• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Surprise - More of the same

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The thing about blame going to WRs is, it's an easy assignment ... if your receivers are dropping balls, which ours are, then they definitely deserve some blame.

CWT isn't out there dropping balls.  CWT isn't out there throwing interceptions.  CWT isn't out there missing tackles.  CWT isn't out there getting out of position on plays.  He definitely deserves blame for unimaginative and predictable playcalling, yet some people will absolutely not be satisfied until CWT takes every ounce of blame for every bad thing that has occurred to USF football.  

CWT is recruiting and coaching the guys who are doing that.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

CWT is recruiting and coaching the guys who are doing that.

... And?

Blame Taggart for what he directly controls, playcalling.  There's a lot of blame there.  It's not like he has an Xbox controller hooked up to all 11 guys on the field and controls every move.  Blame the players for what they directly control.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

... And?

Blame Taggart for what he directly controls, playcalling.  There's a lot of blame there.  It's not like he has an Xbox controller hooked up to all 11 guys on the field and controls every move.  Blame the players for what they directly control.  

And if the players he recruits can't execute that's on his recruiting. If they have the ability and he isn't developing it then it's on his player development and coaching. If his other coaches aren't developing talent that's on Taggart for hiring them and retaining them.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Recruiting is always a bit of a crapshoot, especially at our level.  It's why some 5 star guys (Chris Dunkley) don't amount to a whole lot during their college days, while 2 and 3 star guys sometimes end up superstars (George Selvie).  

Based on measurable knowledge CWT has recruited pretty well.  I don't think it's really fair to knock his recruiting because we are getting top rated classes.  

Development I'll give you a partial agreement on, because I think much of the development is based on playcalling.  Our offense is nowhere near balanced.  We don't use our WRs and TEs nearly enough so it's probably fair to say that their growth is probably stunted a bit.  Our RBs though, we see, are very talented.  The case can be made that their development is coming along fine.  

Defensively we're still pretty young.  Hopefully we don't ruin them before their careers are done and they can be beasts for us.  

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

And if the players he recruits can't execute that's on his recruiting AND COACHING

. If they have the ability and he isn't developing it then it's on his player development and coaching. If his other coaches aren't developing talent that's on Taggart for hiring them and retaining them.

Recruiting - coaching = USF

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

It is consistent with how he has handled things. His comments post-Memphis weren't a mea culpa. You have to look at CWT in the aggregate and not selectively pull a quote or stat from here and there. He is who he is.

His comments were an admission that he could have done a better job of play calling. The fact you totally won't recognize that for what it was just reinforces what I said. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

It is a fact that our best players are our running backs.  So naturally, wanting to get your best players the ball, you are going to get the ball in the hands of your RB's.  You can blame the lack of balance on poor recruiting to the QB and WR positions if you want, but right now our only hope IS to get Mack, Tice, and Johnson the ball.  Price and Dillon need to get the ball more, but through 5 games we've seen nothing from the WR position. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

It is a fact that our best players are our running backs.  So naturally, wanting to get your best players the ball, you are going to get the ball in the hands of your RB's.  You can blame the lack of balance on poor recruiting to the QB and WR positions if you want, but right now our only hope IS to get Mack, Tice, and Johnson the ball.  Price and Dillon need to get the ball more, but through 5 games we've seen nothing from the WR position. 

so bench these guys and start the other wrs, or mix them up, or do something creative! Yes we want the backs to get the ball, but at what cost? We waste down after down running the same stupid plays. Where is this play action? I know Johnson can catch, why not hit him off play action? Why not line up with one in the back field and one out wide to make the defense guess where the ball is going. Mack has been running the jet crash off motion. Creativity is pretty slow on the field.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Jim McElwain inherited a Gators team that was absolutely miserable on offense.  They are much, much better this year while essentially using the same players that played last year.

So just stop with the excuse making that the coaching staff has nothing to do with on-field performance.  They aren't that much better just because he calls a better game.  They are that much better because the players are being coached better all the way around.

I don't expect a coach in three years to turn a team into a national contender. I do expect the offense to be better in year three than it was in year one.  Some people claim to see microscopic levels of improvement since year one.  I haven't seen any, yet.  Maybe I'll see some improvement over the next few games.  Right now what I see is a pathetic offense.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

Jim McElwain inherited a Gators team that was absolutely miserable on offense.  They are much, much better this year while essentially using the same players that played last year.

So just stop with the excuse making that the coaching staff has nothing to do with on-field performance.  They aren't that much better just because he calls a better game.  They are that much better because the players are being coached better all the way around.

I don't expect a coach in three years to turn a team into a national contender. I do expect the offense to be better in year three than it was in year one.  Some people claim to see microscopic levels of improvement since year one.  I haven't seen any, yet.  Maybe I'll see some improvement over the next few games.  Right now what I see is a pathetic offense.

Hard to argue with this, IMHO.  It pretty much reflects where I am at the moment.