• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Surprise - More of the same

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Clear, lucid and accurate post ..... which is pretty much wasted on the board at this time.

I really don't think anyone would disagree, or someone who understands our team at least. The gripe I have been reading is with the predictability and not throwing enough in general which is accurate and lucid when looking at the numbers or just watching the games. Let's just look at the last 2 games.

Against Maryland, Box score says 22 passes to 50 runs. 6 of those throws came in the final 4 minutes of the game. I don't remember this game as well as Memphis because it was awhile ago, however I do remember the TD in the beginning of that game to Rodney Adams was the jet sweep that Flowers basically hands the ball off after it's hiked to him but counts as a pass. So 6 throws within the final 4 minutes, and we'll say we only ran that jet sweep one time in the beginning of the game (which is probably very far off). That means in 56 minutes we threw the ball 15 times downfield. Not the worst we've seen, but not enough. 

Box score says 26 passes in the Memphis game. Let's just say 6 of those passes were the jet sweep where Flowers gets the ball and tosses it in front of him which is basically a hand off but counts as a pass (6 is fair right?). The final 2 drives of the game when we were down 24-10 he threw 11 times. So 17 of the 26 passes were basically either a jet sweep run or came within the last 3:30 seconds of the game when it was basically too late. So we threw the ball 9 times downfield in 56 minutes of play vs. 43 runs. Unless you're running the triple option that is absolutely ridiculous. When this is your game plan you're not giving your offense a chance.

It's not even like we're losing on a last second FG in these games. That would at least make some sense why his game plan and play calling is what it is. We're down double digits the majority of the 2nd half in both of these games. I'm not going to pretend like I know this team better than Taggart or anyone on here does, but it certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Taggart is hurting this offense by not throwing the ball enough. It's not difficult to be a run first team, but keep some type of balance on offense to keep the defense guessing a little bit.

Oh, and i know you're big on sources, I looked at ESPN's play by play option to figure out how many throws we had at the end of those games. 

Edited by USFbulls24

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

Clear, lucid and accurate post ..... which is pretty much wasted on the board at this time.

Steuben doesn't drink enough.  Isn't that obvious.  But I guess USF frowns on that at work.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

bananamario.gif~c200

Only thing I can contribute to this thread

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

I really don't think anyone would disagree, or someone who understands our team at least. The gripe I have been reading is with the predictability and not throwing enough in general which is accurate and lucid when looking at the numbers or just watching the games. Let's just look at the last 2 games.

Against Maryland, Box score says 22 passes to 50 runs. 6 of those throws came in the final 4 minutes of the game. I don't remember this game as well as Memphis because it was awhile ago, however I do remember the TD in the beginning of that game to Rodney Adams was the jet sweep that Flowers basically hands the ball off after it's hiked to him but counts as a pass. So 6 throws within the final 4 minutes, and we'll say we only ran that jet sweep one time in the beginning of the game (which is probably very far off). That means in 56 minutes we threw the ball 15 times downfield. Not the worst we've seen, but not enough. 

Box score says 26 passes in the Memphis game. Let's just say 6 of those passes were the jet sweep where Flowers gets the ball and tosses it in front of him which is basically a hand off but counts as a pass (6 is fair right?). The final 2 drives of the game when we were down 24-10 he threw 11 times. So 17 of the 26 passes were basically either a jet sweep run or came within the last 3:30 seconds of the game when it was basically too late. So we threw the ball 9 times downfield in 56 minutes of play vs. 43 runs. Unless you're running the triple option that is absolutely ridiculous. When this is your game plan you're not giving your offense a chance.

It's not even like we're losing on a last second FG in these games. That would at least make some sense why his game plan and play calling is what it is. We're down double digits the majority of the 2nd half in both of these games. I'm not going to pretend like I know this team better than Taggart or anyone on here does, but it certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Taggart is hurting this offense by not throwing the ball enough. It's not difficult to be a run first team, but keep some type of balance on offense to keep the defense guessing a little bit.

Oh, and i know you're big on sources, I looked at ESPN's play by play option to figure out how many throws we had at the end of those games. 

Took you 5 paragraphs to basically say what Mike did in 3 succinct sentences ... and I'm not disagreeing with what either of you said.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So after taking the blame on Saturday, he is now blaming the WRs that he has recruited and coached for three years for their failure.  Maybe you should recruit better and coach better, CWT.  Mainly coach better, because I like our current WR group, I just think they have no chance when we don't throw a ball their way for three hours then expect them to be Jerry Rice when we trying to come from behind because we didn't throw downfield the first 3 1/2 quarters.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

bananamario.gif~c200

Only thing I can contribute to this thread

Some of your better stuff, actually ...

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

It's not even like we're losing on a last second FG in these games. That would at least make some sense why his game plan and play calling is what it is. We're down double digits the majority of the 2nd half in both of these games. 

Addressing a couple points in here. FSU got a double digit lead midway through the third, Maryland had a double digit lead the whole second half and Memphis with about 10 minutes left in the 4th.  So being run heavy in the second half against FSU or Memphis in the second half wasn't crazy.  The problem is too predictable and really poor feel for the flow of the game.  To the flow issue look at the below drive in the FSU game. FSU just scored to get up 17-7 and we moved 35 yards quickly by running the ball. You don't have to pass a ton to be effective but you can't be predictable and you have to be efficient.

Third quarter we fall down 17-7 as FSU scored on their first two drives of the second half. We drive the ball and have success on three straight runs, and then we start throwing the ball and end up punting. We get 5, 14 and 16 on 3 runs and have them out of sync and then go away from that. Go tempo, prevent them from subbing and use the backs. Also, on 3rd and 7 from the 37 incomplete pass and then punt. That should be 2 down territory as it was clear FSU had found a way to move the ball.

The play by play is below.

• 1st and 10 at USF 25
    Marlon Mack run for 5 yds to the SFla 30

• 2nd and 5 at USF 30
    Marlon Mack run for 14 yds to the SFla 44 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at USF 44
    Darius Tice run for 16 yds to the FlaSt 40 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at FSU 40
    Quinton Flowers pass complete to Darius Tice for 3 yds to the FlaSt 37

• 2nd and 7 at FSU 37
    Quinton Flowers pass incomplete

• 3rd and 7 at FSU 37

• 4th and 7 at FSU 37
    Mattias Ciabatti punt for 27 yds, fair catch by Jesus Wilson at the FlaSt 10

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Addressing a couple points in here. FSU got a double digit lead midway through the third, Maryland had a double digit lead the whole second half and Memphis with about 10 minutes left in the 4th.  So being run heavy in the second half against FSU or Memphis in the second half wasn't crazy.  The problem is too predictable and really poor feel for the flow of the game.  To the flow issue look at the below drive in the FSU game. FSU just scored to get up 17-7 and we moved 35 yards quickly by running the ball. You don't have to pass a ton to be effective but you can't be predictable and you have to be efficient.

Third quarter we fall down 17-7 as FSU scored on their first two drives of the second half. We drive the ball and have success on three straight runs, and then we start throwing the ball and end up punting. We get 5, 14 and 16 on 3 runs and have them out of sync and then go away from that. Go tempo, prevent them from subbing and use the backs. Also, on 3rd and 7 from the 37 incomplete pass and then punt. That should be 2 down territory as it was clear FSU had found a way to move the ball.

The play by play is below.

• 1st and 10 at USF 25
    Marlon Mack run for 5 yds to the SFla 30

• 2nd and 5 at USF 30
    Marlon Mack run for 14 yds to the SFla 44 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at USF 44
    Darius Tice run for 16 yds to the FlaSt 40 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at FSU 40
    Quinton Flowers pass complete to Darius Tice for 3 yds to the FlaSt 37

• 2nd and 7 at FSU 37

• 3rd and 7 at FSU 37

• 4th and 7 at FSU 37
    Mattias Ciabatti punt for 27 yds, fair catch by Jesus Wilson at the FlaSt 10

Never said we needed to abandon the run. I said we need to throw more to be somewhat balanced on offense and make the defense have to guess a tiny bit. I didn't even mention the FSU game in my post so not sure what you're addressing with that one. I left the FSU game off my list simply because that's an unwinnable game in my opinion. I'll bet you'll find the exact scenario in that game too where if you take away the final drive of that game for us we didn't throw enough. 

The run heavy approach in the first half of the Memphis game and FSU game obviously worked perfectly. However, when you come out of halftime and the other side makes adjustments you have to do the same. This isn't pee wee football. Did you watch the 2nd half of the Memphis game? Coming out run heavy in the 2nd half of that game I totally understand and it's not crazy. It worked for a half we are in the game don't fix something if it isn't broken, but there has to be a point when it clicks that Memphis made a major adjustment and we aren't moving the ball at all. We are losing. Time to throw a little. 

As long as the defenses realize they have absolutely nothing to worry about regarding the pass we will struggle unless we play a far inferior opponent. Competing for a half isn't enough for me. Not anymore. 

Edited by USFbulls24

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I agree with what you said. I was just pointing out that CWT went way off into the other direction in the FSU game. In either case he is lacking any balance or even the threat of balance.  

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

A run first offense should be able to pick up a 4th and 1 against Memphis...

• Upvote 1