• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why go to Bench so early?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

I have more comfort when Bench throws, but Flowers gives us a better chance at scoring. He is a great runner. I didnt know he was that elusive.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Also, I'm not sure how much value keeping Flowers in would've had even if we wanted to work on his passing. FAMU 'S defense was gassed and they started bringing in back ups. I'd argue at that point you're probably getting a scout team look or even a less athletic and competitive look than you see in practice from the scout team defense. The difference is they can hit Flowers when given the opportunity. You give your back up the reps in situations like that, the ROI is too low if you keep your starter in.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I was actually surprised we kept all other starters in so long...there were 1s in until 2:00 or so left in the game. Getting SB some game time reps under the lights made sense to me.

Guest PCBull14

oh, overreaction...ok i'm good. This sounds like the people in section all up in arms because the offense wasn't perfect from the opening series. Takes longer to install a offense then a defense. Everyone still doubting QF didn't see what I saw. What I saw was the QB who this offense is tailor made for. Bench is the 2nd best option in my opinion. Flowers showed all he needed to and no matter how well he played, he was always coming out after the first series in the second half. Coach wanted to see better execution to start the second half. Three plays later and QF up the middle showing his fun skills and pass skills. That score put you up by 23 against a very inferior opponent , you pull your projected #1 QB at that point. 

"Famu didn't respect the pass with QF behind center" Not buying that, FAMU didn't respect the offense in general to start the game. Slowly as the offense started to come together in a real game situation, things started to change. Its just Famu but I saw what i needed to see. 51-3 with a ton of mistakes and miscues to work on in practice. I like that a lot, it would've been worse if we made no mistakes and still won 51-3. The team dominated and still can get 10x better next week. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Offense was sloppy and scored 51 points...could have been 58.

The offense will only get better with more practice. Fsu will be a good test.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Bench > Flowers

Flowers might do better in practice, but Bench is a gamer when it counts. Also, not liking the size of Flowers. Dude isn't even close to being able to see over OL. Sure he can escape pocket, but teams will force him to stay inside and rack up sacks and INT's. Flowers is certainly a better athlete though. Very versatile player.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

One thing I notice is Bench will make quick passes over the middle of the feild. No other recent QBS even attempt those passes.

But if our line cannot hold off the defense then Flowers may be the better choice.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

Bench being inserted was a pre-arranged time.  Wanted Flowers to have a series after the half and then it was Bench's turn.  No big conspiracy theories here.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

51-3. Go enjoy it and stop analyzing everything.

This

^+1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,694
  • Days Won:  424

Bench > Flowers

Flowers might do better in practice, but Bench is a gamer when it counts. Also, not liking the size of Flowers. Dude isn't even close to being able to see over OL. Sure he can escape pocket, but teams will force him to stay inside and rack up sacks and INT's. Flowers is certainly a better athlete though. Very versatile player.

Had to check to make sure this was posted AFTER the game .... thought Bench played great for the most part, but "when it counts" is early in ball games against undermanned teams that have been worn down.

• Upvote 2