started.