• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another arrest for USF football

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,003
  • Days Won:  469

That cop sounds incompetent

Or overly reliant on statistics and his experience. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

I'm certain they are not ok with him being locked up on a felony charge for what is alleged. I'm also fairly sure his parents wouldn't be thrilled about drug possession. But we must recognize the distinction between letting people down and actually inflicting harm on others. If disappointing your parents was a felony, we would all be in jail.

But this goes beyond simple disappointment, doesn't it, if he were to lose his scholarship and then he or his parents must fund his eduction (if that even is a possibility)?  It would be more than an inconvenience, if convicted, that he would have to check the box "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" on job applications.  Not to mention that he would be ineligible for military service or a host of other government-related jobs. 

The point is that this isn't a victimless crime.  It will have a ripple effect that will affect him and those he must support now and in later life.

I hope and pray that this, somehow, get thrown out because of lack of constructive possession evidence or other valid defense and serves as a wake-up call to him and others about what could happen if you choose to either ignore laws or associate with those who ignore them. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

But this goes beyond simple disappointment, doesn't it, if he were to lose his scholarship and then he or his parents must fund his eduction (if that even is a possibility)?  It would be more than an inconvenience, if convicted, that he would have to check the box "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" on job applications.  Not to mention that he would be ineligible for military service or a host of other government-related jobs. 

The point is that this isn't a victimless crime.  It will have a ripple effect that will affect him and those he must support now and in later life.

I hope and pray that this, somehow, get thrown out because of lack of constructive possession evidence or other valid defense and serves as a wake-up call to him and others about what could happen if you choose to either ignore laws or associate with those who ignore them. 

You are pointing to effects of the criminalization itself, not the actual act. I concede that what he allegedly did was stupid, but it was stupid because it was against the law, not because the act of possession will inflict harm on others (apart from the criminalization). My only point (as originally expressed) is that it is a real shame that some people act like this guy is a violent criminal simply because he carried a couple pills in his pocket.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,003
  • Days Won:  469

Where are those people?  At USF, in Athletics?

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112

Wait, what?  It is not a victim less crime because there are criminal consequences?  

As a casual observer of this conversation, you lost me.  That makes no logical sense. 

• Upvote 1

Where are those people?  At USF, in Athletics?

Was this directed to me? Or someone else? If me, my initial post was addressed to JTrue's comment that the felony charge meant this was much more than simply a case of someone holding a tiny amount of drugs. The problem here is that in the past ten years many crimes have been enhanced to felonies - including, as we see in this instance, mere possession of two pills.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Here's the bottom line.  Whether you agree with the law or not, the simple fact is it is a felony.  Most people know that.  They certainly know it's illegal.  I don't feel for the kid at all.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Was this directed to me? Or someone else? If me, my initial post was addressed to JTrue's comment that the felony charge meant this was much more than simply a case of someone holding a tiny amount of drugs. The problem here is that in the past ten years many crimes have been enhanced to felonies - including, as we see in this instance, mere possession of two pills.

So you misquoted me to make your point? I said it wasn't just a joint. In fact, it was possession of a schedule IV drug without a prescription and a drug that would have required obtaining illegally.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

Or overly reliant on statistics and his experience.

FIFY

Here's the bottom line.  Whether you agree with the law or not, the simple fact is it is a felony.  Most people know that.  They certainly know it's illegal.  I don't feel for the kid at all.

Again, I don't think anyone here is saying it wasn't dumb. But there's a night and day difference between what he is accused of and the almost unbelievable accusations made against Knox

So you misquoted me to make your point? I said it wasn't just a joint. In fact, it was possession of a schedule IV drug without a prescription and a drug that would have required obtaining illegally.

Perhaps I misunderstood the point of your post. My apologies if so - I thought you were saying more than just the simple "it wasn't weed." To your point here, though, marijuana (Schedule I) is actually far worse than Xanax (Schedule IV) under the law.

Edited by WWMJD