• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We all were wrong about Willie T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think this is the first time ever that we are better at the end of the season than when the season started.

This.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

I think we are all super excited to see USF playing meaningful games in November... but let's try and maintain some grounding in reality. The minimum objective for the year to keep Willie around was bowling - he got that, he gets another year. But we have beat exactly one decent team all year. This isn't by an standard where USF should or needs to be. Things are on the right trajectory and hopefully we can build some fan support and solid recruiting to keep things going. But declarations of "we were wrong about Willie" are probably as premature as the calls to fire him after that debacle of a first game!

I see your point but I think we are on the cusp of something special.  We are starting to blow teams out.  We are getting punched in the mouth and coming back and eating teams lunch.  

I am pretty even keel and I don't think Cinci will know what hit them Friday.  

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

I was very disappointed in the head coach up until homecoming against Syracuse.  Something definitely changed after that Memphis game.  We clearly could have won that game.  Somebody else already said it on this thread, but maybe it was the boos from the home crowd (for the conservative calls) or the meeting with QF where he said "let me play," but something happened that caused CWT to open up this offense.  The passes have opened up the run, and it is a chain reaction.  The defense plays harder because the offense scores points.  Winning breeds winning, and it builds momentum, etc.  I honestly believed that CWT was not going to be back next year up until homecoming.  After that, I thought, well, if we continue to play offense like this, we may have a chance.  Now I can say I'm pretty happy with the turnaround and whatever change CWT made.  Now we are starting to see what the talent on this team is capable of.  This team is night and day different from the team that took the field early in the season.  Since CWT is the CEO, I say "great job!"  Now let's get Cinci.

Go Bulls!

Since CWT is the CEO, I say "great job!"

This is the thing that always gets lost for better or worse. In the end, the team is his team. Doesn't matter if the offense isn't 100% his. Doesn't matter if the defense is Allen. CWT is the CEO and it all runs through him or is delegated by him. That's what good coaches do.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

It's not unprecedented at all. Godfrey was a freshman All-American who got the hook after being placed on the O'Brien watch list. Look at OSU. If you're playing to win, you pick the best guy for the job. I don't know if that's AW because he's never played a down in college. But that's exactly why I can't say QF is 100% the starter next year. 

Like Terry trying to correlate the O'Korn situation in Houston, the Godfrey/Bortles situation not a precedent either. Godfrey was not given the hook for a player who had never played a down in college. After JG's 2010 freshman year, he still started every game but Bortles played in 9 out of the 12 games in 2011 before starting in 2012. Situation at OSU is even more dissimilar to the one that will be here. QF may not be the starter at the end of 2016 or 2017 but I haven't seen any precedent set anywhere that would show there's even a remote chance of AW opening up as starter over a healthy QF, as of this moment ..... not too mention how enamored CWT was with Wanky from the get go.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I haven't seen any precedent set anywhere that would show there's even a remote chance of AW opening up as starter over a healthy QF, as of this moment ..... not too mention how enamored CWT was with Wanky from the get go.

Mostly agree, but the past few years of QB battles tend to show CWT will start others ahead of his boy if they earn it. Granted, now that Q is "battle tested" and actually threatening records, that gives him major incumbency points, but I think you have to entertain the scenario where AW kills it in the offseason and fall camp. I just love the irony of the QB situation at the end of this season vs the end of last season--they don't get much more night/day than that. Heck, even smazza's happy!

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

CWT is learning on the job

We made it to a bowl game -- but I want to beat Cincy and UCF before we get too happy.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

Mostly agree, but the past few years of QB battles tend to show CWT will start others ahead of his boy if they earn it. Granted, now that Q is "battle tested" and actually threatening records, that gives him major incumbency points, but I think you have to entertain the scenario where AW kills it in the offseason and fall camp. I just love the irony of the QB situation at the end of this season vs the end of last season--they don't get much more night/day than that. Heck, even smazza's happy!

Exactly.  What a great thing to be be arguing about.  Just think how much better our QB's would play if they were doing it in their own OCS.  :FIREdevil:

• Upvote 1

Like Terry trying to correlate the O'Korn situation in Houston, the Godfrey/Bortles situation not a precedent either. Godfrey was not given the hook for a player who had never played a down in college. After JG's 2010 freshman year, he still started every game but Bortles played in 9 out of the 12 games in 2011 before starting in 2012. Situation at OSU is even more dissimilar to the one that will be here. QF may not be the starter at the end of 2016 or 2017 but I haven't seen any precedent set anywhere that would show there's even a remote chance of AW opening up as starter over a healthy QF, as of this moment ..... not too mention how enamored CWT was with Wanky from the get go.

Edit: It is not unprecedented for a player to lose his job to a better player. Even ones who have had a high level of previous success. Each situation is unique and therefore I may not be able to find an exact replica of ours. But it has happened throughout football history that a very successful player is beaten out by a better one.

Is this better?

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

Edit: It is not unprecedented for a player to lose his job to a better player. Even ones who have had a high level of previous success. Each situation is unique and therefore I may not be able to find an exact replica of ours. But it has happened throughout football history that a very successful player is beaten out by a better one.

Is this better?

:thumbsup: