• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another arrest for USF football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think everyone here believes in right and wrong. The question is how you make that judgement and whether you accept that there are degrees of rightness and wrongness. Haven't seen any posts that suggest otherwise. 

So what is the threshold you'd like to see for the possession of illegal prescription medicine? 5 pills or less is no penalty, move along? 10? 50? Or do you believe what he was caught with shouldn't be against the law at all? 

Personally, I draw a pretty firm line in the sand between someone deciding to smoke and popping pills. One is, for the most part, no different than drinking, which is completely legal. The other is a whole different ballgame. In order to possess those pills, there are really only a few scenarios:

1) Someone actually needs them and decided to sell them instead of taking them. Not good.

2) Someone scammed their doctor into getting them with intent to sell. Not good either.

3) Someone stole them from someone who needs them. Also, not good.

4) Someone stole them from the pharmacy they work at, then sold them. Still not good.

5) Someone forged a prescription to get them. Again, not good.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

So what is the threshold you'd like to see for the possession of illegal prescription medicine? 5 pills or less is no penalty, move along? 10? 50? Or do you believe what he was caught with shouldn't be against the law at all? 

Personally, I draw a pretty firm line in the sand between someone deciding to smoke and popping pills. One is, for the most part, no different than drinking, which is completely legal. The other is a whole different ballgame. In order to possess those pills, there are really only a few scenarios:

1) Someone actually needs them and decided to sell them instead of taking them. Not good.

2) Someone scammed their doctor into getting them with intent to sell. Not good either.

3) Someone stole them from someone who needs them. Also, not good.

4) Someone stole them from the pharmacy they work at, then sold them. Still not good.

5) Someone forged a prescription to get them. Again, not good.

Without getting into a debate about the propriety of various mind-altering substances vs others (although there's plenty out there suggesting that the legal stuff you are discussing is way more harmful than many illegal alternatives), I would just ask that we recognize that there are degrees of going astray, and that we not react like this kid is some sort of drug kingpin or  violent criminal. 

As to your specific question at the top of your post, I don't think the possession of any drug for personal use should be a felony (in FL that encompasses a serious crime punishable by more than one year in prison all the way up to death). But while that's related, it's really a different issue. 

Edited by WWMJD

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

What about rich white guys that don't pay taxes, should they be treated like violent criminals?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

I hate to admit it, but this was also my first thought.... 

I've been pulled over a few times in my college career for no reason. I allowed cops to search my car (not knowing my rights and cause I was nervous). Of course I was clean though. 

Edited by Leviathan

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

If you smoked it, would it really be there still?

the smell?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

Lets be honest being a first time offender he probably will get some diversion program so this will be a wash.  If he test positive for marijuana I believe the NCAA has a suspension policy.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Where does drug testing fit into this whole discussion? I know pot shows up, does Xanax? What are the testing rules in FL.? Random?

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174

The law is the law until its not.

If you're carrying around xanax and you don't have a prescription... that's illegal and you face whatever the law states you face.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048

The law is the law until its not.

If you're carrying around xanax and you don't have a prescription... that's illegal and you face whatever the law states you face.

Does your post actually address anything that was posted in this thread or is this just a mindless ramble

• Upvote 1